advertisement

Massdrop X Noble X Universal IEMs

richth

Off the record, on the QT, and very, hush-hush.
There's some Massdrop X Noble X Universal IEMs on Ebay right now.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They are not even a bargain at £10, every single review of these iem’s when they came out in 2016 absolutely slated them for the muddy bloated dead sound, they won the award of most pointless iem of the year.

Oh no! Maybe that's why they're so cheap. I thought I'd stumbled on a bargain and was doing a solid by sharing. Oh well.

I remember when they came out as all the build up chatter amongst the rabid noble fanboys on headfi was as if the second coming of Christ was about to drop but upon release and in the hands of generally well trusted reviewers it very quickly turned sour to the point that the thread was locked for a while as the fanboys we’re spitting the dummy out.

As for balanced armatures, back in 2005 as a relative newbie to “headfi” I bought the Etymotic er4-p as I had read quite a bit about it on the forums but no matter what I did it sounded flat and uninvolving with anemic bass - the very essence of neutral. And the insertion depth whilst great for isolation was uncomfortable after 30 mins, the cable was so microphonic that the slightest touch would transmit so much noise through the iem that you had to be sitting down whilst listening to them, it was impossible to use them whilst moving.

Perhaps they had a use as “true monitoring iem’s” in a studio/recording session environment but for general listening to normal music they fell woefully short.

All BAs lack bass to a certain extent compared to dynamic drivers. They'll never satisfy a bass-head. That's why some manufacturers put dynamics for the bass in with BAs for mids and highs. But I wouldn't like to have my words think no BAs can make adequate bass. They definitely can. I have Westone W60 and W80. They both have a great bass signature. My stalwart Westone UM3X are, or were (one channel died recently) very flat in response. Very accurate I would say. Less pronounced bass than the "W" series but that's what the UM3X were for, use as stage monitors.

The meteors above have more bass than many elevated bass (to Harman target) iems’, I listen pretty much exclusively to electronic music with sub bass below 20hz and I can tell you these meteors have absolutely no problem , I think you’d be surprised as to how far the technology and engineering has progressed over the years, quite a few of the largest bass response iem’s use armatures exclusively, if at all possible you should give them a listen as I think you’d be surprised.

Here is the meteor in blue compared to the £1200 sennheiser IE900 which is considered a bass head iem with its single direct driver and special acoustic Helmholtz resonator technology

Here is precogvisions review of the ie900’s and the sheer amount of bass from the iem’s

advertisement

Back