advertisement

Look what the cat dragged in (two Garrards)

Interesting. I was thinking of having the layers vertical so that they form a wall of different materials between the motor and arm base. A twelve inch arm would help of course. Bolt the deck into a ply top layer with progressively heavier layers beneath. Glued onto the side would be thin layers of mdf, acrylic, and then slate. That would make it hard for sound to get across to the arm since the materials would be progressively denser in that direction. An enclosed cavity in each of the layers towards the arm would reduce surface area of contact while maintaining torsional rigidity. A plan is coming together.

Shindo has made this statement, as found it on the net ,in regard of designing his plinth:

" It has been said that idler wheel turntables easily cause rumble, but the problem lies in the plinth rather than the motor itself. Our plinth is made of solid laminated cherry wood designed to deaden outer vibrations. Unlike conventional plinths, this plinth allows only minimum space for the motor and arm base. The construction of the plinth virtually demolishes any vibrations caused by the motor but not by deadening the overall sound, which often happens with other plinths that are also designed to eliminate vibrations caused by the motor vibration. Once I designed a plinth that killed vibrations without killing the life of the table, I stopped experimenting and have been making this plinth ever since.
The plinth is the key." - Shindo

See this thread on vinylengine.

Thanks to YNWOAN I have just seen that my gay picnic plinth has ended up on a poster of historic or interesting turntables:
http://www.hi-fi-posters.com/index.html

Although he didn't ask for my permission before using the image, the publisher of the poster has done the decent thing and offered me a very reasonable fee for the usage.

Thanks to YNWOAN I have just seen that my gay picnic plinth has ended up on a poster of historic or interesting turntables:
http://www.hi-fi-posters.com/index.html

Although he didn't ask for my permission before using the image, the publisher of the poster has done the decent thing and offered me a very reasonable fee for the usage.

Ah. I saw that on ebay and meant to PM you. It's certainly pretty distinctive!

wow talk about an amazing find. I used to have a 401 with the fixed head shell sme 3009 and it sounded amazing.

wow talk about an amazing find. I used to have a 401 with the fixed head shell sme 3009 and it sounded amazing.

Yes, for me it's been an education as I had no idea these decks could sound so good. If I ever settle on one deck, it's a contender. It also has the advantage of being a wolf in sheeps clothing, since most people think it's a museum piece, which makes the sound all the more insidious.

same here Sondek; I'm a late convert but I've settled on the 301 as my only deck at present (my second deck is also going to be a 301 - perhaps with a modern arm - when funds allow).
I find the results over many different types of music and recording are very consistent and engaging, with plenty of surprises. Much of the turntable paranoia has been eliminated, and that aspect alone is worth a lot to me.

Sonddek - Do you find that you have to play some music on a particular deck, just because it seems 'right'? If so, let's have an example.

I know for a fact that I would. It would be like wearing the right clothes for wherever you were going.

Sonddek - Do you find that you have to play some music on a particular deck, just because it seems 'right'? If so, let's have an example.

I know for a fact that I would. It would be like wearing the right clothes for wherever you were going.

Sorry for the long delay in responding.

To be honest, it depends more on which cartridge I have on each deck. Right now I have my souped SL1210, Garrard 301 and WTA GT all plugged in and I switch between them quite a lot. I only have an AT95E on the Garrard/309II whereas I have a 2M Bronze on the WTA and OC9II on the Technics/Ekos. I'm planning to run Garrard/EkosII/2MBronze soon, which I think will be a very punchy combo. While I do think that the decks sound different, it's a fundamental difference but a tiny one. The Garrard is always beaty, fun and energetic, the WTA is smooth and relaxing and effortless, and the Technics I can't describe as it seems to have no character. By that I mean I don't notice the deck at all, which is a good thing. Honestly, they are all great, and it's going to be hard to reduce my stable.

I will post here the next 301/plinth rebuild, and try to document it with photographs better than the last.

Sonddek, it would be great if you mentioned some of the cleaning agents used as the deck looks sparkling (that alone would boost the sonic enjoyment I bet). Thanks in advance.

advertisement

Back