advertisement

Linn Sneaky DS power supply.

laverda

pfm Member
I'm after some advice, I have this Sneaky DS which had died, It's not mine I'm having a looking for a friend. On inspection there is no output from the SMPS, I do have 153vdc at the main caps though so have ruled out the inline T1.6a inline fuse. The daughter board has a 12v pin which measures 153v?? Which I don't think is right. There are no signs of heat stress anywhere or blown caps...no relays click but on power off (after 30 seconds or so) I do hear a click click click which fades away but its not any of the relays.

I have been told Linn no longer service / repair these or if they did it was prohibitively expensive.

Is this SMPS repairable or is it worth it?

53601248506_c68cdf93ab_h_d.jpg

TIA

I have no experience of the Linn, but it sounds like your meter reading of the 12v is wrong.

Failed capacitors don't necessarily bulge, they can simply dry out. I recently repaired a PC ATX power supply where all looked fine, but in fact the input and output caps had all drastically sunk in value. This was found by removal and measurement. Replacement with known brand 105deg parts completely cured the random crashes that had been happening.

Unsurprisingly Linn have quoted me £595 +VAT + shipping for a new power supply....

You could also opt for a service exchange @ £250 + VAT and shipping.

Now on eBay spares and repairs!

This power supply doesn't seem complicated, so maintenance shouldn't be a difficult task. But unless you do it yourself and use your spare time. If paid to professional maintenance personnel, there may be no value.

advertisement

Back