1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mackerras conducts Beethoven on Radio 3

Discussion in 'music' started by Tam Pollard, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Tam Pollard

Tam Pollard pfm Member

Starting at 7:30 this evening, Radio 3 will be Broadcasting the Beethoven symphony cycle that Charles Mackerras did with the SCO (and the Philharmonia for the 9th) at this summer's Edinburgh festival.

These really were special performances and I urge forum members to tune in. I've said several times here that the Mackerras/RLPO cycle on cd is my favourite (and given it can be had for just £8 including postage on HMV's website at the moment, there's no excuse for not owning the set), however, these performances seemed to eclipse them in just about every regard. I've not heard the first sound so witty, nor the 8th so dangerous, nor the thunderstorm in the pastoral sound quite so like a storm, nor the finale of the 7th taken so briskly and with such excitement (no mean feat from a man approaching his 81st birthday). I could go on, but the best advice is to listen for yourselves.

It was part of an interesting experiment in programming with 3 concerts on 3 evenings in each of the 3 weeks of the festival: a Beethoven symphony at 5:30, a Bruckner at 9:30 and some filler in the middle. The Beethovens are being broadcast in tandem with the Bruckners (which were done with a range of conductors and orchestras).

Tonight we get the firsts (Sakari Oramo and the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra are on duty for an absolutely stunning Bruckner reading), with 2 and 3 following on Wednesday and Friday respectively. I can also recommend Thursday's programme which comes from the Belcea quarted (sans Mrs Belcea who was heavily pregnant) and I'm told by those where were there that Saturday's Meistersinger was quite something too.

regards,

Tam