advertisement

Kef wireless 50's

For any Kef LS50W owners who also use Roon, the latest Roon build now allows you to stream directly to the KEFs via. its ethernet port. Main benefit to me are: (1) I no longer need to use my microRendu; (2) volume control is synced between Roon/KEF so changing volume on Roon changes KEF volume and vice versa (this isn't a digital volume implementation).

More info here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-3-build-269-is-live/32316/3

A protective grille would be a good thing for any version of the LS50. I love my LS50s but those bright metal cones represent an open invitation for visiting small children's fingers.

Is anyone using the LS50 with a Turntable and phono stage? I'd be interested to know from a long term vinyl user how they are finding the transition. I am moving to small or modest speakers so the LS50W are on my list, although they would be a major paradigm shift for me, and I have not, up to this point, been keen on Class D based designs.

I tried the passives and wireless 50’s with vinyl, I thought the A/D conversion transparent, but you can’t truly compare because you can’t disengage the processing of the wireless model.
Keith

Is anyone using the LS50 with a Turntable and phono stage? I'd be interested to know from a long term vinyl user how they are finding the transition. I am moving to small or modest speakers so the LS50W are on my list, although they would be a major paradigm shift for me, and I have not, up to this point, been keen on Class D based designs.

I use a decent deck and phonostage,quite happy.That said I do use my Kefs in a small room so my rca's are still nice and short.

I’m not but I’ve now read three different TT/Kef users (Keith included) state that the ADC process is transparent.

I’d highly recommend getting a pair on loan from your dealer. I’d be very interested in what you think.

My local Sevenoaks store is happy to lend me a pair of LS50Ws to try at home, so it should not be a problem to arrange a home dem in London. There really is only one way to find out if these things can replace a conventional amp/speaker setup, including handling analogue sources.

I should add that my own thoughts of LS50Ws have somewhat drifted off to the right, since I bought a pair of Mk1 Tannoy Berkeleys and have found myself utterly beguiled by their way with music. They'd measure dreadfully, of course, and my LS50s offer bags more detail and definition, but the Berkeleys do play real music in a way that draws me in like no others manage.

That's interesting Hugh; I thought your room was tiny, but Berkeleys are certainly not! I'm considering the much smaller Eatons; Tannoys are the one large speaker I will consider now, after all my failed experiments.

The Berkeleys are not small, but they are quite shallow and will work closish to a back wall, so not a problem for me, after a bit of furniture juggling.

Folks.

I've been running a poll on the Roon forums about KEF LS50 Wireless owners and whether they've experienced any faults. Amazingly I've been banned from KEF's Facebook page for posting a link about it. Anyway, it's only been running a week and so far just 20 replies however 50% of those who responded have had a problem within the first year of ownership. I'm wary of reading too much into these results as obviously its not a statistically significant sample size and there's the usual bias that those who have a problem are more likely to take the time to do the poll.

Anyway, I want to try and get more LS50W owners to add their thoughts to the poll so please chip in. If you don't have a Roon account and don't want the hassle of signing up then perhaps you can respond here on PFM and I'll add it to the poll. Anyway, here's the link to the poll:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/poll-of-kef-ls50-wireless-owners/32500/49

I recently bought unclepuncles KEF LS50 wireless speakers. I was keen to see what they were like myself and to try something completely different to my 15" Tannoy monitor golds in GRF cabs. I've had them a few days and have been streaming using Tidal. I haven't tried any other sources so far apart from streaming using bluetooth from my phone. The hardware and sound quality for the size is great but the software functionality leaves a lot to be desired. I am using the firmware version 'out of the box'. Some of the apps functions don't seem to work at all and worst of all I cant seem to get an album to play in its entirety reliably. What usually happens is it plays one track and finishes. Am I doing something wrong?

I thought that maybe doing a firmware upgrade might solve some of the issues I was having. I am a mac user and find that the upgrade is not available at the moment. From what I can gather on the web some users speakers have been bricked when attempting the upgrade. Perhaps that explains why the mac firmware upgrade is offline at the moment.

Anyone done the 15-11-17 firmware upgrade for Mac yet? Just wondering how safe this is given the bricking issues of past firmware upgrades.

I did it with no issues. I have done three firmware upgrades from a Mac and none of them have had issues. This update says it fixed some issues with updating,

advertisement

Back