advertisement

Mac mini missing USB output

Not sure it's the software DV. I've tried iTunes, JRiver and Roon. The option for USB isn't available. When I had my PS Audio DS DAC, I was able to plug a USB cable in and the option simply appeared in the sound and midi menus on the mac. I think it's a compatibility thing to be honest. I may try going backwards with the operating system. Annoying.

If you have a suitable USB memory stick or disk why not install an earlier version of OS X on that and boot from there?

Cheers,

DV

High Sierra (latest OSX) is indeed a black hole for audiophiles. Just then I got everything working under Sierra....am not looking to upgrade my audio/video computer to High Sierra any time soon. And I must concur that this indeed sound likes USB driver/software incompatibility. If you can roll back your computer to Sierra, or possibly El Capitan.

High Sierra (latest OSX) is indeed a black hole for audiophiles. Just then I got everything working under Sierra....am not looking to upgrade my audio/video computer to High Sierra any time soon. And I must concur that this indeed sound likes USB driver/software incompatibility. If you can roll back your computer to Sierra, or possibly El Capitan.

The problem started in Sierra, I rolled mine back to El Capitan and it worked ok.

OP needs to confirm that the USB converter in the DAC is based on the M2Tech Hiface before doing anything else.

The problem started in Sierra, I rolled mine back to El Capitan and it worked ok.

OP needs to confirm that the USB converter in the DAC is based on the M2Tech Hiface before doing anything else.
For the record I have Amarra running under High Sierra working O.K. However I am using the FW interface to my Weiss DAC.

Cheers,

DV

For the record I have Amarra running under High Sierra working O.K. However I am using the FW interface to my Weiss DAC.

Cheers,

DV

How is any of that relevant to the OP's issue?

To the OP, it does look like Vitus uses the Hiface converter but not sure about the newer models. Looking at threads on CA it seems to have been an issue in Mavericks as well.

I'd look at a standalone usb to spdif converter rather than downgrading OSX.

How is any of that relevant to the OP's issue?

To the OP, it does look like Vitus uses the Hiface converter but not sure about the newer models. Looking at threads on CA it seems to have been an issue in Mavericks as well.

I'd look at a standalone usb to spdif converter rather than downgrading OSX.

Since you have raised this question I'll take the time to answer it.

1. We know Apple is in the process of merging iOS into OS X hence macOS
2. When I upgraded to the latest iOS 11 this OS informed me that 5 of my apps were not compatible and must obtain revised versions from the providers. So far 4 out of 5 apps now work again.
3. The OP has tried 3 music players and none work so maybe they also need revising?
4. My old version of Amarra (2+ years old) and a complete version behind the latest release works although I'm using it with FireWire and not USB. This would indicate that the problem is not with the apps themselves.
5. My experience with 10.13 and iPads (see above post) where moving these onto a logical USB3 Hub rather than a logical USB2 Hub causes iTunes to not recognise their existence.
6. macOS doesn't automatically mount USB devices certainly not iPads nor myTomTom Go however these do communicate with the OS and are shown in the 'System Information'. However Windows and Unbuntu will automatically mount these devices. So it seems that macOS relies on the specific applications themselves to 'look' for their owned devices.
7. I am therefore beginning to think that macOS 10.13 has changed the presentation of USB connected devices perhaps in a very minor way such that these applications can no longer find nor hence communicate with the devices for which they are looking.
8. Booting from an earlier none macOS may result in these applications working again.

Maybe. After all the OP opened this thread with "I hope someone can help."

Cheers,

DV

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all you help and suggestions.

My Vitus DAC is indeed based on the M2Tech. This was confirmed by Vitus. I was simply advised to download the driver from the M2Tech website. This didn't solve anything though.

So I set about going back a few OSX's, but got myself in a bit of a pickle (I'm not too hot with computers). Took my Mac to a IT guy we use at work who got my Mac working from an older OS. This didn't solve anything. However, this time when I downloaded the M2Tech driver, it worked!

So it seems to be a Sierra issue. My Mac now feels a bit dated. Lebrowski, how do I now go forward to El Capitan?

I believe you will have to use a USB to s/pdif converter, make sure that it is compatible with the latest version of OSX.
Keith

advertisement

Back