1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Markus Sauer RIP.

Discussion in 'reference' started by merlin, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Terrible news. RIP Markus.

2. Nero

Nero pfm Member

Whaaaat? Terrible news indeed. I had several off-forum conversations with Markus and he always came across as very knowledgeable and helpful on PFM too.
    He will be missed, and condolences to family and friends
    RIP

3. bor

bor eurotrash

I'm completely shocked by this sad news.

Condolences.

4. strummer

strummer pfm Member

RIP Markus

5. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

+1.

I didn't know him but he always seemed so, well, nice. And I mean that as a massive complement.

Rob.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

One thing to add to my earlier post is to point out for those who maybe didn't know that Markus was also a very highly respected audio reviewer and columnist. His knowledge was in depth, technical and exceptionally broad in scope - pfm has unquestionably lost one of it's best brains. I learnt so much from him. I'll cite as an example a rather wonderful column piece for Stereophile he wrote back in Jan 2000 about the then emerging obj/subj debate (article here). It is interesting to contrast his intelligent, balanced and informed words with what came later here from others of both sides. I should really stick a link in the site FAQ to that one! It is well worth googling around for Markus's audio reviews and comments, he was never less than interesting and informed, and as someone who once ran a Verdier/Shindo/VOTT system had an audio rig beyond what many of us have ever experienced. I'll miss him terribly.

7. joel

joel mojo working

Markus was a nice person in exactly the sense you mean it.

8. Lambros

Lambros pfm Member

Very sad news - RIP Markus.
    My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

Lambros

9. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

Sad news. He was one of the good guys.

RIP

10. antinchip

antinchip pfm Member

RIP Markus.

11. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Very sad news. I will miss his contributions and light touch. RIP Markus.

12. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

First cliffpatte an now Markus. PFM loses another major contributor to the forum.

Very sad news.

RIP Markus.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Another loss for the PFM family.
    RIP

14. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

RIP Markus.

Pete

15. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

I first met Markus in 2005 at a hi-fi nerdathon at Bub's place. I liked him immediately, his dry sense of humour, his knowledge, and his love of music. I spent time with him and Mike and Joel in Tokyo in 2007, when we all went to the Tokyo Audio Show together (despite being treated as a VIP by all the exhibitors, Markus was typically modest and unassuming, and was very happy to hang about with us plebs). He stayed with me a couple of times, in London and in Hastings, and we spent hours talking and about music, politics, and (occasionally) audio. I know he was absolutely devoted to his wife and his young son, and that they will miss him terribly.

He was a fine man, intelligent, kind, funny and thoughtful. It was a privilege to call him a friend.

[​IMG]

16. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

I'm shocked and very saddened to hear this. I didn't even know he was ill never mind as gravely ill as has been explained to me this morning. A terrible loss.

RIP Markus.

17. joel

joel mojo working

er... I didn't go that year :) Other than that, 100% agreed. Markus was a fine person.

18. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

If you didn't know you never would have guessed Markus was gravely ill.

In recent online conversations with me, he was equally stoic and optimistic and always began by asking me how I was doing.

We lost a fine human being yesterday.

Joe

19. IanW

IanW pfm Member

20. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

As fine a thing as can be said.

Markus, we'll miss you.