advertisement

Loudspeaker Matching With Single Ended Amplifiers...

It was basically a Klipschorn but in a totally remade enclosure made by a woodworker craftsman in Chesterfield with some of Toms ideas included in the design. The new enclosure was mostly made of plywood and exotic veneers and were very heavy. Different drivers were used also. I believe they were mostly from Goto, JBL and TAD. They were very good. If you came to the Chesterfield Show, the one in the hotel near to Chesterfield Station in the very early 1990s you would have seen and heard them.

I remember that article, one of the reasons I ended up purchasing some Posselts, along with hearing them at NA powered by some Croft mono's, I thought they were wonderful and Tom was very enthusiastic about them.

Reactions: GT
My knowledge is limited but I would guess that, given the fact that many single-ended designs have a high output impedance and this makes them strongly susceptible to the effects of impedance interaction, they are best used band-passed in an active configuration. This would guarantee a flatter response across the spectrum.
I would only try to partner low powered ~≤10W single-ended amplifiers with high sensitivity speakers ~≥100dB, perhaps >95dB if the room is tiny or for near-field aplications.

Here's a piece about impedance interaction: https://www.stereophile.com/reference/810/index.html

I remember your articles well, Graham - especially those you wrote in HFW so long ago. Those were the days!

Reactions: GT
So.....how many (Nottingham Analogue) Khorns were made? As an ex-Klipschorn owner, I'd be interested....despite having too much hi-fi!
Can't find much on line.

advertisement

Back