advertisement

Macros

Bub - have you been checking the Blowers website?

Something that could match your "terracotta" T shirt...

W2868-2.jpg

[youtube]pIQ-283wKgg[/youtube]

Hmmm. I think I'd prefer something a little more understated and refined than Ms Gaga....

547585096_9d6829b86e.jpg

Now that is rather nice.

The angle (wheel in focus bottom, not top - and the steel above it), focus on the wheel and turn the steel into foreground bokeh, play with the light to get something reflecting and things I'd immediately waste half a day playing with.

Note to self - cure OCD before getting a macro lens.

Hi Jonathan,

I took several before I got one with the wheel almost stationary. About ninety-several! I agree it would be better if the wheel was perfectly in focus. I'll have another go at some point.

James, yes cropped.

bub.

i don't think the macro approach is going to yield very many artistic successes for you with this subject matter. you are "zooming" in on a man-made object here, and there is a limit to what you will find--in terms of variety and novelty. you have also the disadvantage of working in almost a 2-dimensional space. my gut feeling is the other direction. if hard pressed to do something with what you've shot above, i would place the open watch amidst 25 white eggs on a white background. very vaguely, something along the lines of "bikini island" in this set:
http://vukfoto.com/i.php?g=66&p=1&i=3&til=beach_ziif

vuk.

vuk.

I fear you are correct. It's all a bit forensic.

I like the one where the forks are attacking the watch.

P.s. Here's another pic of my 1971 Submariner 1680. I know "Rolex" is a big turnoff for most people who associate it with "bling", but I think this watch is stunning. The tritium dial and hand lume has long ago degraded to a creamy patina, and the matt dial is perfect. Plus, it's a rare "Red", hence the background.

If you don't love watches, it won't mean much.

5728307748_9163b96328_b.jpg

<begins to wonder whether preference for blurry pic of forks attacking a defenceless watch says something about me>

Bub,

I'm not a watch guy, but your submariner looks like a very spiffy watch. There's an automatic Seiko I like that looks a lot like it, but I now fear you're going to kill me for saying that.

new.jpg

Joe

Joe,

Not at all. All mechanical wristwatches are more or less obsolete these days, so it's very encouraging to see that there is still a demand for them. That one has an in-house movement, and appears to be a Rolex "tribute" watch, which is no bad thing.

advertisement

Back