advertisement

Masterchef, portion size

As a proportion of the total cost the ingredients must be minimal, thus it shouldn't be much extra for a double portion.

The aspect that bothers me is that much of the food looks stone cold by the time it gets to the tasters.

There was some comment I read somewhere to that exact point. By the time the crew have finished faffing around the food is stone cold. BUT the judges will have been tasting during the cooking time and not shown on TV. The 'TV' tasting is pure theatre.

There was some comment I read somewhere to that exact point. By the time the crew have finished faffing around the food is stone cold. BUT the judges will have been tasting during the cooking time and not shown on TV. The 'TV' tasting is pure theatre.

Couldn’t they put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes?

Being serious, I really enjoy this programme - particularly when Gregg goes first on the tasting and the two totally contradict him. I’m not sure though when gravy transformed itself into a ‘jus’ or ‘reduction’.

Best meal I ever had was in a small Parisian restaurant. The portions were small, but there were 9 courses and the only course where there was a choice was dessert. I was stuffed at the end (figuratively, not literally).

Hi watching masterchef the professionals, which i quite like, but the portion size is ridiculously small, so much that there is hardly enough for the three judges to sample,fine dining does not mean small portions, so why are they getting away with this , you could get many of the dishes on a bread roll, if im paying £30 ish on a main i would not expect to have to go to the chippy on the way home,
You should be watching 'come dine with me' then - the aim seems to be to give the largest portions humanly possible for each course...

Small portions just mean eating more puddings or heading to the chippy/fridge in an hour or two. Give people decent size mains when they eat out and cut out the puddings. And while I'm here get rid of Bake Off type programmes on TV which only promote eating unhealthy and unnecessary carbs*. Give people and kids wholesome food that reduces snacking and slow down the epidemic of obesity.

* We would never allow a programme which was based on different ways to inhale tobacco.

Maybe with smoking, but plenty mentioning wine, cocktail blending, craft ales these are mentioned on various shows.

Bloss
Chris, we have a major problem with overeating with 1/3 of 11 year olds being obese/overweight. The acceptance and promotion of throwing large quantities of sugar and fat down our necks for no nutritional benefit should be tackled. Young people's consumption of tobacco and alcohol have fallen, in no small part due to the restrictions placed on TV programmes, sporting events and advertising in general.

Chris, we have a major problem with overeating with 1/3 of 11 year olds being obese/overweight. The acceptance and promotion of throwing large quantities of sugar and fat down our necks for no nutritional benefit should be tackled. Young people's consumption of tobacco and alcohol have fallen, in no small part due to the restrictions placed on TV programmes, sporting events and advertising in general.

I accept that, but taking removing temptation will be impossible.
If you want to change you alter your mindset and that is the only way to change successfully IME.
Whatever restrictions are put on smoking, drinking, over eating or whatever, I think it is unlikely to change many lifestyles, only the individual can do this IME.

Bloss

How do you change the mindset of 5-11 year olds? That requires straight-forward clear messages and the removal of worshipping sugar and fat in the media and advertising. It is alarming to see seriously overweight children.

How do you change the mindset of 5-11 year olds? That requires straight-forward clear messages and the removal of worshipping sugar and fat in the media and advertising. It is alarming to see seriously overweight children.

Jamie Oliver tried that and the whole class went for the unhealthy option.
You have to change the parents first.

Bloss

I think Oliver tried to change the attitude of the educational establishment to introduce healthy eating into schools. Parents disagreed and fed fish and chips and burgers to their children through the school fence. If you cannot convince parents you can change nothing.

How about health warnings on packets of sugar for a start. 'Eating this stuff can make you fat, embarrassed, harm your health, reduce your life expectancy and make you unlikely to find an attractive partner for life'.

I'm watching this now. Never mind the portion sizes, what about the edible moss and liquid nitrogen. Does anyone actually eat this sh*t? Whenever I hear the words 'fine dining' I want to reach for my gun.

Yes, and have you noticed that the noun "Cook" has been universally replaced by "Chef"? As if "Cook" were not smart enough. I think "Cooks" should be forbidden from being "creative," should learn to make the most of traditional dishes that have evolved over the centuries by natural selection, and only be allowed to improvise every once in a while, at their peril.

Cooks are female, but when a man does the job he is a chef.

In the UK we are lucky to have such a wide variety of cooking influences and ingredients, but our chefs need to step up to the plate. (I know.)

Monica Galetti would probably disagree.

And I think Keith Floyd, and possibly also Rick Stein, described themselves as cooks.

I do like to watch Masterchef The Professionals

That sounds like a great programme! I can imagine Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins somersaulting through a swing door then leaping up and waving their pistols from side to side at arm’s length, followed by a bemused-looking guy in a chequered apron holding a plate of ragoût de something on a reduced bed of caramelized saucette.

advertisement

Back