advertisement

Kef wireless 50's

Hi
Yes Custom Design 104's filled with kiln dried sand.

I haven't listened to the turntable yet,a friend borrowed my Audio Research phono haven't seen it since :)

Nice. Where did you get the granite plinths they are sat on?

Hmmmm.... I'm not entirely happy yet with my Rel T7i with the Kefs. First lots of bass boom, which I also get with the Kefs so it's a room mode, so plonked my DSpeaker 8033 in (kids are watching movies with the butt-naked Monolith for now) and that did a good job of removing the boom. Amazing piece of kit really. But then something is lacking and switching back and forth between the Kef doing full-range and no sub, and then the sub in-line, etc. etc. I can't help but notice that the Kefs on their own have bass that is better timed and defined.

I've farted about with xover and sub level and, for the moment, have settled on a xover of 65hz (which is a lot lower than I thought would be required). Oddly enough not getting bass boom yet so perhaps that room mode is <65hz? More critical listening required but, in the meantime, anyone else got advice or experience of integrating a sub with the Kef actives?

Does anyone have the KEF LS50 multi-post stands? Do they have any ability to hide the cables draping out of the back?

Also, now that the LS50 supports Roon, could I install the LS50W's/Roon and point Roon to my iTunes library on a laptop and have it all show up in the Roon app?

Does anyone have the KEF LS50 multi-post stands? Do they have any ability to hide the cables draping out of the back?

Also, now that the LS50 supports Roon, could I install the LS50W's/Roon and point Roon to my iTunes library on a laptop and have it all show up in the Roon app?

I have the Custom design Kef LS50W stands which has 1 thick main column and two satellite columns. Very sturdy. Alas no cable management at the back. I've resorted to using 1cm wide black zip ties which is relatively discreet. Not ideal but there you go.

Didn't realise that the Kefs are now Roon ready. Yes you should be able to point Roon at your iTunes library. I think a Roon needs to see the folders with the music files in rather than pointed at the iTunes library database file.

How you finding them?

How you finding them?

thanks for the info. have you posted a picture of the setup? wondering how clean looking I can get them.

I don't own the LS50W's. Had the passive version for a couple of years. Currently renovating my home, so my former audio room is moving and I'm looking at the best options for layout/gear.

thanks for the info. have you posted a picture of the setup? wondering how clean looking I can get them.

I don't own the LS50W's. Had the passive version for a couple of years. Currently renovating my home, so my former audio room is moving and I'm looking at the best options for layout/gear.

Will take a photo.

Just read about the forthcoming Roon update to stream direct to the Kef. When available I will try this out via. the ethernet connection and compare it to my microRendu/LPS-1 on the USB input. If i can't distinguish the difference between the two then I will go the Roon->Kef via ethernet and sell on the microRendu stuff :)

dateposted-public
two black cable ties top and bottom:

Thanks

That's a good trick

Hmmmm.... I'm not entirely happy yet with my Rel T7i with the Kefs. First lots of bass boom, which I also get with the Kefs so it's a room mode, so plonked my DSpeaker 8033 in (kids are watching movies with the butt-naked Monolith for now) and that did a good job of removing the boom. Amazing piece of kit really. But then something is lacking and switching back and forth between the Kef doing full-range and no sub, and then the sub in-line, etc. etc. I can't help but notice that the Kefs on their own have bass that is better timed and defined.

I've farted about with xover and sub level and, for the moment, have settled on a xover of 65hz (which is a lot lower than I thought would be required). Oddly enough not getting bass boom yet so perhaps that room mode is <65hz? More critical listening required but, in the meantime, anyone else got advice or experience of integrating a sub with the Kef actives?

I was reading this an nodding. A few years ago I had passive ls50s and two REL T7s, so slightly different in both regards but probably more similar in this context. Try as I might I could not get them to gel and I tinkered for hours on end, for a long time.

I came to the same conclusion - the T7s just werent quick enough for the ls50s and the phase differences ruined the timing. I also tried an antimode and whilst this helped smooth out the bass response the few additional milliseconds of delay from the antimode added to the underlying problem.

In the end I gave up and sold the T7s. Sorry to say this but I think the ls50s need a much higher quality subwoofer for seamless integration.

I was reading this an nodding. A few years ago I had passive ls50s and two REL T7s, so slightly different in both regards but probably more similar in this context. Try as I might I could not get them to gel and I tinkered for hours on end, for a long time.

I came to the same conclusion - the T7s just werent quick enough for the ls50s and the phase differences ruined the timing. I also tried an antimode and whilst this helped smooth out the bass response the few additional milliseconds of delay from the antimode added to the underlying problem.

In the end I gave up and sold the T7s. Sorry to say this but I think the ls50s need a much higher quality subwoofer for seamless integration.

