advertisement

Markus Sauer RIP.

If you didn't know you never would have guessed Markus was gravely ill.

In recent online conversations with me, he was equally stoic and optimistic and always began by asking me how I was doing.

We lost a fine human being yesterday.

Joe

I would echo everything in your post Joe. Only a few days ago, Markus was emailing detailing how he would be out of hospital for the Christmas period following the latest bout of chemo. It was difficult to determine from his writing that he was so gravely ill - even though we knew the prognosis was not good from an early date.

The picture that I posted on the first page was taken on the day that we took Markus to meet Ken Shindo and to visit Ken's Tokyo demonstration room to hear his fabled Garrard 301. It was a day that Markus had very much been looking forward to (being a Shindo owner of some years) and one that will stay in the memory. Both men have now sadly left us.

Markus was a very special human being indeed.

Truly shocked to read this just now.

I'm sure we'll all miss his considered and kind contributions.

My sincerest condolences to his family.

Sorry to hear the news of an untimely passing. Did not know Markus other than what he posted but he always was a steadying presence. RIP

Very sad to hear this. I never met Markus but a quick search of the forum confirmed my impression that he was an intelligent and funny man who always made a positive contribution. A great loss indeed.

I am utterly shocked and saddened , he was a true gentleman, we would meet up in Munich
and discuss mostly, children .
An intelligent and fine human being, I will miss him.
Mike if you could pass on my sincere condolences to his family.
Keith.

I can only concur with what everyone else has said. One of those rare people who can make you like and respect him even with the briefest online acquaintance.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Quite affected, despite not being active on here anymore. Herr Sauer had an aura over here. The kind of man it would have been nice to have known in real life, I'm sure.

rip

R.

One thing to add to my earlier post is to point out for those who maybe didn't know that Markus was also a very highly respected audio reviewer and columnist. His knowledge was in depth, technical and exceptionally broad in scope - pfm has unquestionably lost one of it's best brains. I learnt so much from him. I'll cite as an example a rather wonderful column piece for Stereophile he wrote back in Jan 2000 about the then emerging obj/subj debate (article here). It is interesting to contrast his intelligent, balanced and informed words with what came later here from others of both sides. I should really stick a link in the site FAQ to that one! It is well worth googling around for Markus's audio reviews and comments, he was never less than interesting and informed, and as someone who once ran a Verdier/Shindo/VOTT system had an audio rig beyond what many of us have ever experienced. I'll miss him terribly.

+1

With no opportunity for an audition then, I bought a Naim Aro on the strength of his review.

Very sad news indeed - I first came across his work in Stereophile where he wrote a wonderful appraisal of the Aro which I only came to fully appreciate how right he was when I finally got to demo it. Was delighted when I saw him on PFM more recently. For me he was one of the few people who I trusted in reviews and commentary on audio equipment.

May he rest in peace.

This is really very sad news, especially for his wife and young son. I had no idea he wasn't well. We've had a few battles over the years but always in good humour and with respect. Love to his family and friends.

RIP Markus. A steady hand in some rough audio waters. My condolences to his family and friends.

Ally

indeed, sad news, and of course unexpected. I shall miss Markus' reasoned, clear, intelligent contribution to all manner of discussion here at PFM. RIP, Markus. Condolences to his family and friends.

Rico

It says everything about Markus that it has been difficult to keep up with all the condolences in this thread. I always looked forward to reading his thoughts whenever I saw his name. His knowledge and decency always came across. I respected Markus and I send my heartfelt sympathies to his family and friends.

advertisement

Back