advertisement

K.D. Lang - Ingenue

Went to see her on the ingenue tour in Glasgow and both her and her band were sensational - a stand out gig for me.

Regards

Is that the one where she was lying on the stage floor and someone shouted out "taxi for Lang".

I would heartily recommend "Absolute Torch and Twang". Loads of good songs, in particular "Trail of Broken Hearts", "Pullin' Back the Reins" and "Nowhere to Stand"

Ally

I'll second that. The new Alison Krauss album is a stunner as well. Can't get this track out of my head - so poignant.

I do like Alison Krauss and it's a nice version, but Ray owns that song.

Mull

Last edited by a moderator:
"Taxi for Lang" - surely not in Glasgow haha. Don't remember that happening but it feels like it could. Apparently the same line was used in a quiet moment at Murrayfield when a Scotland player was having a less than adequate game.

Regards

Brian

Ps hope you're in fine fettle ally.

I do like Alison Krauss and it's a nice version, but Ray owns that song.

Mull

I'm a big fan of his and would like Ray to be even more highly regarded. I would like some smartarse sound engineer to remove the violins and the massed choirs from his classic records as they make the (intros esp) sound so ancient. From this time period I hope you also have a high regard for Patsy Cline's vocal purity.

I saw Ray live twice. Once around 1962 in Nottm and again in 1996 in Manchester. I have everything he recorded for Atlantic, lots of his early SwingTime and Downbeat sides, plus a fair bit of his output on ABC.
I can't agree about the strings etc. They are so evocative of the classic 50s era that also saw Ella and NKK employing similar arrangements. I love 'em.
Ray did plenty of 'raw' blues sides earlier with Atlantic, along with Gospel, Soul, Jazz and other stuff. Often forgotten that he was an astonishingly gifted pianist and also played sax. It's a shame that he is mostly remembered for his country styled output.. good as it is.

And yes. I like Patsy Cline, Keely Smith and others from that era.

Mull

I saw her on the Ingenue anniversary tour here in Sydney a few weeks ago and she was stunning.

It's the 5th time I have seen her and her performance was as immaculate and soulful as ever.

IMO one of the greatest voices of a generation. Incredible power, sensitivity and control.

And she is incredibly funny too and has a fabulous rapport with the crowd. Very genuine and extremely intuitive.

I adore her!

Anyone purchased the 25th Anniversary Edition in vinyl, if so what are your thoughts, is it better than the original.

I adore the 25th Anniversary edition. While I can't directly compare it to the quite rare original European pressing, it sounds extremely good to my ears. The bonus tracks from the MTV unplugged session on the second disc are worth the price of admission alone.

Ingenue has always been a favorite, certainly many of her albums have many wonderful tracks. I also really enjoy playing the DVD of her live in London with the BBC Orchestra, just a fabulous musical delight! The musicians that accompany her here, as well as the orchestra, just superb.

Oh, and I also really enjoy the Case/Lang/Veirs album. The NPR video of their first live gig in Portland, Oregon doing the entire album is a cracker, I tried to copy/paste it, but for some reason I cannot get it to take. Well worth finding if you can....

Does anyone here remember her on Jools Holland many years ago? Details are faint, but I was completely blown away when she performed a Capella. The power and control hooked me straight away.

Ingenue and Drag are two of my faves.

Ingenue and Shadowland are two of my favourites. After hearing those albums, I bought quite a lot of her stuff - a lot already mentioned here. However, check out Angel with a Lariat and Invincible Summer - worth a listen.

I've never really listened to KD Lang, now I will make the time to try some. Always had the impression she was the natural successor to Bonnie Raitt, whose music I adore, so I don't know why I haven't checked her out yet

advertisement

Back