1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Kindle

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Jonathan Ribee, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

I've been using an Amazon Kindle for a couple of days now it's finally made it over the pond.

It's very TNG. Poke my eyes out and call me Jordie LaForge.

The actual reading experience is pretty good. Download speed is good on the 3G link. Browsing the store via 3G is a little slow. I could always use the computer I guess.

The range of titles available seems a bit weak still. Typing is Murakami and getting zero hits doesn't seem to good. Classics OK and "Richard and Judy" bestsellers OK - but serious modern novels seem to be sparse.

Any of our North American brethren use on of these and tried alternative sources for books other than the Amazon store?

Cheers,
    Jonathan

2. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Arghhh - I saw you as a proper book, pipe, slippers man...

3. Jonathan Ribee

Alex

I'm running out of places to put bookshelves. :)

I did pick up a "legacy" book just now and had to adjust to complicated page turning. How do people deal with having to interact with the physical media in this way!!! :)

I am just testing it to see how useful it is. I can get newspapers, books, my own or business partners documents on it easily. The magazine choice is crap. There are only about a quarter of a million books available. Any novel (not a very recent release) seems to be about $4.

Quite difficult to lend people a book.

Last night I was laid on the sofa reading my Kindle and controlling streamed music from my mac via express/V-Dac controlled by an iPod Touch. I'm a Techno Tart!

(Oddly - the big downside is it doesn't smell like a book)

Jonathan

4. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

JR,

Pah! I'm still on legacy scrolls.

Joe

5. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

6. Jonathan Ribee

Yeah - early adopters get screwed. I was looking for a suitable solution over a year ago and was found the kindle the best in terms of function + books, but then it was annoyingly US only. The Sony seemed OK - but wasn't compatible with the mac.

The complete works of Shakespeare for $3.44 isn't bad. Hardback bestsellers more like $13. Also - US editions, US spelling and different names for the same book sometimes.

I assume we will eventually get convergence of some kind of tablet PC device that will run a decent browser and have a screen you can read stuff on easily. In the same way the iPhone can be you music player, satnav, web browser, mail reader, handy portable apps - oh - and a phone apparently.

Interesting experiment though. The actual reading stuff on it part is good. Which is probably the hardest thing to get right.

The portability thing.

[​IMG]

A Kindle is a theoretical 1.5x of the above in terms of storage. Hell, if it turns out to only be 0.5 I'd be OK with it.

Mostly it's the limited range of titles that is bugging me. You can normally find just about anything from an online book retailer. Then get it delivered. To be reading it one minute after you bought it is great - but the choice is crap at the moment.

7. Joe P

JR,

Is the screen high res and easy to read?

Joe

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Speaking of the range of titles, any chance of taking that photo from a different angle so I can read the spines of the books? Cheers!

9. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

;) Or scanning them all

10. Anex

Anex Señor Member

The screens are a bit like an etcha-sketch, so resolution doesn't really come into it. It uses magnetic ink and pulls it all into place to create the words / pictures. They're really nice to look at it, I'd be interested in using one as a secondary screen for work as I spend most of the day reading.

JR - are you sure the Sony isn't Mac compatible? My dad got one a little while ago, seemed to indicate it was in the instructions, just wasn't very clear about it on the box. You can also move everything around on memory cards no?

11. Jonathan Ribee

Joe

Text is easy. It can do reasonable grey scale diagrams. This is one of it's screen savers (as it costs energy to change the screen but not to keep the text there)

[​IMG]

The above looks approx actual size on my screen.

JR

12. Jonathan Ribee

Hah! Difficult. Because of where these particular bookshelves are...

[​IMG]

I'll have a go at blowing up that previous one.

13. Jonathan Ribee

Yeah - 12 months ago the Sony definitely said it wasn't mac compatible - but you did have to search a bit to get that info. Might have changed - would only be software. The Sony uses memory cards.

You can move things that don't have copy protection on and off the kindle as if it was a USB drive. So anything you can convert into a mobi file you can stick on the kindle. Through your amazon.com account you can email a doc there and convert it, then download it wireless through the 3G link or wire to an internet connected pc. Not all pdfs I think - only simple ones. But just about anything else. You can archieve anything from your kindle back to Amazon and download it when you need it.

Nifty device. Limited book choice as yet.

I'll bring it along on Saturday so you can have a play.

14. Jonathan Ribee

Not going to get anything better than this before daylight...

[​IMG]

15. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Your house looks well inviting, JR.

16. Joe Hutch

Thanks! Some good stuff there.

I have a similar book overflow thing going on, made by worse by having three students in the family. Kindle may save my life*

* From Leonard Bast-style death-by-falling-bookcase.

17. Joe P

JR,

The display looks far better than I imagined. Tempting, but I'm still partial to legacy print technology.

Joe

18. Joe Hutch

You do realise that in a couple years time there'll be no support for legacy reading systems?

19. Joe P

oJe;

Thatz unpossible,,,, Y U say that?

LOLZ

Jeo

20. Joe Hutch

Mheh! Another legacy reader bites the dust.