advertisement

Lee vs Hitech

mjroe

pfm Member
I noticed that Mr Perceptive is running a long exposure course next week, so thought he may be able to shed some light on this (no pun intended).

Mr Perceptive - as you are a Hitech user (I assume), have you compared them to the Lee offerings?

I intended to buy a decent filter system this year, and now I've switched to the Fuji X system I can consider the Lee Sev5n system, which is a fair bit cheaper than their 100mm one. The only snag is that I wouldn't be able to use the 16-55 as it has a filter size of 77mm, but the 18-55 would work fine.

However, to throw a spanner in the works, Hitech have released a new Firecrest mounting system that includes a CIR-PL. If you order the new holder before the 7th September they are also offering 20% off Firecrest filters.

I'd be after the following:

Holder
CIR-PL
0.6 Soft Grad
0.6 Hard Grad
0.9 Hard Grad
3 stop ND
6 stop ND
10 stop ND
43mm, 58mm, 62mm, 72mm & 77mm adaptors (where available).

The Lee system works out at around £650, but I can't use the 16-55, the Hitech one would be around £100 more expensive, but would give me the 77mm size. The NDs would be Firecrest, the grads are the normal resin ones.

Any thoughts or recommendations - I'm drawn to Lee for the smaller compact size (for urban work) and the name, however I could be (easily? - judging by my rapid switch from Nikon to Fuji) persuaded otherwise... I could use the save £100 to put towards a 10-24!

The Lee Seven5 is not wide enough for the 16-55 due to adapted ring size and vignettes on the 10-24mm lens at around 12-13mm. I don't know if it works in the Samyang 12mm or Zeiss 12mm but I'd assume not due to angle if field of view.

I went with Hitech as there is an 85mm slot in system, which I use for grads but I use 72mm screw in filters with ND filters, with a step ring, different sizes for different lenses.

Hope that helps

The Hitech Firecrest 10 stopper is definitely more neutral then the Lee one, but the resin Hitech filters have a definite blue cast

I'm also on the lookout for a filter system to use with my X-T1 / X-T2 so will follow this thread with interest :)

Lefty get yourself to the PFM meeting, you can try my Hitechs and Hoya/SRB stuff, just tell your missus that it's a fact finding trip to ensure she buys the right Christmas present for you!!

Lefty get yourself to the PFM meeting, you can try my Hitechs and Hoya/SRB stuff, just tell your missus that it's a fact finding trip to ensure she buys the right Christmas present for you!!

Haha - I admire your logic :D

It'll probably be a little while before my bank balance recovers from all of my recent purchases so probably best not to get tempted, as I know what I'm like!!

Haha - I admire your logic :D

It'll probably be a little while before my bank balance recovers from all of my recent purchases so probably best not to get tempted, as I know what I'm like!!

But it's never stopped either of us in the past!!!

OK, so took the plunge and the current 10% off Lee Filters offer and ordered a load of Lee Seven5 stuff from Robert White.

Really impressed at the smallness of it all. Went for the deluxe starter kit, plus 0.9ND Standard and Little Stopper. Once it all arrive I then also ordered the hood and filter holder along with lens caps as I figured they would be handy when changing primes.

I ordered every adapter ring for all the lenses I own, then realised I could have saved some money and just bought one ring and used a load of step up rings, but I guess it'll probably work out easier and safer in the long run. The hood was a bit of extravagance, but while the offer was on...

Spent some time today messing around with them, and for the little time I spent I can see the attraction/addiction of using quality filters. I need much more practice and much more time to wait around for the light, but I'm pleased to see that everything works in the way it should and works very well at that.

Here are a couple of shots straight out of the camera, shot with the 14mm at f11, the first shot a 20s exposure and the second 40s. I used a Little Stopper (6 stops), 3 stop hard grad and a circular polariser.

Looking forward to messing around some more!

29611407590_9c10d772fc_b.jpg

29279260323_bc1ab562b9_b.jpg

Today I also picked up a Manfrotto BeFree One travel tripod for Jessops. They have them currently at £69, which is about 50% of RRP. It's a really small tripod as it folds to 32cm and stands 130cm tall, comes in a bag too, bit of a bargain I think. Seems solid enough and saves weight when I don't want to take my old heavy 055 out! As a bonus it means I can take a tripod when travelling without wasting loads of space in my luggage.

Nice one Matt - Looking forward to seeing more photos!

I've been following the thread with interest, and have finally bit the bullet with the Formatt Hitech Firecrest 100mm holder system. I've just got the basic holder and polariser for the moment, but will add a 0.6 soft grad at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B51x23DgQ58

Lefty

I have used a Lee 10 stopper for a few years now. I haven't noticed any particular cast with it, and any that there might be can easily be corrected in PS. I often use it stacked with a Hitech resin 0.9 ND, never had any problems. Until I broke the Lee, that is....

I use a Lee 10 stop and Hitech 4 stop ND's. I also use a pair of Hit tech grads and all are very good with little or no cast. I also have 3 Kood 85mm filters, 4 stop and 2 grads. These produce a noticeable magenta cast. It stacked it is way too strong.

advertisement

Back