advertisement

Mains Cables

Chaps

The easiest way to cure the problem of obsessive nerds taking over the forum on cables is to make it compulsory viewing for their wives and children.

The kids would mercilessly take the piss out of them and their wives would almost certainly leave and divorce them.

I suspect that some of them are in fact already divorced and living with their Mum. Their systems complete with ****y cables installed in their little bedroom upstairs. The highlight of their day being when Mum brings them a cup of tea.

Regards

Mick

A large collection of fine ale, Belgium beer and locally-brewed lager from Burton springwater amasses itself today with white wine for the ladies. I might even open the Jameson Irish Whiskey, a gift from a staunch objectivist PFMer (who is in fact a perfect gent) who visited last week. The listening sesh should commence about 2ish in the living room.

My wife is aware of the political implications of denying folks a mind of their own and she agrees that the cables in use made a difference having commented herself that the saxaphone on Stacy Kent's Breakfast on the Morning Tram was previously a rather strident and unpleasant assault on the lugholes.

My wife agrees that the cables made a difference having commented that the saxophone on Stacy Kent's Breakfast on the Morning Tram was previously rather strident and unpleasant

That's the only way in which I figure mains cables could make a difference, by filtering stuff out, removing stuff. I don't see how that can add anything. Certainly the systems I've heard that belonged to people who advocated this 'round earth' approach all sounded rather boring and strangled.

But of course Naim now sell mains cables! Maybe they've found a way to tame their strident boxes at last? ;0)

That's the only way in which I figure mains cables could make a difference, by filtering stuff out, removing stuff. I don't see how that can add anything. Certainly the systems I've heard that belonged to people who advocated this 'round earth' approach all sounded rather boring and strangled.

But of course Naim now sell mains cables! Maybe they've found a way to tame their strident boxes at last? ;0)

The cables only strip away glare and noise. The dynamics of the music are actually ameliorated.

That's the only way in which I figure mains cables could make a difference, by filtering stuff out, removing stuff. I don't see how that can add anything.

Very logical. How do 2 plugs and a length of cable filter and what are they filtering? Its best not thought about, just trust your experience. I waiting for my man. 26$ in my hand.

A large collection of fine ale, Belgium beer and locally-brewed lager from Burton springwater amasses itself today with white wine for the ladies. I might even open the Jameson Irish Whiskey, a gift from a staunch objectivist PFMer (who is in fact a perfect gent) who visited last week. The listening sesh should commence about 2ish in the living room.

My wife is aware of the political implications of denying folks a mind of their own and she agrees that the cables in use made a difference having commented herself that the saxaphone on Stacy Kent's Breakfast on the Morning Tram was previously a rather strident and unpleasant assault on the lugholes.

Steven

Everyone has the right to spend their cash on whatever they want. How you test or trial those products is entirely down to you.

It all becomes tiresome when you rant on adnauseum and the other guy does the same in reverse over and over again.

You disagree with each other - so what, do you really care what someone else thinks.

Regards

Mick

Chaps

The easiest way to cure the problem of obsessive nerds taking over the forum on cables is to make it compulsory viewing for their wives and children.

The kids would mercilessly take the piss out of them and their wives would almost certainly leave and divorce them.

I suspect that some of them are in fact already divorced and living with their Mum. Their systems complete with ****y cables installed in their little bedroom upstairs. The highlight of their day being when Mum brings them a cup of tea.

Regards

Mick

Have you stopped dealing to lower life trash now?
Regardless in all sincerity

Steven

Everyone has the right to spend their cash on whatever they want. How you test or trial those products is entirely down to you.

It all becomes tiresome when you rant on adnauseum and the other guy does the same in reverse over and over again.

You disagree with each other - so what, do you really care what someone else thinks.

Regards

Mick

You are quite right Mick. That said, threadcrappers peddling their own political agendas warrant a thorough rebuttal. Unfortunately it takes several exchanges before they finally get the message and know their place.

;)

I must have very pure electricity and environment.

I have no idea what mine is like. Certainly I noticed the difference when I fitted the separate ring/spur for the Hi-Fi, cleaner and more solid sounding. All but my turntable PSU have captive cables though so even if I wanted to try ****y mains cables I couldn't. Not something I loose sleep over though.

