1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Markus Sauer RIP.

Discussion in 'reference' started by merlin, Dec 15, 2015.

1. tones

tones Tones deaf

+2 (hundred probably)

2. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

A sad loss, always very erudite in his comments.

3. merlin

merlin pfm Member

I would echo everything in your post Joe. Only a few days ago, Markus was emailing detailing how he would be out of hospital for the Christmas period following the latest bout of chemo. It was difficult to determine from his writing that he was so gravely ill - even though we knew the prognosis was not good from an early date.

The picture that I posted on the first page was taken on the day that we took Markus to meet Ken Shindo and to visit Ken's Tokyo demonstration room to hear his fabled Garrard 301. It was a day that Markus had very much been looking forward to (being a Shindo owner of some years) and one that will stay in the memory. Both men have now sadly left us.

Markus was a very special human being indeed.

4. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Doh, I remember now, that was the year of your accident.

5. DavidY80

DavidY80 Not RoHS Compliant

Truly shocked to read this just now.

I'm sure we'll all miss his considered and kind contributions.

My sincerest condolences to his family.

6. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Sorry to hear the news of an untimely passing. Did not know Markus other than what he posted but he always was a steadying presence. RIP

7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Very sad to hear this. I never met Markus but a quick search of the forum confirmed my impression that he was an intelligent and funny man who always made a positive contribution. A great loss indeed.

8. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

I am utterly shocked and saddened , he was a true gentleman, we would meet up in Munich
    and discuss mostly, children .
    An intelligent and fine human being, I will miss him.
    Mike if you could pass on my sincere condolences to his family.
    Keith.

9. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I can only concur with what everyone else has said. One of those rare people who can make you like and respect him even with the briefest online acquaintance.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

10. wheres vuk

wheres vuk pfm Member

Quite affected, despite not being active on here anymore. Herr Sauer had an aura over here. The kind of man it would have been nice to have known in real life, I'm sure.

rip

R.

11. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

+1

With no opportunity for an audition then, I bought a Naim Aro on the strength of his review.

12. Richard Nichola

Richard Nichola pfm Member

13. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Very sad news indeed - I first came across his work in Stereophile where he wrote a wonderful appraisal of the Aro which I only came to fully appreciate how right he was when I finally got to demo it. Was delighted when I saw him on PFM more recently. For me he was one of the few people who I trusted in reviews and commentary on audio equipment.

May he rest in peace.

14. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

+1

See comment above!

15. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

This is really very sad news, especially for his wife and young son. I had no idea he wasn't well. We've had a few battles over the years but always in good humour and with respect. Love to his family and friends.

16. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Just remembered I bought my first real hifi, many years ago, from Markus a Nap 110 and 32.5.

17. Cav

Cav pfm Member

+ however many...

18. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

RIP Markus. A steady hand in some rough audio waters. My condolences to his family and friends.

Ally

19. Rico

Rico Registered User

indeed, sad news, and of course unexpected. I shall miss Markus' reasoned, clear, intelligent contribution to all manner of discussion here at PFM. RIP, Markus. Condolences to his family and friends.

Rico

20. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

It says everything about Markus that it has been difficult to keep up with all the condolences in this thread. I always looked forward to reading his thoughts whenever I saw his name. His knowledge and decency always came across. I respected Markus and I send my heartfelt sympathies to his family and friends.