advertisement

JPW AP2s - worth repairing or not?

The published sensitivity of the original Vifa M21WG-09-08 bass/mid driver equipped JPW models (P1, AP2, and AP3) was 90dB.

AP2 is essentially P1 but with the option of active operation, therefore these old Hi-Fi Choice reviews of both P1 and AP3 should offer some relevant info. Note that within the JPW AP3 review when they refer to AP1 they really meant P1.

JPW-P1-AP3-Hi-Fi-Choice-Reviews.jpg

Pray tell, T, Is this something new since our last conversation on the subject of Sansui integrateds?

Hi Craig
Yes, developments indeed.

I have only fairly recently discovered the sonic joys of older Japanese equipment from the 1970’s and in particular Sansui amps. My formative hifi years was based around the Linn/Naim/Rega/Creek stuff ‘cos that’s how it was in the UK in the 1980’s……

This enlightenment started when I needed an amp with a headphone socket for some home recording work and I took a punt on a recapped Sansui AU217mk2, mainly because it was cheap and available locally - absolutely loved it. It sounded so well balanced, punchy and tonally very good - worked really well with a pair of Audio Note AX2’s. I thought wow. I also heard a Sansui AU101 which I also liked but it wasn’t as well balanced as the 217 mk2. It felt a bit loose sound wise but in a very pleasant way.

Then I did some further research into this hitherto unknown world of hifi and took a plunge on a Sansui AU555a and it sounded amazing, even better than the 217mk2. I’ve sent this off now for a recap/service (no modifications, just preservation) - mainly because it is 50 years old and looked untouched.

So fast forward a bit, I recently picked up a really nice pair of JPW AP2’s that need a once over and a bass refoam. Once this is done, I plan to use these or the AX2’s with the AU555a. I wanted the AP2’s as a sealed box loudspeaker with a decently sized bass driver that could work in a smallish listening room. I also remember them sounding great and they are relatively simple to work on - I’m not a fan of speakers with complex crossovers as a rule. Also, really great value for the sound they can produce.

However, older Sansui amps man, they are just superb sounding !

Last edited:

advertisement

Back