advertisement

La Pavoni Coffee Machine - Help!

I’ve ordered a Feldgrind 2. £100 for a hand grinder is not what I was expecting, but I’m assuming it will last a lifetime!

Hopefully this will sort my issues. I look forward to a decent coffee.

Thanks everyone.
should have said you wanted a hand grinder, you could have had ours for free - its been sitting in the back of the cupboard for a while. IMO life is too short for a hand grinder regardless of how little coffee you drink.

Aha! Thanks chaps. From what you’ve all said, I think the problem is the coarseness of the grinding.
.. We chucked the Illy beans straight into the Jura, but bought a cheap little grinder to prepare the coffee for the Pavoni.

So, can you recommend me a grinder?

Been 'into' coffee for a long time, but never yet got round to buying a pro-grinder. The quality of the finished brew did improve dramatically though once I got my head round the basic grind/brew parameters.

The recipe I try to stick to is 18g grind going in/32g of output into the cup - and the extraction or pour time of about 30-35 secs. The knack seems to be to keep the input weight and output volume constant - and adjust the grind to restrict the flow until it takes the 30-35 seconds to get the 32g (ish). Think of the tamped coffee puck as a filter bed - with the objective being to get the density right to allow the hot water to percolate through the granules at the ideal flow-rate.

I'd hazard a guess if you're getting horribly thin & watery coffee, the grind is almost certainly too coarse, and the flow through the coffee puck is far too quick.

Handy vid with a few pointers:

I’ve ordered a Feldgrind 2. £100 for a hand grinder is not what I was expecting, but I’m assuming it will last a lifetime!

Hopefully this will sort my issues. I look forward to a decent coffee.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry to say this but I don't think that Feldgrind will do it I'm afraid, if probably will grind fine enough but it will drive you nuts, you really need a good pro grinder for a La Pav, the grind is the key and it has to be pretty fine.

I have a La Pav EP and it consitantly makes excellent coffee but I do have an excellent grinder which is monster but I only paid £170 for it SH and the same for the La Pavoni.

I buy my beans from espresso services in Govan (Glasgow) a tenner gets you a kg of decent beans, might not be the best beans out there but I mainly drink cappuccinos and flat whites so I don't think expensive artisan beans are worth buying unless you drink espresso.

Good luck.

Tony

Definitely, IME.

Why do you say that?

Takes me about five seconds to grind about 100gs of beans (I've a La Cimbali with 73mm burrs) a hand grinder takes forever, have one not a Feldgrind, a Hario, which is decent enough but no where near good enough for espresso.

But why would the OP want to grind 100g of beans given his stated requirements? If he wanted to grind that amount I would suggest an electric grinder too, but he, like me, doesn’t. I have never used a Hario but am perfectly satisfied with espressos made with Feldgrind-grind.

Why do you say that?
it drove me mad hand grinding enough for a single shot. It is boring and repetitive, awkward and a boring waste of time. If I had to hand grind I'd have stopped drinking coffee. My hand grinders are in the back of the cupboard. The Turkish one gets used occasionally as it is the only thing that'll grind fine enough for a Turkish coffee.

Chaps, thanks for all the input. More than happy to stand in the kitchen for a few minutes with a hand grinder. Heaven knows it’ll be better for me than sitting on the sofa with the papers. That’ll wait the few minutes extra I’m sure, and the satisfaction will be all the greater. Small wins.

it drove me mad hand grinding enough for a single shot. It is boring and repetitive, awkward and a boring waste of time. If I had to hand grind I'd have stopped drinking coffee. My hand grinders are in the back of the cupboard. The Turkish one gets used occasionally as it is the only thing that'll grind fine enough for a Turkish coffee.

OK, each to his own. I takes me 30 seconds to handgrind enough for a single (large) shot, but I appreciate some people can’t spare that time.

I also rather like the feedback I get from a hand grinder - if I change beans I can tell after the first turn if I need to tighten or loosen the grind compared to the previous ones.

Totally.

As has been stated by a few people on this thread La Pavs are all about the grind and I seriously doubt that any hand grinder, with the exception of that £700 flywheel thing, will grind fine enough to make a good espresso with a La Pav.

I've not used a Feldgrind so I'll bow to those who say that it can grind fine enough but I'm with gintonic, life is way too short to stand about hand grinding coffee for any more than one person at a time plus you constantly have to slightly adjust the grind as the beans age or heat up or go cold so that's more time or less I suppose.

With my grinder and the beans I use I rarely have to change the grind from one bag of beans to the next bag.

@Whaleblue

I have just been reminded by matthewr’s post on the coffee grinder thread mentioning that he uses a Feldgrind that you were expecting (hoping) to receive one in February. I feel partly responsible, so was wondering if it arrived, how you got on with it etc.?

@Marchbanks

Funnily enough it arrived just a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve not actually bought any beans to test it yet. Will report in due course.

Feels very nicely made though.

@Marchbanks

Funnily enough it arrived just a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve not actually bought any beans to test it yet. Will report in due course.

Feels very nicely made though.

Excellent. You have done the hardest bit, you’ve actually got it! My MK1 is indeed a beautifully made thing.

Seeing this thread pop up again, I'm curious about the amount of coffee some people use. My La Pav basket takes 7-10 gm of ground coffee, and I use 7 gm for a single shot, which is the old traditional amount, as I understand it. Some are talking about over double that! Is that coffee junkie level or what?

advertisement

Back