advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although you can register for VAT from the off (even if your yearly sales end up below the VAT threshold for the year), bear in mind that the current VAT threshold is £68K. You would need to look at the probability of hitting that mark.

That would mean selling a combination 100+ Rubicons or 600+ Shoebox cases (or other products that you have in the wings) in your first financial year.

As others have said, you will able to offset you input VAT (purchases) against the output VAT (sales) and be liable for the difference.

Whatever, best of luck with your new business.

Dave.

I assume that the Aro version will be a new ground up disign to account for the radically different requirements on resonant frequency transfer.

Good luck with that. I service about 5 lp12s each week. Send me a sample of of your full production unit and if it's as good as you say most of my customers will buy one. As it is not everyone can afford a Keel.

Good luck with that. I service about 5 lp12s each week. Send me a sample of of your full production unit and if it's as good as you say most of my customers will buy one. As it is not everyone can afford a Keel.

Hi John.

Thats great! I will be in touch,

Andrew.

Do I have this right? This was made and offered for sale with no development? The guy who made it and is selling it had an idea, made one with no testing, then declared it to be vastly superior to everything else? And everyone seems to think this is wonderful when the only person who has heard it is the guy selling it? Is there any engineering backing up these ideas, or just a guy who thinks this makes common sense and then heard what he wanted to hear? Boy guys, how about a little healthy scepticism?

Do I have this right? This was made and offered for sale with no development? The guy who made it and is selling it had an idea, made one with no testing, then declared it to be vastly superior to everything else? And everyone seems to think this is wonderful when the only person who has heard it is the guy selling it? Is there any engineering backing up these ideas, or just a guy who thinks this makes common sense and then heard what he wanted to hear? Boy guys, how about a little healthy scepticism?

Of course you have the right.

There is engineering backing.

There will be independant reviews.

You don't have to buy one.

Another well respected and venerable PFM member makes a healthy, sceptical, yet constructive point.

No, wait a minute, I got that wrong. He joined yesterday and the above is his second post.

Why do people do this? Why can't they feel safe to make critical posts without hiding behind this sort of anonymity? I sometimes wish Tony would “out” people who do this.

Cheers,

Nic. (who is acquainted with Flatpopely but not in the market for this piece of kit as he is skint).

Another well respected and venerable PFM member makes a healthy, sceptical, yet constructive point.

No, wait a minute, I got that wrong. He joined yesterday and the above is his second post.

Why do people do this? Why can't they feel safe to make critical posts without hiding behind this sort of anonymity? I sometimes wish Tony would “out” people who do this.

Cheers,

Nic. (who is acquainted with Flatpopely but not in the market for this piece of kit as he is skint).

Thanks for the support Nic. I suspect the naysayers will backtrack after the reviews (here's hoping!).

I could arrange credit terms..................

Cheers,

I dare say Andrew will have to get used to this sort of scepticism. I've suffered what could be construed as verbal abuse on the Linn (OK I know) and Lejonklou forums and quite honestly, none of the idiots spouting their venom had ever heard a Sole sub-chassis in an LP12, but such is life.

Funny thing is, a few well respected people in the audio industy have an altogether different veiw (J7 Audio Origami and James Henriot- Whest audio) having actualy heard a Sole in action are very complimentary on what can be achieved wih a £240 - £350 upgrade. I dare say the Keel and the Rubykon will give more again but hey, I'm happy with what the Sole has achieved as are my very satisfied customers, so it will continue with steady upgrades into the future..

The big thing in audio is personal preference, people will buy what they like (if it is affordable to them) and this don't mean that product A is better than product B and so on. I like Avondale above Naim but it does not mean one is better than the other - they are both very capable manufacturers.

I still wish Andrew all the best for his venture!

John R

I dare say the Keel and the Rubykon will give more again but hey, I'm happy with the Sole has achieved as are my very satisfied customers, so it will continue with steady upgrades into the future

John R

Well if it is better than the Sole & I don't see any reason why it should not be as Andrew already has one & spurting so loudly about it, if it comes in at a reasonable price I just might have to buy it & 'lose' my Sole! Who'd have thought that just last month?

To be bluntly honest as often as not I don't know who a person is, nor can I find out in these days of anonymous email addresses (e.g. yahoo, gmail etc) and DHCP IP addresses that can be assigned at random to pretty much any user at a given ISP.

pfm works because it is largely self-policing - people assign credibility based upon a user's prior input to the community, i.e. respect here is earned - not everyone's is equal by any stretch.

LinnAroMan's comments are not unreasonable on the face of it, but those who have been around for a while know damn well that Andrew's products will be widely peer-reviewed and assessed upon their merits, as John's Sole product has been, and the Flea, Starfish, Ergo etc etc beforehand. There is a real culture of development and innovation here - it's one of the core things that makes the site so good IMO. People getting off their arses and actually making stuff that either stands on it's own right or improves / updates an existing product thus increasing it's life-span & usability. All good green stuff IMO. I look forward to hearing this subchassis some day even though I have no Linn!

Tony.

Though there doesn't appear to have been a series of prototypes made in this material to test and gauge what works 'best', i think it's fair to assume given that the concepts behind the design, none parallel sides, stiff materials, constrained layer construction, defined contact points that it's going to sound better than a bit of bent steel and 3 woodscrews. The design reminds me visually of what's going on in some of the Origin Live sub-chassis, though I have a sneaking suspicion that the design origins behind the Rubykon pre-date the recent Origin Live designs by a number of years.

All of which I'm sure leaves room for future improvements down the line, no design ever hits the market fully formed, look how long it took Linn to 'perfect' the LP12...

The flip-side of using a forum to publicise your products is that criticism is just as visible as praise unless you moderate the forum. Interestingly for me the Linn forum seems to be very lightly moderated.

As Edwina Currie would surely agree - any publicity is good publicity

CJ

As Edwina Currie would surely agree - any publicity is good publicity

CJ

Indeed. I have no difficulty with criticism, so long as it is based on fact, but to criticise having had no experience of a product or a persons integrity for that matter, just sucks in my opinon. One just has to rise above that shit, for there are many shitty people out there, as well as good honest folk too I might add!

John R.

TBH honest stick and stones! If people don't like something I make then thats fine.

Not everyone is going to prefer the RubiKon to the other subchassis available, thats a given,

What gets on my wick is personal insults, no need at all IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back