advertisement

Masterchef, portion size

I didn't warm to Gary Jones, Le Manoir's Exec Chef, put me right off eating there.

don't let him put you off. It is well worth eating there, we are thinking of a return visit.

I thought he was firm but fair. I am lucky enough to count amongst my friends two people whose restaurants have 2 Michelin stars and one who used to have one star. I have been in their kitchens and it takes a certain mentality to run a brigade that can gain and retain Michelin stars.

Not modern or sexist in the French version. Chef just means "chief" and the full title is "chef de cuisine" meaning kitchen chief or possibly cookery chief. Nothing sexist there, it just reflects whos in charge.
Spot on. The qualifications in France are for "cook", too.

Got it. Cheers.

No but considered it a few years ago. Good?

L'Enclume is great, we've been twice now. The second time was in September for my birthday. The cooking is spot on, the dishes are adventurous, but not way out. Service IMO is exemplary, the room are nice (suites are better), breakfast great as well. The village of Cartmel is lovely and the local pubs are nice.

L'Enclume is great, we've been twice now. The second time was in September for my birthday. The cooking is spot on, the dishes are adventurous, but not way out. Service IMO is exemplary, the room are nice (suites are better), breakfast great as well. The village of Cartmel is lovely and the local pubs are nice.

It's close to my favourite pub - The White Hart in Bouth - so this could be a good option. I like Simon Rogan, he always comes across well.

It's close to my favourite pub - The White Hart in Bouth - so this could be a good option. I like Simon Rogan, he always comes across well.

Did you ever get a chance to eat at Roganic his pop-up in London that existed about 3 years ago? Did you know he was re-opening it as a permanent fixture on the site of the restaurant L'Autre Pied? We have a reservation for the new Roganic at the end of Jan. https://www.roganic.uk/ IMO, his finest and most adventurous cooking was done at the old Roganic, so we hold a lot of hope for the new one. His least adventurous and most formulaic cooking is a Fera also in London. A nice restaurant but having been twice now, I think it is rather safe in its cooking.

The show needs a total revamp. Every year it's the same thing and you could swap all the chefs around and we'd all be none the wiser. The predictable hyperbolic clichés from the judges need to go out the window... New host, new judges, new format desperately needed.

The predictable hyperbolic clichés from the judges need to go out the window... New host, new judges, new format desperately needed.

I disagree. In the final they clearly told Steven that he’d messed up his main course. I could live without Greg, but the other two are excellent IMHO.

A fully deserved Winner.
Yorkshire curd tart fella messed up in the four to three cook-off. Shame. And there were other dramatic exits...the standard was so high that one bad dish and they were out.
Enjoyed this series.

advertisement

Back