advertisement

Leica D-Lux 5

Cleansound

pfm Member
Hi fellow forumers.
I have searched extensively and can't find a thread on this.
Can anyone give me their views on the Leica D-Lux 5.

I would love to afford the M9 or M8 or any other high end Leica for that matter, but unfortunately I don't have the deep pockets of a sheik nor for what I intend to use the camera for.

I am a professional athlete and train often at early hours or sunset, I often see an image as I am riding along and wish I had my SLR with me, these are too damn big to carry.

The D-Lux 5 looks like a suitable option with a good lens and also capable of excellent DOF.
The Panasonic LX 5 is essentially the same camera, but I believe that Leica use a different firmware.

Now Cliff, seeing that you have infected me with your passion as well as other great members here, I would appreciate any and all advice where possible.
The bottom line, will it be worth having it as a compact, when I expect SLR quality ?

Thanks in advance.

It's exactly the same camera as the Panasonic, I wouldn't pay the extra.

But if you're looking in that price range you may be better off with one of the larger sensor small cameras, micro 4/3rds etc.

will it be worth having it as a compact, when I expect SLR quality ?

It depends on what you are photographing

One of the other forum posters, Paul, gets excellent B&W shots of trees with his LX2, but he isn't demanding a narrow depth of field and a wide dynamic range in those shots. If you need a wide dynamic range and a narrow depth of field for that isolated back-lit portrait shot, then you need a reasonably fast (f2.8) telephoto (100mm or so in 35mm terms) lens and some Black and White film. The LX5 is fine for sharply rendered "get everything in" types of shot. As sideshowbob just pointed out, you might be better off with a bigger sensor than the LX5 can manage, although it depends on what you're shooting - as another example, Dan_M gets some great shots out of his Canon S90.

What is told above of the depth of field and other issues is true. These are really cameras for travelling and general use, so I would also say you have to think teh usage and your own preferences carefully.These are taken during the past few weeks with my LX3..

5681163020_fcedb33d99_b.jpg

5684001668_db00bf6506_b.jpg

I upgraded to the Leica D-Lux 5 from the Panasonic LX-3. My main reasons for doing so were:-

1. LX3 zoom was too short. 24-60 vs 24-90
2. I didn't like the Panasonic supplied Silkypix software.

Not having used any type of photo software before, I found Silkypix to be written in Japlish, and too difficult for a complete newbie to understand.

The main differences between the LX5 and D-Lux 5 are in the camera firmware, the supplied editing software and the shape of the body. Some commentators say that they can also spot differences in colour rendition, but from a personal point of view, the cameras are so similar, that for day to day use, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in results. Any differences that are apparent can be adjusted out by changing the relevant settings.

Leica accessories such as batteries, viewfinders, flash and cases are all more expensive than the Panasonic equivalent. However, as the cameras are so similar, most Panasonic accessories will fit the Leica camera.

The results I have got from both cameras have impressed me, and I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the camera's capabilities when used within reason. I can get prints up to A3 without a problem, but wouldn't attempt to go beyond that. If large prints are important to you, go for something bigger.

In short, if you want to use Adobe Lightroom, then the Leica comes with a download key, and it is cheaper than buying an LX5 and your own copy of the Lightroom software. If you've already got Lighroom or use a different programme and you're not bothered, then go for the cheaper Panasonic.

Thanks for all the valued contributions thus far gentleman.
I realise the LX5 is a great option, the problem is in my Country they are hard to find and when you do, they are similarly priced to the Leica :(
Thanks for those images Cliff and Mika, the LX series really seem very capable.
Sideshow, I like the 4/3rds idea, but it might be a bit bulky on the bike.
Thanks Ian for the input, very much along the lines I was thinking.
My SLR's are way too bulky to carry around, so I guess the more compact, the better.

If size is key criteria then Canon S95 would be a very strong option. My friend has one as travelmate and it is clearly smaller than my LX3 and it makes good images too..

I've had a S95 and still have a LX3. I could get great pics from both, but I found the S95 awkward to use and too small to keep steady. I found the 24mm more useful than the 28mm of the Canon.

If I was to get another compact camera, I'd still choose the LX3/5. The Olympus XZ-1 is a contender and the Fujifilm X100 if money was easier to come by.

Good luck

Sideshow has thrown a spanner in my "spokes" so to say.
I can get a Sony NEX 3 dual lens kit for a 100 pounds less than the Leica and 50 pounds less than the LX 5, what do you fellas think ?

Nex 3 with the pancake lens is a good size and it is a much larger sensor, but its not as flexible or as small as the LX5. The |Nex with the zoom is quite sizeable. If you want to carry a compact package, LX5 is it.

If the Leica is more or less the same price as the Panasonic, I'd get the Leica, you get LR3 with it.

Sideshow has thrown a spanner in my "spokes" so to say.
I can get a Sony NEX 3 dual lens kit for a 100 pounds less than the Leica and 50 pounds less than the LX 5, what do you fellas think ?

I bought one recently. Via adaptors I stick an old manual focus Pentax 28/2.8 or a 1950s Canon 50/1.2 Leica thread mount lens on it. It's not as compact as a true compact, but it's smaller than a DSLR, and the results are very good (with the 16mm pancake lens, it's also pretty small). Very usable up to ISO 1600, and the larger sensor means you have lots of creative options when it comes to selective focus shooting wide open.

With the Pentax:

DSC00179.jpg

With the Canon:

DSC00544.jpg

No viewfinder, but the tilting screen is quite good if you like waist level finders (as I do).

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I opted for the Sony NEX 3, reasons, Leica and Panasonic are not well supported locally, getting the LX5, was more of a witch hunt without any witches ever making themselves visible, lot's of camera's advertised but nothing tangible when you go to the store.
Attached are two images taken with the pancake lens, the 16 mm.
Not the best of quality but not too bad I guess, took these when I picked the kids up from school.
Thanks again for all the great contributions.

DSC00030 by OddPix1, on Flickr

DSC00027 by OddPix1, on Flickr

advertisement

Back