1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

mac mini and a bit of peculiar behaviour...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by arthur, Apr 11, 2012.

1. arthur

arthur Banned

'Lo all.

Having become a computer audio ist in the last year I have to say it's quite an excellent way to play all my music; into a decent dac and actives and I'm happy! :)

Except I'm not now. Having set up the mac mini as a music player only I expected it to work forever, as it were, on such a light load.

Now it keeps blowing a fuse, literally, every ten or twenty minutes.

It worked fine for a year and nothing has been added or altered, but now it blows the adapter fuse within an albums worth.

I know nothing about them, so any ideas most very much welcome.

Thank you and cheers.

2. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Arthur, what sort of music are you playing through it?

3. arthur

arthur Banned

:D had to laugh.

Nothing but the very best Greg.

Bach concertos the first and second time it expired.

4. Greg

Greg 2t5b

5. cliddell

cliddell Demented Member

I assume this is a Mini of the older generation, with the external PSU? Can you swap out the PSU, see if that's at fault?

Also, double check the fuse value.

Chris

6. arthur

arthur Banned

Lo Chris. It is indeed the older generation, unfortunately I don't have a spare power supply or even know anyone else with a mac. The fuse that blew first was a 3 amp but I've sinced wiggled a few wires and used 5 amp ones.

7. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

I'd be worried by this behaviour. I believe the power adapter is sealed and just supplies DC to the computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2999

Suggests the power supply is either 85w or 110w, so you should be good with a 0.5amp fuse. Blowing a 3 amp suggests a fault. I'd get a replacement for it.

eBay prices are around £25 for a replacement if it's the 85w model. Don't just keep upping the fuse, that's how to burn your house down.

8. cliddell

cliddell Demented Member

I'd agree with above - seek out a new power supply.

If you'd been local to me, I could have lent you one to try, but it seems that you're "oop north", and I am "darn sarf"

Chris

9. arthur

arthur Banned

Gents I think you may be right, apparently it's not unknown for the power supplies to fail and or wobble. I'll get a new one and hope it's that. Cheers all.

10. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Do not increase the fuse value that is asking to burn out the entire unit.

11. arthur

arthur Banned

Hmm...it seems I should learn more about electrikery.

Ignorance is a poor excuse for big bangs :(