advertisement

Linn Ittok LVII v RB300

I've had both the Ittok LVII and Origin Live Silver which is a well fettled RB300 and the Silver is more than a match for the Ittok. Both arms were used on LP12's as my current LP12 runs the Silver Mk2. The Silver FWIW is a very capable tonearm and can be used with top notch MC's no problem, just as an Ittok can.

I have an LP12 (early 199?s to Valhalla) currently fitted with a standard RB300 / Denon DL160.

Can anyone gve me a view as to whether changing the arm to an Ittok LVII would make significant sonic improvements? ..

In the mid to late 1980's I bought an LP12 and had an RB300 fitted to it. I couldn't live with it as, whilst the mid and treble were really nice, the bass just seemed to swamp everything - and that was on Linn Kans (not a bass heavy speaker by any means).

I upgraded to a S/H Ittok LVII and never regreted the desicion. It isn't that RB300's won't work with suspended sub-chasis decks because I'm now using an RB300 on a Manticore mantra (the front end of a second system I have) and it sounds great, it just didn't work having an RB300 on my LP12.

I still have the old LP12 armboard that was for the RB300 somewhere in doors, never quite sure what to use it for but couldn't bring myself to throw it away.

Having never been a fan of the Ittok or Rega RB250/3000, I bought a Schue Analog modded RB251. Whether it is the arm mods or the different interface with the Linn board, it's a whole different kettle of fish with non of the grey?sterile sound of the old Regas on a Linn. I'm fairly sure given a J7 rewire this would give an old Ittok a good run.
Liked the Ekos but price wise they are plain silly, I bought a Zeta(rewired and checked by J7) and a Kuzma Stogi ok'd by Johnnie, both for a fraction of what people are asking for a minty Ekos.
All just a hiccup as in spite of many Syrinx which all sound nice, I don't find gimbal bearings conducive to musical enjoyment. A well tempered old thing & a long gone Kuzma Stogi S maybe just shade the PU 3 I sold in a moment of madness.

As a footnote, how many thousands are driven insane by Regas utterly shit arm drops sometime in the next three days mechanism! or not at all in some cases, must have broken a few needles and on a bouncer it's a real p.i.t.a

Zeta anyone ?

Ive had a few pass through here of late and they seemed to be at least as good as an ekos. Cheaper than an ittok as well on the used market.

... I don't find gimbal bearings conducive to musical enjoyment.
I've had the RB300 (on AR Turntable) and Ittok LVII (on LP12). I can't possibly comment on how they'd compare on the same deck, but I do recall getting completely blown away by the ARO (on LP12). There is just such a natural sense of music played through a good uni-pivot. It makes the Ittok (or my memory of it) sound mechanical in comparison. The only downside of the ARO is cueability (for me) mid-record, but the benefit is getting to play whole sides of records.

Did I say I love my ARO?

I had a stock rb300 on my lp12 when i first got it and didn't like the sound at all. On an lp12 I think the basik arm beats the rb300. On the flipside a basik on a rega p3 doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the rb300 though.

I have experience of the RB300 and own an Ittok. Never having heard them side by side nor in similar context, it's hard for me to, directly, comment on their relative merits.

However, I do think the Rega arm is brilliant; simply made, quality product, at a bargain price. The one-piece casting is genius; I wonder if even Roy Gandy expected to sell as many as he has. A bit of tweaking can take it to even higher levels of performance.

The Ittok, on the other hand, is different; a much higher quality of finish and material. It is clearly a more expensive product. People used to use the term "camera finish"; the Ittok has it in spades (especially in black). 400+ for a good example; I think it's worth it!

By the way, mine has actually been in storage for 10 years. Changed it for an Alphason HR-100S, another excellent arm. I am now on an SME IV and while SME always receive laudits for their finish I think the Ittok is right up there.

I don't really get the significance of the made in Japan or Scotland issue; fine if you're scottish and you want to support home industry but the Ittok was Made in Japan in the best possible sense.

I agree with that and am a big fan of the Ittok.

I have had RB300 on LP12 and then went to Ittok, it's a significant jump up.

I also think the Ittok is a better arm than Roksan Nima and after having an ARO and then going back to Ittok it has a lot to offer.

I had mine rewired by Johnnie at Audio Origami in Ikeda pure silver which again is a nice upgrade.

I sold it to a fishy who had an Ittok and he was amazed how much better my arm was.

The Rega RB1000 is a worthy contender for the LP12, and I'd have that in front of Linn's Akito any day which now sells for £1500!!!!!

You can almost get a new SME IV for that which is another superb arm and piece of engineering.

Secondhand though I'd say the Ittok easily wins the day.

£1500 for an Akito!!!
That is ridiculous.

All Linn prices associated with the LP12 accessories are ridiculouse so no supprises there:rolleyes:

Alan

Totally agree !

If it were my money, it would either go to Rega for an RB1000 with a nice new mid priced MC cart, Benz anyone? Or a little more to j7 for a PU7.

Alternatively, for the unipivot brigade £1500 should secure a nice SH but entirely serviceable ARO.

Have owned both these arms and used on the LP12.....The Rega RB300 to me is a much more musical arm than the Linn Ittok in that to me the music flows more naturally with a richer mid range...The ittok is a bit clinical ...I have used both these arms with valve amplification and a Graham Slee phono stage.....I am not a huge fan of the LP12 turntable and think there are a lot of dodgy ones on E bay claiming this and that....I find the Rega Planar well sited and with a half decent cartridge ie a Goldring 1000 series works well....I believe a decks siting is one of the most important factors...It is horses for courses really .....I have been enjoying music on my Planar 3 with valve amplification for many years now never feeling the need for change...the biggest upgrade was the Graham Slee phono stage if I am truthfull..I am listening to some Joe Cocker at the moment as I write this ....I think Rega is a better rock arm with the Ittok being different in its presentation......

Was the Akito really that cheap when it came out? My Basik Plus cost £130 (or was it £120?) when I bought it with my LP12 in 1987/8.

I think I paid around £145 for my new Akito in 1991 ish. I believe Akito 2 is now £1500. Ouch.

I was in your situation and went for the "poor man's Aro" - (Nima). For me it's a in the same camp as the William Firebaugh's (WTA designer) fishing wire approach - all this hassle to engineer mega-bearings to 1 micron and reduce friction / stiction and then someone just balances an arm on a spike :)

I've ben through a myriad of arms in my time which includes 3 Ittoks but to my ears nothing compared to the Aro on my LP 12 but it needs the Armegeddon to power it. Problem being how many people sell their Aro's? You see very few come on the market.

Regards,

Martin

Reactions: Pak
I agree the ARO is special and comes into it's own with a full Naim system, when I had one on the LP12 it was with Armageddon and active SBLs, quite an awesome sound!

We have a new uni pivot alternative at Tangerine in the guise of the gorgeous Moerch DP4 which at around £1000 brand new takes some beating and it looks beautiful.

Regards,

Mark

advertisement

Back