advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

Banjo, When you've had a listen I'd really like to get your opinion on the JVC phono stage, especially in comparison to the Firebottle 2 :)

I have been on the lookout for a AX-Z1010TN for quite a while. I would prefer a 230v model, but would take a 110-115v model if it was right. I bought a AX-Z921 of ebay a good few months ago, but it was not as the seller described and not working correctly. However, from what I heard out of it, it did sound good. If anyone can help me track down a AX-Z1010TN that would be appreciated.

Stuart

Not difficult Stuart, I know a man in Canada who has a warehouse full of new ones. Delivered to your door for £700.

Not difficult Stuart, I know a man in Canada who has a warehouse full of new ones. Delivered to your door for £700.

I think they are even more expensive than that at the moment. I was looking for something a little less in price, but thanks anyway. It is maybe an option.

Staurt, if they were being sold for £5 would you want one for a quid?

It's the best amp that I have had in my system, even if it cost £5000 I could well understand why.

they were going for about £480 last week - a black Friday special. You have to watch the postage costs though, as Canada post isn't cheap especially for a large and heavy box like this!

It's the best amp that I have had in my system, even if it cost £5000 I could well understand why.

Although not the best amp I have had in my system, it is astonishingly good. As I have said on here before, it seems to give 90% of my Dynavector combo for 10% of the price; it really is that good. I put the JVC back into the system about a month ago and it still amazes me. Its not quite as engaging re the phono stage compared to the Dynavector but that is the best one I have heard. The DAC bit of the JVC is so good that I find myself listening to CD's more than usual.

With an integrated amp like the JVC its hard to untangle the part that the power amp and the pre amp play in the package. My hunch is that the power amp is the star because of the way it copes with the Shahinians. I feel that the pre amp is not the equal of the Dynavector but with the DAC engaged that becomes less of an issue; then you factor in the cost and you forgive it. The phono stage is good, probably very good but it is not its highlight.

So to summarise my experiences with this one box solution to amplification is that it offers a highly capable power amp, fantastic DAC, reasonable to good preamp and very good phono stage. Its really hard to fault all of that for the money they go for.

What are you guys using for connecting speaker cable?
I know bananas wont fit on the JVC, what about spades?

If anyone can help me track down a AX-Z1010TN that would be appreciated.

Don't know where you are located - UK presumably - but they seem to come up more often (= less infrequently) on the continent, especially Germany & The Netherlands.... but many seem to be searching 'cos of this thread !

I would definitely search with partial descriptions as the lowest prices will be from those who have "big old JVC amp to get rid of..."

I paid about GBP 250 inc a service for mine via Marktplaats here in NL, but being able to pick it up was obviously an advantage (still haven't heard mine as I'm moving).

Good luck.

Don't know where you are located - UK presumably - but they seem to come up more often (= less infrequently) on the continent, especially Germany & The Netherlands.... but many seem to be searching 'cos of this thread !

I would definitely search with partial descriptions as the lowest prices will be from those who have "big old JVC amp to get rid of..."

I paid about GBP 250 inc a service for mine via Marktplaats here in NL, but being able to pick it up was obviously an advantage (still haven't heard mine as I'm moving).

Good luck.

Thanks for that. They do seem to be more prevalent in Europe, especially Poland. The difficulty I have is the language barrier on most of those sites they are listed on. I would also need someone willing to ship abroad. I've been looking for a long time now!

Looking around at all these posts here on this forum, I would have thought a really good kick-ass versatile system could be built around the AURALiC Aries Mini plumbed into one of these JVC AX-1010 amps, mixing the old with the very new.

I think you may missing the point of why this amp is liked so much here. It's a one box solution, although that box is quite big and heavy. The integrated amp is very good, the phono stage is good and the DAC is very good, despite the DAC chip being a little dated.

advertisement

Back