1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Kii Three Review

Discussion in 'audio' started by al2002, Aug 12, 2017.

1. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

The latest (Sept. 2017) issue of Stereophile has a review of the Kii Three speaker.

The measurements were very good indeed. Directivity control apparently works as advertised, FR was flat and plenty of SPL is available. Atkinson does say that the cabinet is very lively. However, no adverse effects were reported in the subjective review.

I predict a price increase ;).

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It always amuses me when measurement "issues" don't correspond to what one hears (or the reverse). I find both interesting, but I trust my ears far more. Other evangalists may feel differently! ;-)

3. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

Tony L, I have NEVER heard a speaker or cartridge to sound good when its standard measurements were really poor. While good measurements might not be a sufficient condition, they are certainly a necessary one, IME.

In any case, the reviewer did say the sound of the Kii was "outstanding".

4. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

It's a superb loudspeaker, the most difficulty listeners have is accepting that so much can be delivered from such a small and relatively inexpensive package.
    Keith

5. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

6. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

7. Emlin

Emlin pfm Member

It is interesting that the Kii THREES were so impressive to the reviewer in what appears to be an already well treated room. It suggests to me that there is more to them than just the cardioid dispersion.

8. Strictly Stereo

Indeed there is, Emlin.

9. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

There are the stands and remote!
    Keith

10. hairyderriere

hairyderriere pfm Member

I wonder how they compare with something like the Avantgarde Zero 1 XD? Similar package, much different execution. Better sound?

11. Strictly Stereo

I had the chance to compare them here a little while back. I think I posted some listening notes somewhere on PFM.

12. hairyderriere

hairyderriere pfm Member

I'll have a search. If you have a link, that would be greatly appreciated.

Addendum: I can't be the only one to be both excited and worried by technology like this. It's hard not to worry that one would be throwing good money away with the likely plummeting value as technology advances.

The saving grace of analogue systems is that they are likely to be functional in perpetuity. Not so digital. Even less so high end digital?

13. Strictly Stereo

14. hairyderriere

hairyderriere pfm Member

15. Still

Still gyldengourd

Does the Kii Three work correctly without the manufacturer stands?

16. Strictly Stereo

Yes.

17. Still

Still gyldengourd

Ta SS. Are they suitable for floor/bookshelf placement, or would they require some sort of stand?

18. Strictly Stereo

It never occurred to me to try them on the floor and they are a bit too deep to fit on most bookshelves. They will work quite happily with third party stands and you can use them on desktops or low tables using something like this...

http://www.isoacoustics.com/product...isolation-stands/iso-l8r200-isolation-stands/

19. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

Tweeter dispersion is not particularly great, so it might be best to have tweeters around seated ear level.

If you place them on a bookshelf be sure to observe the minimum wall-speaker distance. Also, some clearance will be required on either side of the speaker cabinet.

20. Rodney gold

Rodney gold Im just me...

Great review .. congratulations