advertisement

Link s.cap to snaxo

Naimngame

pfm Member
Hi guys,
Seeking advice on connecting my recently purchased supercap into my system.
I had thought the scap would just power the snaxo in a straight switch for hicap. On reading the manual it appears as if the scap should also be connected to my 82. Is that correct?

Naim System:
XPS
CDX
Nap180 (x2)
Snaxo 4-2
Nac82
SBLs
Hicap (although I have two the intention was to sell one to help fund the s'cap purchase- justification to girlfriend really). Also the hicaps were serviced at different places and have different characters so I don't think would work as I believe each would channel its own speaker so maybe unbalanced? So I'm probably running with just one to my 82.
Advice welcomed as always.
Thanks guys

Prior to connecting s'cap I have one hicap feeding power to snaxo and one feeding nac82 via snaic.
There is also a snaic between the two hi-caps.

If I am to use the s'cap to help power 82 (in addition to snaxo) am I right in thinking
S'cap to snaxo via burndy
S'cap to 82 via snaic 5
S'cap to hicap via snaic 4
I think I have it but frightened to switch on in case I blow something. Can't think what the snaic 4 interaction is doing, but that's how it's wired at mo.
Confirmation or advice please?

Yes, you need to go from 82 into SuperCAP, then SC to amps. Check the connection diagrams on the Naim website. As an aside, I strongly recommend you change the SNAXO for the later 242 version, if you get the chance.

Thanks for that.
I'm all olive at the mo and quite like the aesthetics of all the matching boxes but no doubt it'll be a temptation at some point in future.
I'll see if I can find diagrams for 82, s'cap, snaxo, nap-180s.
I had only expected to be using it for snaxo thinking just a burndy needed.
Cheers

Sorry, missed your previous post. If you're going to use the SC to power the 82, then the signal needs to come from the SC to the HiCAP powering the SNAXO. Please check the connection diagrams for this.

Either:

82 to Supercap via two SNAICs

Supercap to HiCap via 4pin IC

HiCap to SNAXO vis SNAIC (with linking plug installed

Or:

82 to Hicap(s) via SNAIC(s)

Hicap (only one of them, you need to check the user manual) to Supercap via 4pin IC.

Supercap to SNAXO via Burndy.

Simples.

We've made a custom Burndy/5pin lead before that powered the 82 through both of its 5 pin socket, and allowed for all the SNAXO rails to be independent of the 82 regulators. It uses the Supercap to its full capability and there's no linking power supplies. The 82 and SNAXO connect through the Burndy socket on the back on the supercap and the star earthing is done properly.

Note that this only works for the SNAXO2-4 and supercap but wouldn't be limited to the 82, it would also work for any Naim preamp that requires 5 pin power.

We've made a custom Burndy/5pin lead before that powered the 82 through both of its 5 pin socket, and allowed for all the SNAXO rails to be independent of the 82 regulators. It uses the Supercap to its full capability and there's no linking power supplies. The 82 and SNAXO connect through the Burndy socket on the back on the supercap and the star earthing is done properly.

Note that this only works for the SNAXO2-4 and supercap but wouldn't be limited to the 82, it would also work for any Naim preamp that requires 5 pin power.

Now that's an interesting concept. I could certainly use one of those - it would free up two HC for other duties :)

Are they listed on the Witch Hat website, he asks nonchalantly?

No, it's not listed. It was a special order we made for a customer who asked whether it was possible. It was and I rose to the challenge - I'd probably need the units to test it out fully though.

Am I understanding this right that one supercap could be used to power both the snaxo 2-4 and the 82?
Did it sound better or different from powering the 82 with a single hicap?
I guess even if sounded same it would allow for the sale of a hicap.

FYI I am sorted now with connections. Burndy to snaxo. I was getting distracted by other options. The difference is huge. Can't believe how much it has improved things.
Of course I'm now keen to get my 82 supercaps to see if it makes as big of an improvement again?

Yes, one supercap can power an 82 through both power sockets (3 if you count the digital supply). Only 4 of the 12 audio regulators are in use in this configuration, and the SNAXO can use the rest. All the earths meet at the supercap, there's no extra connections between power supplies and it removes up to 2 hicaps and a NAPSC. That and our cabling technique of keeping the power and signal separate still resulted in a very clean and dynamic setup and far fewer boxes. It was an enormous improvement.

Perhaps you should list it on the website.......there may be some interest from owners of 82s

Or you could just post the schematic & wiring list :p:D

Could you give me a price please?
The idea of selling My hicaps and coming out with a better sound is intriguing.
In fact I gather I'd have an option on selling the napsc too (provided I'm not going to sell the 82).
Do you have any in stock or are they made to order?

True, but we can do the stuff we weren't allowed to do at the factory..
You state, We can do stuff we weren't allowed to do at the factory.
Who is the we and when did you work at the Naim factory?
What departments and how long for ?
I'm not having ago.
Its just nice to have a bit of clarity and know the full history background details of the person or persons running a company that one might use.

Myself and our other engineer John worked at the factory from the late 80's to the late 90's. We were in the test and service department so we got to know everything inside and out. We used to implement test procedures and automate the testing process as well as doing all the repairs. Naturally when it came to making our own kit we made a few improvements here and there.

advertisement

Back