1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

JAZZ SAMBA ENCORE (Stan Getz etc.)

Discussion in 'music classifieds' started by Mike Reed, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Long shot. Don't mind the original '63 album or the U.K. '71 re-pressing or maybe another but vinyl must be in exc. condition.

2. panpeers

panpeers pfm Member

I have the Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd Jazz Samba on Jazz Images, 180gram vinyl, still sealed and unplayed.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Thanks for that, but it is the Encore I want.

4. panpeers

panpeers pfm Member

No probs, hope you find it.

5. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

P.m. sent

7. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

8. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

I am interested in this as I was googling to find out why the hole and "X" imprint was there. The shop I got it from, where I've been going for years, most of the time only sells UK items, not imports. A sort of gentleman's agreement with another shop, who sells US imports. So it was unusual to get something with a US label on it and it did have a price tag from a UK shop when I bought it.

The sleeve is otherwise in really good condition. The disc has a few marks. I have not listened to it for a while, so I will clean it and see if there are any pops and clicks.

"so unless you must have a pristine sleeve they are a very good buy." What do you mean by this.

p.s. I am not a collector and the shop I go to is not a collector's shop, although he does have rarities from time to time. I by records to listen to, not to trade, and I like this one.

As it was 1963 I assumed it was stereo, but now find it is a mono version, so will have to listen afresh with my mono cartridge.

9. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Pristine Sleeve: By this I meant that for some 'collectors' the condition of the sleeve is just as important or even more important than the record condition. S/H Prices are usually reflected in this. Like you I am Not a 'collector' in that sense so sleeve condition as long as reasonable is not a priority for me if a record is one I want and the pressing is in good condition.

10. radine

radine hermit

11. Aural

Aural Chris the Full Range fan

Or....get the CDs?
    I have several .....

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Funnily enough, after getting fed up finding a good LP, I paid peanuts for an 'acceptable' CD from Ebay (mainly to ensure that I really DID like 'Encore').. Just couldn't believe it sounded so good, firstly on my cans and afterwards through my big ESLs. That's me sorted.

It would seem, from my limited CD purchases, that the early era remastering/manufacture is superior to post 2000 ones with their compression. I'm sure there are exceptions here, but I've just ordered some more 1986 to '95 CDs; hope my theory holds.:)