advertisement

Mac mini missing USB output

79kage

pfm Member
I hope someone can help. I'm trying to get my Mac mini to play my audio files via USB to my DAC. I had no problems with my PS Audio DAC, but with my new Vitus DAC the option has disappeared in the sound output menu? I have tried downloading the driver, but by all accounts, it should just work with a mac!

In 'system information' under hardware/USB, 'Vitus Audio USB 24/192' is listed. So the two machines have communicated. I just don't know why the option is no longer in the sound menu?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi setup

Have a look there as you may need to set your DAC as the default output there

At one time Vitus used, I believe M2Tech to OEM their USB interface, unfortunately M2Tech had all sorts of problems with Apple software upgrades, as suggested check ‘audio -midi’ first.
Keith

Thanks guys. I've been there (audio midi) already and the USB option isn't listed. Maybe just a compatibility issue then. A little frustrating...

You may need to contact Vitus again I believed they switched to an “amenero’ board, those were made by the chap ( again I believe) who wrote the original code for M2Tech,
Keith

Have you tried restarting your Mac? Certain chipsets (not sure about Vitus) seem to be sensitive to the order in which the DAC and source are connected.

Hi Keith. I sent Vitus an email last night. Just awaiting their response.

Strictly Stereo, I've tried the old turn it off-turn it on in different sequence. No joy.

Have you tried unplugging any other USB devices if present. I have had that work sometimes especially with USB powered devices although of course the Vitus isn't.

Which version of the Mini are you using and also what version of MacOS are you using.

Finally is the Mac local to the Vitus or are you using a long or foo cable. I have certainly had issues with longer USB cables.

Vitus might replace the board FOc with a bit of luck or there are plenty of reasonably priced USB/ s/pdif converters around.
Keith

At one time Vitus used, I believe M2Tech to OEM their USB interface, unfortunately M2Tech had all sorts of problems with Apple software upgrades, as suggested check ‘audio -midi’ first.
Keith

Ah yes, Dan at Modwright had the same issue so stopped selling the DAC modules.

I used to have a HiFace and had the same issue, in the end I downgraded OSX to 10.10 and it worked ok.

Does your DAC have an spdif input (coax)

If so you could use an XMOS usb to spdif on your Mac and then onto your DAC as spdif.

I've got an Audiophilleo and Gustard U12 at the moment and they both seem to be ok.

I hope someone can help. I'm trying to get my Mac mini to play my audio files via USB to my DAC. I had no problems with my PS Audio DAC, but with my new Vitus DAC the option has disappeared in the sound output menu? I have tried downloading the driver, but by all accounts, it should just work with a mac!

In 'system information' under hardware/USB, 'Vitus Audio USB 24/192' is listed. So the two machines have communicated. I just don't know why the option is no longer in the sound menu?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

From this nugget I think the problem is with whatever application that you use to play music.

I had a similar problem with iTunes and my iPads. The iPads were shown on the USB bus in System Information but iTunes stuck two fingers up. Also although connected to OS X these USB iPad connections were not mounted and it was up to iTunes to communicate with them. The fault was with iTunes in the way that Apple had lazily not bothered to correctly update the iTunes USB interface.

So maybe check the latest version of whatever music player you are using as maybe it hasn't yet been updated for macOS 10.13. You could confirm this by rolling back to a version of OS X that you know works with your music player software.

Oh how did I fix my problem? Well I correctly told the system that it had USB 3 ports and the iPads were mounted as this in System Informaion. However iTunes hadn't been updated to use USB 3 connected devices and once I lied to the system to tell it that these ports were USB 2 iTunes immediately sprang into life. So maybe a change has been made in the new OS and your music app no longer finds for what its looking?

Cheers,

DV

Ah yes, Dan at Modwright had the same issue so stopped selling the DAC modules.

I used to have a HiFace and had the same issue, in the end I downgraded OSX to 10.10 and it worked ok.
Does your DAC have an spdif input (coax)

If so you could use an XMOS usb to spdif on your Mac and then onto your DAC as spdif.

I've got an Audiophilleo and Gustard U12 at the moment and they both seem to be ok.

How does the Gustard compare with the Audiophileo?

I couldn't hear any difference, am only using the audiophilleo as it is USB powered and freed up a plug socket.

I couldn't hear any difference, am only using the audiophilleo as it is USB powered and freed up a plug socket.

Interesting. I never found much difference between USB-SPDIF converters till I tried the Sonicweld Diverter (also USB powered which I liked) which delivered a surprisingly big step up in sound quality through between my Mac Mini and Chord 2Qute
Unfortunately, I had teething software issues on my Mac and gave up on it. Will give the Gustard a go - helluva lot cheaper than the Audiophileo

From this nugget I think the problem is with whatever application that you use to play music.

I had a similar problem with iTunes and my iPads. The iPads were shown on the USB bus in System Information but iTunes stuck two fingers up. Also although connected to OS X these USB iPad connections were not mounted and it was up to iTunes to communicate with them. The fault was with iTunes in the way that Apple had lazily not bothered to correctly update the iTunes USB interface.

So maybe check the latest version of whatever music player you are using as maybe it hasn't yet been updated for macOS 10.13. You could confirm this by rolling back to a version of OS X that you know works with your music player software.

Oh how did I fix my problem? Well I correctly told the system that it had USB 3 ports and the iPads were mounted as this in System Informaion. However iTunes hadn't been updated to use USB 3 connected devices and once I lied to the system to tell it that these ports were USB 2 iTunes immediately sprang into life. So maybe a change has been made in the new OS and your music app no longer finds for what its looking?

Cheers,

DV

Not sure it's the software DV. I've tried iTunes, JRiver and Roon. The option for USB isn't available. When I had my PS Audio DS DAC, I was able to plug a USB cable in and the option simply appeared in the sound and midi menus on the mac. I think it's a compatibility thing to be honest. I may try going backwards with the operating system. Annoying.

Have you had the unit long?
The seller should have made it clear that the unit may not work with later versions of OSX, if indeed the problem is USB driver/software compatibility.
Keith

advertisement

Back