advertisement

Mains Cables

Timhum

Yes I totally agree and what is even more surprising is that the topic is as dull as ditchwater and is as about as important as if did you have a cheese sandwich or a ham one for lunch on this day 22 years ago.

Some of this lot would fight over a sheet of toilet paper.

Still it makes good entertainment seeing obsessives squabble over nowt..

Regards

Mick

MICK!!!

Welcome back homey!

I've missed a certain pomposity here of late. Even Steven doesn't compare.

I'm delighted.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

"Using the blind ABX protocol, we failed to hear any differences between an assortment of generic power cords and Nordost Valhalla. Therefore, we cannot conclude that different power cords produce a difference using the blind ABX protocol. However, we also cannot conclude that there are no differences. We simply failed to prove that differences can be detected to a statistically significant degree using a blind ABX protocol."

Swapped out/downgraded the interconnect temporarily on my Rega isis to Preamp today. Went form my usual Cardas Golden Ref to the supplied profi/rega cable.

The difference, the reduction in all things good was MINDBLOWING

like going from a NAC552 to a NAC12 :cool:

ive no doubt you percieved a difference. it just wasn't real, because it cannot be.

there are things that matter. Room Acoustics, Impedence Matching, set up of the TT correctly, speaker angle/toe in/setup...

but cables? no.

Third party being those who haven't tried or don't "know", I guess, Lou. In which case the sensible thing to do is for the non-believers to say "don't waste you're money" and the believers to point out firms who offer 30 or 60 day sale or return such as Mark Grant or Clearer Audio, or to suggest buying second hand. That way those who fall in to neither of the camps that I mentioned don't lose out if they want to try out fancy mains cables.
Or by third party do you mean dealers? Again, do it on sale or return so the dealer only gets the sale if the punter likes the product.

What I mean is that the ones that are doing the most promoting online (through surrogates occasionally) are in fact industry people.

Louballoo

Reading a few of these threads ( and there have been many many of them ) my reading of the Objectivists POV is the the Subjectivists claim that they can hear the difference when they have bought a more expensive (it always is ) cable and added it to their system. The Objectivists want to know (as I see it ) if the Subjectivists could tell whether the cable had,or had not,been substituted if they,the Subjectivists ,had been blindfolded and the cable was,or was not ,changed around by an impartial third party.

So the evidence that you think is being invidiously called for is hardly invidious. Can the Objectivists 'tell' in a simple blind test when a cable is being swapped in or out of their system? In a blind test?

They all claim they can when they themselves change the cables around.

All the Objectivists seem to ask is 'would you show me that you can tell with a simple test'

I would really like the answer to that question because I could start on a whole new upgrade path if it were to be the case.

You see, this kind of makes my point. Aquapiranha makes some perfectly valid and reasonable points, then goes and soils his own backyard by some fatuous reference to unicorns, and a parting shot about 'the gullible' and 'fools and their money', clearly intended to assert that those who disagree with his position are gullible fools.

And thus, the possibility of a reasoned debate is immediately scuppered. Ironic, since the objectivists' view is, essentially, put forward as the voice of reason.

And you,using Aquapiranhas post as a foil, completely side step my question.

If his points were,as you say ,valid then they were valid and not wronged by anything else he said.

I hold no brief for either camp and am loath to prolong this thread but you state that ...." there is evidence (albeit subjective and empirical) ".. .Evidence cannot be subjective it can only be empirical...they being opposites. 'Evidence' that is subjective is merely opinion. I deny no one the right to their opinion but when people claim their opinion is fact I bow out.

That's just too sensible. We can't have people making up their own minds in the comfort of thrir own homes without a salesman present, can we?

Yes we can. Russ Andrews have been doing this for years. Try it at home, if you don't like it, send it back and get your money back.

Since they're still in business, can we assume they don't get too many sent back....?

Quick Question:

I have a load of EU headed pre moulded cables, a lot of recent equipment comes with a whole family of different headed IEC mains leads. Is it safe to lop them off and terminate with UK 13A plugs or ought I sling them in the WEEE waste bin?

Quick Question:

I have a load of EU headed pre moulded cables, a lot of recent equipment comes with a whole family of different headed IEC mains leads. Is it safe to lop them off and terminate with UK 13A plugs or ought I sling them in the WEEE waste bin?

Perfectly safe to snip a Euro plug off and replace with your own UK mains plug

Evidence cannot be subjective it can only be empirical...they being opposites. 'Evidence' that is subjective is merely opinion.

Quite true, but all listening tests are subjective! The objectivists just don't seem to get this, or at least they won't admit it. They claim that facts are on their side when all they have are the results of a different kind of subjective listening test. When you appreciate this it makes their arrogance on the matter seem all the more unreasonable.

How about spot the cable in a blind ABX? Is that subjective or objective?

Subjective, they all are. A different configuration, still just a subjective opinion.

If listening tests really are subjective, how come subjective listeners shy away from blind listening tests?

For the same reason that objectivists, or should that be objectionables, dismiss the results of long-term listening, it doesn't give the results they want.

I don't know if mains cables make a difference. I don't really care to be honest. What does bother me is when the objectionables ruin every thread in which others try to have a discussion about something they don't agree with. If they don't think cables make any difference, fine, they are entitled to their opinion. But it's selfish and unhelpful to turn every thread on the subject into repetitive squabble that can never reach consensus or conclusion. I think they hope that by their militant antagonism they can bully others into giving up talking about the subject, or at least make participation in the threads as unattractive as possible. It's nasty.

Chaps

The easiest way to cure the problem of obsessive nerds taking over the forum on cables is to make it compulsory viewing for their wives and children.

The kids would mercilessly take the piss out of them and their wives would almost certainly leave and divorce them.

I suspect that some of them are in fact already divorced and living with their Mum. Their systems complete with ****y cables installed in their little bedroom upstairs. The highlight of their day being when Mum brings them a cup of tea.

Regards

Mick

Yes we can. Russ Andrews have been doing this for years. Try it at home, if you don't like it, send it back and get your money back.

Since they're still in business, can we assume they don't get too many sent back....?

You missed the sarcasm. There is at least one person on this thread who thinks that after-market mains cables should be banned. In the wider poilitical sphere his vision of Utopia is clearly a rather grotesque authoritarian nanny state where all but the most banal of decisions and choices are denied to the general populace. It is based on a misanthropic premise that human beings are too feckless to be permitted to think for themselves and that a severe curtailment of their freedoms is for their, our, own good.

He would ban the orgasm.

That said he is probably a troll.

advertisement

Back