advertisement

Jeremy Vine: privileged malcontent

waxkinglyrical

pfm Member
Is Jeremy Vine a cosseted, whiny, lily livered, namby-pamby bubble dwelling bed wetter or just a complete twunt?

I know where I stand, you decide.

Its a name I am aware of but couldn't place him so had to look him up. He hangs out on Radio 2, not somewhere I set foot so I have no views.

Go on, what has he done?

All I know about him is that he is the brother of comedian Tim Vine.

What does he do in the media?

Is this the Jeremy Vine who hosts the BBC 2 'Eggheads' show? If so, he often fronts other (political) event scenarios as well. Tim Vine, his comedian brother, starred in 'Not Going Out'. The only criticism I have of Jeremy is that (presumably) despite a good education, his pronunciation of foreign words and place names is dire. One doesn't expect the host of a programme like 'Eggheads' to be a pronunciation ignoramus.

Top man Jeremy! A hint too liberal, but open-minded, intelligent, quick, and 21st century.

In other words, not inclined to offend the BBC audience, middle-of-the-road, hence being perfect foil.

He's alright but he's never got into the heavyweight stuff. Radio 2, Panorama and Strictly Dancing say it all really.

his lunchtime show is apparently a news discussion forum...ie, pick a topic and air it to a few 'experts' and then throw it open to the 'what do YOU think' (we are REALLY interested in your views if the phone editors think your loony/controversial/have a funny accent/ or start all sentences with 'well Jeremy, as I see it...') brigade.
It's politics light and I just turn off as soon as it starts. Sort of Oprah Winfrey without the novelty.

To the OP's Q about his character, I have little idea. I imagined his show to be a persona, but who knows (oh. that was the Q wasn't it...ok, sry).

I am asking the OP why he asks the question. I don't care what you think of Jeremy Vine nor do I understand why you would think anyone would...

Substitute "richglib" in the OP and what.....

As liberal is the opposite of bigoted just how can one be "too liberal"?

Soft, weak, gullible, politically correct etc.

You know, the kind of person who feels sorry for the mugger who has just relieved them of their iPhone.

Often riddled with some degree of guilt for not being poor, black, uneducated, gay, transgender, ethnic enough etc etc

I've always thought he came across as a bit of an intellectual lightweight. I've never taken to the bloke. He's a born again Christian apparently.

All I can say is I prefer his show to "what's the recipe today jim" with Jimmy Young gawd bless im.
The jv show is quite slick and entertaining although I can happily miss the more dire medical topics that keep surfacing, however noble.
Also, I had to wince when the topic got round to tax havens when the man himself has a good tax efficiency scheme.

Reportedly!

Alright, I'll re-phrase what I posted earlier: I think he's a lousy weak interviewer who exploits sentiment for sheer vox.pop exposure, in place of actually asking the right question, or even holding a position in journalistic cross-examination at all. However close you look/listen, there's nothing of him 'there'.
Doesn't surprise me he's 'christian'; his interview is classic 'conversion' technique - posit a false dilemma, suggest a/the solution, milk the outcome & repeat.

I've very little time for him.

ETA: this is not a disagreement of politics, personal likes or similar: there are other broadcasters whose POV I often disagree with, even strongly; yet respect greatly for their force of argument / ability to frame discussion honestly and cogently / provoke thought and reflection.
J Vine brings none of this.

advertisement

Back