1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon'

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by flatpopely, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Barriere

Jack Barriere Me, you and them

I think this is a great set up if does sound better than the overly priced Keel. Harbeth has a great way of putting it. A bell rings, put a crack in it and it stops to ring. This design is along the same analogy.

2. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Yes the two elements rang like a bell before being glued. Not now though.

3. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

you can stop a keel/pressed steel subchassis ringing by using damping material.

But it sounds worse for it.

4. flatpopely

So I have listened and this is what I heard:-

Huge improvement. Bass texture is really significantly improved; treble is sweeter and has much more character. Detail retrieval is massive and vocal inflections are spine tingling. The whole sound is significantly more dynamic in both a macro and micro sense.

David, this is not damped in the same way - in fact, it is not purposefully damped at all. The different elements are intentionally designed to ring at very different frequencies.

I am one happy bunny!

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied Me in another jacket

WOW! Is that the first listen ever?

6. flatpopely

Thats about 1 hours worth of music. Its totally stunning.

Perhaps it should be £2500 :D

7. per-Sony-fied

Yes, well, err, at least Linn would sell a few of it's Keels, I don't know how many you'd sell tho'? ;)

I am surprised that you have gone through the whole design/manufacture process without making a mock up of one to make sure you are going in the right direction, I'm sure if I were to come up with an idea that's where I would start.

8. flatpopely

It was designed to work and it does!

The magnitude of difference is more than when I fitted the Klone in place of the Linn steel one.

9. per-Sony-fied

That's good! Funny you should have come up with that idea, when I looked at John R's sole, I thought, the design being as it is, the springs/bushes could've been mounted on the underside thus reducing the bearing/spring interface. Naturally tho' due to it's design other hurdles would need to be overcome.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

will it make a standard lp12 sub chassis sound like a thick slice of cornbeef?

11. flatpopely

TBH we did not look at any one design. We looked at what the subchassis does and how it has an effect on the sound. Many hours were spent discussing what should be done. It was really what the Keel does to energy dissipation that got us thinking.

We did not make a mock up because to confirm that the design works meant putting it into an LP12 at which point you might as well just make the thing and pray that it works!!!!!!!!

12. flatpopely

No, more like spam.

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

And the 2009 PFM award for sheer guts and enthusiasm goes to Andrew "chucks beemer keys around" Popely.

Good luck, Andrew. The world needs men who have the bottle to DO it, not just talk about it.

Nic.

14. per-Sony-fied

I take your point but no one said the route to success is easy :)

15. flatpopely

Thanks. Lets hope I sell em!

16. matthias

matthias pfm Member

Andrew, does your subchassis work with a standard mdf aro armboard ?

matthias

17. flatpopely

True.

18. per-Sony-fied

If they are truly amazing as you seem to be putting it & sell them at a reachable price for the masses I'm sure they will sell bucket loads. I now have 35p in the kitty :)

19. flatpopely

Once the independant review is posted you might want to think about putting more in the kitty!

20. flatpopely

No, the armboard is inherently part of the design with the RubiKon - the shapes, materials and joining methods are all chosen for very specific reasons.

However, we will be doing an Aro version very, very soon (immediately in fact :)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.