advertisement

Kii Three Review

al2002

pfm Member
The latest (Sept. 2017) issue of Stereophile has a review of the Kii Three speaker.

The measurements were very good indeed. Directivity control apparently works as advertised, FR was flat and plenty of SPL is available. Atkinson does say that the cabinet is very lively. However, no adverse effects were reported in the subjective review.

I predict a price increase ;).

It always amuses me when measurement "issues" don't correspond to what one hears (or the reverse). I find both interesting, but I trust my ears far more. Other evangalists may feel differently! ;-)

Tony L, I have NEVER heard a speaker or cartridge to sound good when its standard measurements were really poor. While good measurements might not be a sufficient condition, they are certainly a necessary one, IME.

In any case, the reviewer did say the sound of the Kii was "outstanding".

It's a superb loudspeaker, the most difficulty listeners have is accepting that so much can be delivered from such a small and relatively inexpensive package.
Keith

It is interesting that the Kii THREES were so impressive to the reviewer in what appears to be an already well treated room. It suggests to me that there is more to them than just the cardioid dispersion.

It is interesting that the Kii THREES were so impressive to the reviewer in what appears to be an already well treated room. It suggests to me that there is more to them than just the cardioid dispersion.

There are the stands and remote!
Keith

I wonder how they compare with something like the Avantgarde Zero 1 XD? Similar package, much different execution. Better sound?

I had the chance to compare them here a little while back. I think I posted some listening notes somewhere on PFM.

I'll have a search. If you have a link, that would be greatly appreciated.

Addendum: I can't be the only one to be both excited and worried by technology like this. It's hard not to worry that one would be throwing good money away with the likely plummeting value as technology advances.

The saving grace of analogue systems is that they are likely to be functional in perpetuity. Not so digital. Even less so high end digital?

Ta SS. Are they suitable for floor/bookshelf placement, or would they require some sort of stand?

Tweeter dispersion is not particularly great, so it might be best to have tweeters around seated ear level.

If you place them on a bookshelf be sure to observe the minimum wall-speaker distance. Also, some clearance will be required on either side of the speaker cabinet.

Ta SS. Are they suitable for floor/bookshelf placement, or would they require some sort of stand?

advertisement

Back