1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mains Cables

Discussion in 'audio' started by garysummerhill, May 6, 2012.

1. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

+! to that. I loved it, esp. the Vortex game.

(NB remember to be careful how you address an Aspidistra.)

2. arthur

arthur Banned

That would be no ability to indulge Steven.

Please keep your statements accurate, there's a good fellow.

3. arthur

arthur Banned

MICK!!!

Welcome back homey!

I've missed a certain pomposity here of late. Even Steven doesn't compare.

I'm delighted.

4. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

"Using the blind ABX protocol, we failed to hear any differences between an assortment of generic power cords and Nordost Valhalla. Therefore, we cannot conclude that different power cords produce a difference using the blind ABX protocol. However, we also cannot conclude that there are no differences. We simply failed to prove that differences can be detected to a statistically significant degree using a blind ABX protocol."

5. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

ive no doubt you percieved a difference. it just wasn't real, because it cannot be.

there are things that matter. Room Acoustics, Impedence Matching, set up of the TT correctly, speaker angle/toe in/setup...

but cables? no.

6. louballoo

louballoo Banned

What I mean is that the ones that are doing the most promoting online (through surrogates occasionally) are in fact industry people.

Louballoo

7. Joe

Joe pfm Member

And you,using Aquapiranhas post as a foil, completely side step my question.

If his points were,as you say ,valid then they were valid and not wronged by anything else he said.

I hold no brief for either camp and am loath to prolong this thread but you state that ...." there is evidence (albeit subjective and empirical) ".. .Evidence cannot be subjective it can only be empirical...they being opposites. 'Evidence' that is subjective is merely opinion. I deny no one the right to their opinion but when people claim their opinion is fact I bow out.

8. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Subjective or objective assessment?

9. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

How would you prove the absence of a difference, other than by quoting a conclusion from one test, as above.....?

10. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Yes we can. Russ Andrews have been doing this for years. Try it at home, if you don't like it, send it back and get your money back.

Since they're still in business, can we assume they don't get too many sent back....?

11. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Quick Question:

I have a load of EU headed pre moulded cables, a lot of recent equipment comes with a whole family of different headed IEC mains leads. Is it safe to lop them off and terminate with UK 13A plugs or ought I sling them in the WEEE waste bin?

12. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Perfectly safe to snip a Euro plug off and replace with your own UK mains plug

13. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Yay! And a spares cable box is born!
    My life is coming back together.

14. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Yes...that was his point.

15. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Quite true, but all listening tests are subjective! The objectivists just don't seem to get this, or at least they won't admit it. They claim that facts are on their side when all they have are the results of a different kind of subjective listening test. When you appreciate this it makes their arrogance on the matter seem all the more unreasonable.

16. ultrawomble

ultrawomble Sith Lord

How about spot the cable in a blind ABX? Is that subjective or objective?

P.S. If listening tests really are subjective, how come subjective listeners shy away from blind listening tests?

17. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Who says, generally-speaking, that they do?

18. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Subjective, they all are. A different configuration, still just a subjective opinion.

For the same reason that objectivists, or should that be objectionables, dismiss the results of long-term listening, it doesn't give the results they want.

I don't know if mains cables make a difference. I don't really care to be honest. What does bother me is when the objectionables ruin every thread in which others try to have a discussion about something they don't agree with. If they don't think cables make any difference, fine, they are entitled to their opinion. But it's selfish and unhelpful to turn every thread on the subject into repetitive squabble that can never reach consensus or conclusion. I think they hope that by their militant antagonism they can bully others into giving up talking about the subject, or at least make participation in the threads as unattractive as possible. It's nasty.

19. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Chaps

The easiest way to cure the problem of obsessive nerds taking over the forum on cables is to make it compulsory viewing for their wives and children.

The kids would mercilessly take the piss out of them and their wives would almost certainly leave and divorce them.

I suspect that some of them are in fact already divorced and living with their Mum. Their systems complete with wanky cables installed in their little bedroom upstairs. The highlight of their day being when Mum brings them a cup of tea.

Regards

Mick

20. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

You missed the sarcasm. There is at least one person on this thread who thinks that after-market mains cables should be banned. In the wider poilitical sphere his vision of Utopia is clearly a rather grotesque authoritarian nanny state where all but the most banal of decisions and choices are denied to the general populace. It is based on a misanthropic premise that human beings are too feckless to be permitted to think for themselves and that a severe curtailment of their freedoms is for their, our, own good.

He would ban the orgasm.

That said he is probably a troll.