advertisement

Mains Cables

I've always thought that any filtering is done within the power supplies of any unit, the capacitors. If you have some serious noise in your mains, ground loops for instance, surly you'll be better off fixing the problem.

I've always thought that any filtering is done within the power supplies of any unit, the capacitors. If you have some serious noise in your mains, ground loops for instance, surly you'll be better off fixing the problem.

Have you read none of the last million cable threads - you have to go out and buy squillion quid audio quality mains cables, never consider a proper mains supply or properly designed kit where the power supply does its job of supplying power and blocking interference.

em·pir·i·cal   [em-pir-i-kuhl]
adjective

2. depending upon experience or observation alone, without using scientific method or theory, especially as in medicine.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empirical

sub·jec·tive   [suhb-jek-tiv]
adjective

1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought ( opposed to objective).
2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subjective?s=t

Are you saying that evidence can be empirical, but can't be subjective? That seems odd, given the definitions above.

A slightly longer,more complete definition for you to ponder.In this definition I take the use of "observation" to mean 'to observe with scientific rigour' such that the observation is repeatable by anyone anywhere under the same prevailing circumstances.

Quote......

Empirical
This article is about the concept in science. For other uses, see Empirical (disambiguation).
The word empirical denotes information acquired by means of observation or experimentation.[1] Empirical data are data produced by an observation or experiment.

A central concept in modern science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based, that is, dependent on evidence or consequences that are observable by the senses. It is usually differentiated from the philosophic usage of empiricism by the use of the adjective empirical or the adverb empirically. The term refers to the use of working hypotheses that are testable using observation or experiment. In this sense of the word, scientific statements are subject to, and derived from, our experiences or observations.[citation needed]

The standard positivist view of empirically acquired information has been that observation, experience, and experiment serve as neutral arbiters between competing theories. However, since the 1960s, Thomas Kuhn[2] has promoted the concept that these methods are influenced by prior beliefs and experiences. Consequently it cannot be expected that two scientists when observing, experiencing, or experimenting on the same event will make the same theory-neutral observations. The role of observation as a theory-neutral arbiter may not be possible. Theory-dependence of observation means that, even if there were agreed methods of inference and interpretation, scientists may still disagree on the nature of empirical data.[3]

Contents [hide]
1 Variations
2 See also
3 References
4 External links
Variations

In a second sense "empirical" in science may be synonymous with "experimental." In this sense, an empirical result is an experimental observation. In this context, the term semi-empirical is used for qualifying theoretical methods which use in part basic axioms or postulated scientific laws and experimental results. Such methods are opposed to theoretical ab initio methods which are purely deductive and based on first principles.

In statistics, "empirical" quantities are those computed from observed values, as opposed to derived from theoretical considerations.

In economics, "empirical" generally refers to statistical or econometric analysis of numeric data. Other forms of observation-based hypothesis testing are not considered to be "empirics."

The use of the adjective empirical, especially in scientific studies using statistics, may also indicate that a particular correlation between two parameters has been found, but that so far, no theory for the mechanism of the connection is known.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions regarding the existence of any audible difference

I suppose that's true, but the elephant in the room is that if mains cables could ever make any difference to the output of your hi-fi, then we would have to fundamentally re-define our understanding of electricity.

It would be a bit of a "biggie", as scientists say.

Have you read none of the last million cable threads - you have to go out and buy squillion quid audio quality mains cables, never consider a proper mains supply or properly designed kit where the power supply does its job of supplying power and blocking interference.

Sorry, i really need to catch up :D

I suppose that's true, but the elephant in the room is that if mains cables could ever make any difference to the output of your hi-fi, then we would have to fundamentally re-define our understanding of electricity.

It would be a bit of a "biggie", as scientists say.

I'm sure the answer lies in the complexities of Quantum theory...

It would be fun to strip all the cables sockets etc out of the wall from the consumer unit to the hi-fi sockets and lay the whole cobbled together string of B&Q tat on the floor so you could see it all. I wonder how many would still believe that adding a special last metre could do anything at all?

A slightly longer,more complete definition for you to ponder.In this definition I take the use of "observation" to mean 'to observe with scientific rigour' such that the observation is repeatable by anyone anywhere under the same prevailing circumstances.

Quote......

Empirical
This article is about the concept in science. For other uses, see Empirical (disambiguation).
The word empirical denotes information acquired by means of observation or experimentation.[1] Empirical data are data produced by an observation or experiment.

Well, fair enough, except that the context of my post should (I would hope) have made it clear that my use of the word 'empirical' was not in the scientific sense, but more in the 'dictionary' sense.

I'm sure the answer lies in the complexities of Quantum theory...

do you think quantum changes in near atomic levels effect the impact the speaker makes on air molecules and that our ears are that good that they can perceive those possible quantum changes baring in mind the signal to noise in a room and the noise in wire?

cos' i'm not so confident.:p

ive no doubt you percieved a difference. it just wasn't real, because it cannot be.

there are things that matter. Room Acoustics, Impedence Matching, set up of the TT correctly, speaker angle/toe in/setup...

but cables? no.

Hmmmm ...

It was completely real thanks. In fact there's a big enough difference between the Gold ref and the regular cross cable from the same company which are fairly similarly priced.

In my experience, folk like you are operating from a very heavily defended position. Usually this is very little to do with what a cable/lead can and can't do but everything to do with one or more of the following:

1. having to bash/refute the positive effect of certain products because you basically can't afford them and that annoys you

2. having to bash/refute the positive effect of certain products because you don't have a good enough system to hear the differences and that annoys you

3. having to bash/refute the positive effect of certain products because you lack the capacity to actually hear the differences and that also annoys you

In every system i've ever owned interconnects have made a marked difference just in the same way as power supplies, adding hicaps, playing a crap cd compared to a well mastered one, a worn out cartridge compared to a newloy run in one, a £400 cd record deck compared to a £10000 one. You weren't here at the time of any of these systems but I can tell you that only an idiot wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. :p

1. having to bash/refute the positive effect of certain products because you basically can't afford them and that annoys you

2. having to bash/refute the positive effect of certain products because you don't have a good enough system to hear the differences and that annoys you

3. having to bash/refute the positive effect of certain products because you lack the capacity to actually hear the differences and that also annoys you

my misses is better looking than yours so i don't give a shit....:D

To be fair, I think one other possible reason might be:

4. having to bash/refute the positive effect of certain products because you sincerely believe there can't be a difference, and it annoys you that not everybody adopts the same standpoint.

advertisement

Back