advertisement

Linn ASAKA or KLYDE Rebuild

PL135

pfm Member
Hi All

I have an ASAKA and a KLYDE that each require a rebuild. ASAKA has one dead channel and the KLYDE is sans cantilever & stylus. This will be as a backup for my Troika which is used on an LP12/EKOS II combination.

Rest of system:
CD Player - Naim CDX
Streamer - SB Touch
Pre-Amp - DIY 72
Power Amp - DIY 135 Mono's
Speakers - Sonor Audio Procyon SE

I can't currently warrant rebuilding both, hence the decision. Which cartridge would you have rebuilt and why? Where would you send it for the rebuild?

Looking forward to your advice.

Regards
Peter

Goldring do rebuilds. Linn might be able to help.

I would spend the money on an "interesting alternative" as you have 3 Linn cartridges here.

Soundsmith in NY state. Incredible service, quality, and price. I've had 3 done by them and never been disappointed.

Goldring seem to be the place at the mo, I did get a quote from them for a Klyde and it was over £400.

Klyde was manufactured by Goldring, so I imagine they would make it good as new on a rebuild. Asaka is likely older and, I think, made by Supex; it can likely be repaired, but may not sound the same as when new.

Just sent my spare ASAKA to Goldring.

Rebuild Linn Asaka as original.
Replace the cantilever (boron) and diamond with a new Ogura fine line.
Rewind the coil/armature with new copper wire.
Replace the tie-wire assembly/suspension with new.

Should be back before Christmas!

I sent one of my Troikas to Goldring for a rebuild; really pleased with the result and definitely better than a re-tip.

I did rather like the ASAKA compared to the TROIKA though..........

I can believe that. Currently using a Goldring Karma here and it's really good (although I've never owned a Troika). The Karma is better on the Ittok than the ESCo/Midas 103. I suspect a lot of that is compliance given these vintage Linn MC were designed with the Ittok in mind. It's really lowered the surface noise without compromising detail.

Another vote for Goldring here - they recently rebuilt my Troika and did a brilliant job. While it was away I was using my old Asak on an Ittok - I'd forgotten what a great cartridge that was. It doesn't have the finesse of the Troika but it can't half boogie! So I'd get your Asaka rebuilt by Goldring.

Malc

I'd get the asaka rebuilt by goldring.

The Ruby cantilever gyger tip is excellent.

Funnily enough I have been advised not to go ruby with the rebuild....................

TBH I want it as close to original as possible as my non-rebuilt one sounds superb but is coming to the end of its life!
I actually prefer it to my Troika and a KARMA I borrowed.

My black Troika was rebuilt with a ruby cantilever and Gyger S stylus but the character has been altered (which is what I expected). If you want to keep the sound as close to original as possible you need a less extreme stylus profile and keep the cantilever as standard.

Reactions: Pak

advertisement

Back