advertisement

Look what the cat dragged in (two Garrards)

Your sprayer needs to be shot for that orange peel.

If you're talking about the plinth, it's not finished yet. It has been brush-painted, not sprayed. Once it has enough coats I'm going to polish it to perfection. I'm just taking a break from painting and enjoying the deck for a bit. If you're talking about the motor unit, that's the original orange peel...

The orange peel effect on the oil bearings is the result of the powder coat being applied too thinly Also, due to the absence of solvent, the flow of the powder as it cures can give an orange peel effect. Garrard were in the business of mass producing these units and powder coating is very cost effective and tough. The finish however is often lacking (including the peel effect')

I quite like the orange peel finish on the chassis. It is very even. I see it as just a textured finish. Some of these photos are taken into bright light to reveal strong contrast in surface texture. Normally you don't see any texture at all.

I've just flicked back to the original post as the gems came out from the cupboard under the stairs.
It's exactly this sort of thing that makes me want to do something stupid, spend money and join in.
What I love is the individual and unpredictable path that this has taken. So much work too. It is absolutely beautiful. You really were the right person.

Will the other one have a similar plinth or are you taking it in a different direction? If not, how about Tolex? I would have said Fender tweed, but that's not British.
Or maybe a similar rounded plinth in burr walnut veneer like a vintage Jaguar interior.

I've just flicked back to the original post as the gems came out from the cupboard under the stairs.
It's exactly this sort of thing that makes me want to do something stupid, spend money and join in.
What I love is the individual and unpredictable path that this has taken. So much work too. It is absolutely beautiful. You really were the right person.

Kind words - thanks.

Will the other one have a similar plinth or are you taking it in a different direction? If not, how about Tolex? I would have said Fender tweed, but that's not British.
Or maybe a similar rounded plinth in burr walnut veneer like a vintage Jaguar interior.

Fun ideas, but yet more time spent on projects which my wife regards as a mid-life crisis ;-) In the last couple of years my turntable collection has got a bit out of control:

deckstable_lowrez.jpg

There are four more downstairs.

Since I have the second plinth mostly cut out now, which I did before assembly of the first one, I think I'm going to build a second one regardless. On another thread someone said this one was suitable for a "retro gay picnic". I don't get invited to very many of those, so I suppose I had better find a more manly colour for the second one. I'm open to suggestions about colour.

I would quite like to try my hand at a slate plinth, possibly with room for a 12 inch arm, partly out of curiosity about what difference it makes to the sound of the deck, if any. If it happens it will be after I've finished the duplicate of this plinth.

On another thread someone said this one was suitable for a "retro gay picnic". I don't get invited to very many of those, so I suppose I had better find a more manly colour for the second one.

That was me. There are so many tough looking turntables I think the approach you have taken is not only different, it's fun too.
It wasn't meant to be disparaging. I hope you didn't take it that way

That was me. There are so many tough looking turntables I think the approach you have taken is not only different, it's fun too.
It wasn't meant to be disparaging. I hope you didn't take it that way

Not taken the wrong way at all. It made me laugh and I see your point. I will try to pick a less "gay picnic" colour for the second plinth ;-) Perhaps I try too hard to please my beard^H^H^H^H^H, I mean, wife.

Nothing personal but I think it's the most horrid thing I've possibly ever seen. Maybe I could get to like it if I saw it in the metal, but I don't think I could bring myself to put a record on it. Anyway, I am glad it's making you happy, thank goodness there are many and varied machines to play records:)

Nothing personal but I think it's the most horrid thing I've possibly ever seen. Maybe I could get to like it if I saw it in the metal, but I don't think I could bring myself to put a record on it. Anyway, I am glad it's making you happy, thank goodness there are many and varied machines to play records:)

Homophobe

Sondek, I should have edited that post. i went upstairs and came down thinking it was a pointless thing to say. There's an old saying, if you haven't got anything good to say then say nothing. I have fallen foul of that, it's not my cup of tea but I should probably have kept quiet. Aside from that I like to think I still have the figure for a decent skirt.

Sondek, I should have edited that post. i went upstairs and came down thinking it was a pointless thing to say. There's an old saying, if you haven't got anything good to say then say nothing. I have fallen foul of that, it's not my cup of tea but I should probably have kept quiet. Aside from that I like to think I still have the figure for a decent skirt.

But do you have the moobs to carry a powder-blue boob tube? It's absolutely fine to speak your mind. It achieves a particular retro appliance style and I can see why not everyone would like it. Given that I can't change the shape of it now, what colour would make it less repulsive to you?

It has a Dansette vibe about it....I like it.

Is one of those decks a Technics linear tracking deck?

advertisement

Back