You are quite right Mick. That said, threadcrappers peddling their own political agendas warrant a thorough rebuttal. Unfortunately it takes several exchanges before they finally get the message and know their place.
But what is a "thread crapper"?

Is it an objectivist who tries to promote a view different from that of a subjectivist?

Is it a subjectivist whose views do not agree with those of the majority of subjectivists?

Is it anyone who disagrees with the more self-important members of this forum?

And you,using Aquapiranhas post as a foil, completely side step my question.

If his points were,as you say ,valid then they were valid and not wronged by anything else he said.

I hold no brief for either camp and am loath to prolong this thread but you state that ...." there is evidence (albeit subjective and empirical) ".. .Evidence cannot be subjective it can only be empirical...they being opposites. 'Evidence' that is subjective is merely opinion. I deny no one the right to their opinion but when people claim their opinion is fact I bow out.

em·pir·i·cal   [em-pir-i-kuhl]
adjective

2. depending upon experience or observation alone, without using scientific method or theory, especially as in medicine.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empirical

sub·jec·tive   [suhb-jek-tiv]
adjective

1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought ( opposed to objective).
2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subjective?s=t

Are you saying that evidence can be empirical, but can't be subjective? That seems odd, given the definitions above.

And with regard to Aquapiranha's post, he very effectively sabotaged his own argument by the simple expedient of making personal remarks, which virtually guaranteed that somebody would take him to task about those personal remarks, rather than engage with the substantive argument. It's almost as if he'd rather play the name-calling games than actually defend a clearly-stated position.

But what is a "thread crapper"?

Is it an objectivist who tries to promote a view different from that of a subjectivist?

Is it a subjectivist whose views do not agree with those of the majority of subjectivists?

Is it anyone who disagrees with the more self-important members of this forum?

The problem lies with the fact that the thread at the outset isn't a subjectivist/objectivist debate. It is a request for feedback from PFMers who have tried available products.

The thread is then derailed by the interventionists.

Look at how many different products were mentioned before the thread was crapped upon.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions regarding the existence of any audible difference but this is a separate discussion that warrants a separate thread. One was even set up for this purpose but a certain type of evangelical militant type of objectivist deliberately derails the thread in their role as self-appointed self important consumer nanny.

One trade member has even stated to the effect that it is his duty to be more than perfunctory in this role at every opportunity.

Wouldn't it be a refreshing change if those who doubt the performance advantage of high end mains cables etc just stayed out of the thread and let those that do chat away. Sadly they must impose their belief on everyone else and spoil everyone's day, sigh

Why can audiophools not stand a contrary view?

I am not going to impose my belief on anyone. I am, however, going to state it. Mains cables do not effect the sound of a system one iota.

Chris

Again. Abuse, followed by a statement of a position. What's wrong with just stating a position without the personal remarks?

Would the objectivists be able to contain their interventionist urges until at least page 3 to allow the alternatives available on the market (including the affordable options*) to be fully explored first or is the intervention deliberately intended to prevent this from even taking place?

*I guess preventing readers from learning about the affordable options, i.e. around the fifty quid mark not several hundred or even thousand of pounds ensures that a certain straw man doesn't burn.

Again. Abuse, followed by a statement of a position. What's wrong with just stating a position without the personal remarks?

Where is the abuse :)rolleyes:)???

How can anyone be so wet as to see 'abuse' :)rolleyes:) where none is evident nor even intended.

Please stop with the abuse word, it's a misuse of it.

Find yourself a more congenial playground and stop crying.

No doubt that's abuse too?

yes the 'abuse' word has become a bit of a common bandied around expression when people don't feel like actually discussing anything on this audio discussion forum....it's a very stifling thing to accuse people of along with the usual 'angry' or 'aggressive' etc etc when any sensible person would realise that there is none intended or even hinted at in most cases...

Where is the abuse :)rolleyes:)???

How can anyone be so wet as to see 'abuse' :)rolleyes:) where none is evident nor even intended.

Please stop with the abuse word, it's a misuse of it.

Find yourself a more congenial playground and stop crying.

No doubt that's abuse too?

Spoken like a true "audiophool".

We are all audiophools - REJOICE!

advertisement

Back