advertisement

Magazine

Heh! The real Magazine are great live at the mo. Providing John Doyle can get some more time off work. Enjoy.

Anyone else been to their recent concerts? Curious to kn ow what set they are playing- going to the Edinburgh date during the Festival. Shall be spliffified.

Saw them in February they were excellent. The Set list for then was

* The Light Pours Out of Me
* Model Worker
* Great Beautician In The Sky /The Honeymoon Killers (medley)
* Because You're Frightened
* You Never Knew Me
* Rhythm of Cruelty
* I Want To burn Again
* This Poison
* A Song from Under the Floorboards
* Permafrost
* The Book
* Twenty Years Ago/Definitive Gaze (medley)
* Parade
* Shot By Both Sides
ENCORE:
* Thank You (fallentime...)
* Motorcade
2nd encore:
* I Love You You Big Dummy

I believe that they will be doing a run through of "The Correct Use of Soap" this time around. I'm going to see them at the Royal Festival Hall

Just saw Magazine tonight. Dreadful sound 'engineering'- Howard's voice ( not the most powwerful at the best of times) and Dave Formula's excellent keyboards were obliterated by flatulent bass n drums. The guitarist owed this much to the late John McGeoch- he used a Yamaha SG2000 and he used enough flanging to hide one or two bum notes. He also looked like Tony Iommi's love child. At points the band sounded to have met for the first time.

What Howard needs is to go 'unplugged'

Actually the youtube clip on your link sounded better than the live sound last night. I take back my comments about the playing- it was the balance that made the band sound crap. Mixed from under the floor boards.

They did.

I felt that during the 'Soap' bit they did not quite gel at times, though Devoto was entertaining throughout.

I think the RFH wasn't the right venue for them, being seated, but things really picked up when Devoto said "You don't have to sit down you know".

Also - spotted in the Royal Box was Mr Robert Wyatt.

well they did eventually - first few songs being met with an increasing number of calls to turn the guitar up.
Far better after the intermission. Slightly disappointing after the Forum gig in Feb - but Tonje and I still enjoyed it

Heard them on Later with J.... tonight, doing Shot by Both Sides. They sounded fantastic- the sound engineer at the concert I attended in August was clearly deaf or stoned or both.

advertisement

Back