advertisement

Japan's first album - Adolescent Sex

'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' and 'Tin Drum' are my favourites. 'Ghosts' from the latter is definitely a highlight. 'Tin Drum' in it's meld of new wave funk and Chinese/Asian melodies is pretty distinctive and nothing like the 'New Romantic' cliches of the time.

Japan are my favourite band (ever since playing my older stepbrother's 12 of Life in Tokyo to death and progressing from there aged around 13 in 1984, so I never saw them live but caught Sylvian at Manchester Apollo in about 1988/89), but it's eye(/ear)-opening to listen to Out of the Blue off Country Life (a lyric on Gentlemen Take Polaroids, of course) and much of Manifesto to hear very very clear precedents for the Quiet Life/Polaroids sound. Seriously have a listen to the opening of Out of the Blue - from what, 1974?

While no one would call either Country Life or Manifesto "glam", the point that Japan are not new romantic is fair, but that Duran Duran are a poppier pastiche of Japan is indisputable, down to their look, poor old Nick Rhodes continued with the David Sylvian Polaroids look well until...now..? You have to hand it to Duran though - they weren't manufactured, had stratospheric success and I'm not ashamed to say I loved many of their songs then and now. Plus Rio will get people going at a party in a way that, sadly, Methods of Dance will draw a blank :(

They even copied the po-faced existential Euro-art Japan of Nightporter - with e.g. The Chauffeur (love the ham-fisted stab at finding a profession with similar metaphoric potential, B&H and Carling vs. Gitanes and Ricard).

It's daft that Sylvian disowned the early Japan, because as the OP was inspired to write, Adolescent Sex is great. But, like Duran after them, unabashed pastiche - of the New York Dolls (ahem, Sylvain Sylvain), down to the look. In the service of something new and nothing wrong with it, it's not as if too many other were influenced by the Dolls (BBC OGWT Simpering Bob Harris: "mock rock").

And to the playing - some bands just gel don't they? All from Catford area, two brothers, into same music, probably jammed for hours (clocking up Gladwell's 10,000 in their teens), singular purpose. But the era of "non-musicians" produced many incredible units, e.g. Magazine.
Agreed, in suggesting 'glam in the vein of' early Roxy Music I was referring to their look was glam but it came with art school rock innovation.

Good to see positive vibes about Japan.

Tbf, they get their rightful share of appreciation on this forum.

Drifting to other albums, (GTP is my favourite, on now), Tin Drum is not only a classic album but is pretty much untouchable as a recording from the time - I'm lucky to have the original Virgin CD, the reissues are slightly on the bright side, not Bowie 91 levels though, thankfully. (Great "demo" music, a few seconds of Visions of China tells you all you need to know - as a side note, compare the audiophile favourite and made-for-CD Donald Fagen Nightfly from the same year IIRC, great album but far less easy-on-the-ear imo).

Sylvian's most recent work (Manafon and related) is of course it's own thing, but you still can't fault the production. Plus I thought Blemish was incredible when it came out, completely original and also a real raw emotion.

(I had to identify with Dave, not only as we have the same name (as millions of other 40+ blokes...) but I went to America at 27 for a girlfriend right as he was documenting his doing so for Ingrid Chavez, rather sappily in truth, on Dead Bees on a Cake, split and later arrived back in the UK in 2003 to enjoy his "break-up album" Blemish. I cringe at the phrase "the soundtrack of our lives" but there it is, part of you is the perpetual adolescent (full circle, just add sex when you finally get it). One more fan detail, I recall plucking my bloody eyebrows at 13 a la Gentlemen Take Polaroids cover, deathless cool on him with the make-up, less so when having to deny I'd done it at school - all boys - the next day, bless).

Tl;dr: It's only buildings and houses, why should I care!

Agreed, in suggesting 'glam in the vein of' early Roxy Music I was referring to their look was glam but it came with art school rock innovation.

Yeah, I hope my enthusiasm conveys that I wasn't intending to be dismissive, and in fact it's true to say they are glam, just not Slade or The Sweet (nowt wrong with them). I know they fit the category for Reynolds' purposes in his new book (at 700+ pages, he cast the net pretty wide :) ). Dave's voice is art-glam from the word go, think it was Chris Roberts in Melody Maker review of Secrets of the Beehive likened it to hairspray - he sounded like his iconic platinum barnet! (Went au naturel when the band broke up to let us know in no uncertain terms he wasn't glam any more).

Do give Manifesto a spin in this context; having looked up just now, what to my ears sounds like a real influence on Japan would have had to have worked quick - this and Quiet Life were both released in 1979, eight or nine months apart. Underrated album, too, I think.

Any fans here of the "Dali's Car" album?

Yes, I've got it on vinyl. Superb album. I never got on with Bauhaus at all, but Murphy in this context really works. Looks to be out of print now judging from Amazon prices (link).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As a big fan since 'Ghosts' was on TOTP, and still loving solo Sylvian, particularly 'Manafon' and the accompanying 'Died in the Wool', I could write an essay, but I won't. Just to say that no one seems to have mentioned Rob Dean. He is crucial to the early sound; a fantastic guitarist, and very much the most experienced musician in the band. He was older than the rest of them (who were just out of school) and doing a lot of session work when they found him. It's his sound that gives that ineluctable sleaze to tracks like 'Television' and that intoxicating glam funk groove to tracks like 'Wish You Were Black' or 'The Unconventional'.

I'd always subconciously lumped them in with The Thompson Twins, Duran Duran et al until 2003, when I watched Ghosts on the first OGWT DVD collection and was instantly blown away. I've had Tin Drum and Rain Tree Crow on Vinyl since shortly after then and it was 3 years ago when I got to explore the rest of their output on Spotify. There isn't a bad album amongst them, although Adolescent Sex and Tin Drum are probably my faves.

What happened to Rob Dean?
From Wikipedia:

Dean's principal activity now is as a professional ornithology writer and artist on the birds of Central America. He lives in Monteverde, Costa Rica, and, now known as Robert Dean, has established a reputation as an expert on the region's birdlife. In 2007 Dean collaborated as illustrator on a field guide (along with author Richard Garrigues), entitled The Birds Of Costa Rica: A Field Guide, [3] and in 2010 (with author George Angehr) on The Birds of Panama: A Field Guide. He has been reported as occasionally playing guitar with local bands including Monteverde's rock band Chanchos de Monte, fronted by Alan Masters.

According to Anthony Reynolds 's A Foreign Place, Dean's contribution to GTP were limited and Syivian became frustrated at Dean not performing to Sullivan's ideas musically or visually. Dean still had 'rock's hair. Dean was also not that keen on the more electronic direction the band were taking but apparently there was no animosity.
The book is pretty good think it's still available through Burning Shed.

advertisement

Back