advertisement

Masterchef, portion size

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi watching masterchef the professionals, which i quite like, but the portion size is ridiculously small, so much that there is hardly enough for the three judges to sample,fine dining does not mean small portions, so why are they getting away with this , you could get many of the dishes on a bread roll, if im paying £30 ish on a main i would not expect to have to go to the chippy on the way home,

I think this is rather down to what anyone expects when eating out.

For me, 3 courses and 3/4 bottle of wine and I should feel comfortably satisfied, by no means stuffed, for about £40-50, which is the going rate in good/"expensive" restaurants around here (Leics.). I know plenty who'd prefer a plateful though.

Not sure that I'd expect to see any main course for £30 outside of London, unless it was something like unicorn steaks or something equally as exotic/rare.

and they like to serve it up in a pasta bowl with a three inch lip on it if you cut the lip off it would be a six inch plate, they must think we are all mugs,

What is presented on Master chef is barely even food. Over tinkered with to serve the pretentious palate. Yes it looks and no doubt tastes fine but my god the stuff has been boiled, scraped, sous vided, pickled and generally fecked to death!

Whilst some of it is no doubt strongly adapted for tv imagery, the use of some techniques & ingredients makes me wonder.
Do pro chefs use sous vide as much as they do on the show? And is the fad for “compressed” veg such as compressed cucumber common in real restaurants?
Foam & goats curd also seems prolific.
I’ve been to a few fairly high profile London restaurants recently & didn’t notice much on the menu that was sous vide, compressed or foamed.

Damned tasty is what it is. Beautiful to look at and smell. 2 weeks ago we had an 8 course tasting menu at an M*1 and it was fantastic. Last week we we ate at an M*1 brasserie place - 3 courses and I was satisfied and not full.

It is certainly not pretentious - it is a way of cooking that is there to preserve as much flavour and texture as possible. Any additional process (picking etc) are to enhance flavour and texture

If you don't like the quantity's there are lots of "as much as you can eat" places where you will be welcome with your elastic wast band trousers. ;)

Me I would prefer two courses and feeling comfortable afterwards.

Pete

I assume it's possible to have a quality meal and not feel hungry at the end? Mind you, I far prefer to cook for myself.

Do pro chefs use sous vide as much as they do on the show?
When they are in manufacturing mode, yes, I think that they do. SV is a manufacturing technique aimed at getting large quantities of food to precisely the right temperature, and hence cooking stage. Imagine having to get 30 steaks to the table at the same time, all cooked to order. Tough task, no? Yes, we can all cook one steak to perfection, but 30 at once? So they sear the outside to get the colour and then slap it in the SV to get the core to the right temp. They then all sit there waiting for the moment. When the moment comes the "well done" boys get another minute, the mediums 30 secs a side, the rares nothing and the "bleu" weirdo gets his steak with its arse wiped and put on the plate. Blam. 30 steaks, 2 minutes flat.
SV is used in ready meals factories, the upmarket ones. Gets a great result, very consistent.

I’ve been to a few fairly high profile London restaurants recently & didn’t notice much on the menu that was sous vide.
No, you won't because they don't say. They don't say the meat's been in the fridge either.

I do like to watch Masterchef The Professionals, but when all's said and done, when I'm hungry, nothing hits the spot like a bacon butty.

I assume it's possible to have a quality meal and not feel hungry at the end?
I've managed it more than once. Probably the best meal I've ever had was at a resto in France, I think that it now has a Michelin star or two. It was a New Year meal, started at 8.30pm, 5 or 6 courses, dessert finished around 11.45. Saumur brut delivered at 11.50-55, toasts, handshakes, coffee and petits fours at 0015. The portion management was impeccable. At no point did I feel unable to eat the next course, I was just hungry enough to appreciate what was coming next, and I got halfway through the petits fours before I thought "enough". That's skill. Judging the pushing the plate away moment to the last chocolate.

This kind of meal doesn't appeal to people who want their dinner to be a big plateful of steak and chips every time they go out, so they should choose otherwise. Nobody's winning Masterchef on the back of a plate of steak and chips.

I have eaten in a £200 a head Michelin restaurant and I would have to say the food was bollocks apart from one dish with one prawn which was delicious. The service and wine flight was out of this world. I don't think I have ever had a three or four course restaurant meal where every course was superb and matched by the service. Mind you my favourite meal which is KFC hot wings does vary depending on which franchise you visit.

I had a 17 course meal in Osaka, Japan once. Very prestigious and formal. As we finished and descended in the lift my colleague & I looked at each other and said we fancied a decent meal as we were still hungry.

One course had been a couple of mushrooms - very rare, only available for a couple of days a year or something. Tasteless as far as I could tell.

Japan has a reputation for eating all sorts of odd things. I did eat everything on my travels - the trick is to ask what it was AFTER you had eaten. After a while I had enough and I took my hosts to the local Hard Rock restaurant - which was great and they still served Saki in square wooden boxes.

Other nights you discover that Japan do do a sort of curry and another restaurant served a local speciality which was very similar to a Calzone Pizza

advertisement

Back