Interesting. I spent about 2-3 hrs moving the sub, moving the speakers, etc. and using a range of test tones in the 30-120hz range in 10Hz increments. Firstly, I seem to have minimised boom to the point where I only ever notice it when the volume is way up (I don't listen to it at that vol so a non-issue really). Secondly, I have a dip in my listening position at around 100Hz (don't get it at 90 or 110Hz so lets assume its 100Hz +/- 9Hz). Haven't got loads of options for re-arranging the speakers but I've brought them forward by another 8" and whilst there is still a dip it is not as pronounced. I have wondered whether room correction software could sort that out but, surely, if the software tries to boost the level at that frequency then it will only increase the problem if its a reflection causing cancellation of the propagating wave from the speakers?

Furthermore, I've now settled on a higher 75Hz crossover. I've had it at this for the past week or so and I have to say I'm pretty damn pleased now.

Incidentally, and in case anyone is not aware of this, the Kef will continually output to the subwoofer if a cable is connected to the sub out. This can be a little confusing as the app has a 'subwoofer connected' setting which, when is disabled, you would think would disable the subwoofer.

FYI, Roon will shortly release an update which enables the KEF LS50W's to be used as a Roon endpoint. It appears the Roon guys have had to do some hacking gymnastics to get it to work and, until (more likely, if) Kef do a firmware update, then the KEF's will not be a Roon Ready device (aka. using the full fat RAAT protocol). KEF have been demo'ing Roon streaming directly to the KEF's at CEDIA this week. The update will see Roon able to stream upto 24/192khz.

Although I've already got a Roon Ready device (microRendu) feeding my LS50W's I am actually quite excited about this. At the least, I'd be interested to know if Roon->KEF Ethernet sounds as good as Roon->microRendu->KEF USB. If it does, then expect to see a microRendu/Ultracap-1/CuriousUSB for sale soon!!! :D

Interesting. I spent about 2-3 hrs moving the sub, moving the speakers, etc. and using a range of test tones in the 30-120hz range in 10Hz increments. Firstly, I seem to have minimised boom to the point where I only ever notice it when the volume is way up (I don't listen to it at that vol so a non-issue really). Secondly, I have a dip in my listening position at around 100Hz (don't get it at 90 or 110Hz so lets assume its 100Hz +/- 9Hz). Haven't got loads of options for re-arranging the speakers but I've brought them forward by another 8" and whilst there is still a dip it is not as pronounced. I have wondered whether room correction software could sort that out but, surely, if the software tries to boost the level at that frequency then it will only increase the problem if its a reflection causing cancellation of the propagating wave from the speakers?

Furthermore, I've now settled on a higher 75Hz crossover. I've had it at this for the past week or so and I have to say I'm pretty damn pleased now.

Incidentally, and in case anyone is not aware of this, the Kef will continually output to the subwoofer if a cable is connected to the sub out. This can be a little confusing as the app has a 'subwoofer connected' setting which, when is disabled, you would think would disable the subwoofer.

To clarify a bit more, I no longer notice a timing issue between the T7i and the KEF's. I don't know if my moving stuff around has settled things or if my ears have adjusted (probably the latter). To be honest, I've moved on from critical listening and have just been enjoying my music. This set-up is working nicely for me at the mo'.

Can the individual LS50Ws be swapped over from left to right, eg the main unit with all the controls becomes the 'left' speaker, with the slave as the 'right' speaker? I would hope that it's done simply in the control app, but does anyone know if this is the case?

I have now received an answer from KEF on this. They tell me that a "speaker swap over function" will be included in the next LS50W firmware update, maybe within a few weeks. So, that will clear the way for me to try some at home, against the passive LS50s and Naim Supernait2/HCDR which work so well together.

I have now received an answer from KEF on this. They tell me that a "speaker swap over function" will be included in the next LS50W firmware update, maybe within a few weeks. So, that will clear the way for me to try some at home, against the passive LS50s and Naim Supernait2/HCDR which work so well together.

Excellent. Good to know Kef are continuing to support the software side.

Just cross-referencing info from the Roon site....

According to Roon their forthcoming update will enable a feature whereby changing the volume in Roon Remote will actually change the Kef speaker volume direct. This will avoid the problem of multiple volume settings across software/hardware and any loss of resolution through digital volume control..... a really nice touch.

Just cross-referencing info from the Roon site....

According to Roon their forthcoming update will enable a feature whereby changing the volume in Roon Remote will actually change the Kef speaker volume direct. This will avoid the problem of multiple volume settings across software/hardware and any loss of resolution through digital volume control..... a really nice touch.

Great. The LS50W/Roon combo is becoming increasingly appealing

Great. The LS50W/Roon combo is becoming increasingly appealing

A pair of the LS50Ws (with free custom design stands) and a lifetime Roon membership for £2300 is possibly one of the best bargains in hifi right now.

advertisement

Back