advertisement

istDS to k-x?

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Should I think about moving on from the Pentax ist*DS? I know the DS has the benefit of the pentaprism for a bit of extra viewfinder brightness, but has the time come to move on from the DS?

Good question -- I'm also still plugging along with my *istDL. 6MP doesn't really limit me, but better noise / high iso performance would be a plus.

I can't comment on the ist*DS. However, I've owned the K-X for 8 weeks or so now and thoroughly enjoying it. I have limited experience with high ISO picture taking but can give you this link to a picture taken with mine with the ISO set to 3200 and indoors with low light. Any processing was done in camera - nothing done to it after it left the camera - picture taken as a JPEG.

I actually took the picture to answer a question posed regarding the camera on another forum.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/4328704522_b27dc8b407_o.jpg

Ian has had both I think, I had a go with the new one, it's nice to hold, has a good shutter noise and takes video so it's a winner in my book.

The K-x is nice. The sensor is good, ergonomics are decent, it's sensibly priced. As digicams go, it's pretty good.

I stupidly sold my *istDS to buy a K10D. I wish I hadn't. The *istDS is a fabulous little D-SLR. If it ain't broke ...

James

I gave my *ist to my Dad and replaced it with an K-20 something or other and now barely ever take photographs as my camera is 10% better but 50% heavier and 150% more baffling.

Maybe the K-x is not so fecked up but I really think modern D-SLRs are all sorts of wrong (certain technical and professional contexts notwithstanding).

The K-x is smaller and lighter than the old Pentax I had. It's not baffling either. I think they got this one right.

Does the k-x have a quiet shutter then? I seem to remember some stuff about the k-7 having a silent shutter (which sounds a great thing), but I have also read a few less than complementary things about it. I do like the (relatively) small form factor of the DS, which I believe the k-x follows.

I may well follow the "if it ain't broke" for the time being, and maybe wait for the next models. Having said that, a quick look on eBay shows that a DS will only fetch around £180, so for those regretting selling theirs....

Does the k-x have a quiet shutter then? I seem to remember some stuff about the k-7 having a silent shutter (which sounds a great thing), but I have also read a few less than complementary things about it. I do like the (relatively) small form factor of the DS, which I believe the k-x follows.

SSB - was it the DS that you had prior to the k-x then? If it's smaller/ligher than the DS then that is interesting.

I may well follow the "if it ain't broke" for the time being, and maybe wait for the next models. Having said that, a quick look on eBay shows that a DS will only fetch around £180, so for those regretting selling theirs....

I wouldn't say the shutter is especially quiet or especially loud. It seems fine. Average, probably.

No idea what I had before, can't remember the model number.

If 6mp is enough for your purposes there's probably not a lot of point changing. The low light performance at high ISOs is very good though, much better than I remember a lot of older sensors being. I can happily use it in colour at ISO 1600. That's definitely an improvement on older DSLRs. This is ISO 1600, for example.

imgp0133.jpg

That's very impressive. Frankly 6mb is fine for me, so I may as well stick with what I've got - but it does seem that things have moved forward. Thanks for helping me scratch the itch.

I'm probably going to be selling my istDS + lenses as I never use it.
I can use the funds for more daft music making devices.

well - despite my initial hostility towards DSLR's in general, I now really love my new K-x. Its certainly light, maybe too much sometimes! - but it doesn't feel lacking in facilities and I've managed to take some very nice pictures! I wouldn't say its silent, but the shutter-noise isn't deafening. Unfortunetly I can't really help you about how it compares to the ist*DS - you might get a more useful answer on the Pentaxforum though...

I now seem to have developed a worrying addiction to trawling Ebay several times a day for bargain extra lenses for it - the holy grail of fast&wide is still eludeing me though - Got any nice ones fox? :p

A swanee whistle?

I was thinking more on the lines of an EEG machine to read brainwaves and pump the raw data directly into Ableton for live-realtime processing. An SLR is more than I need. Too bulky. Never bring it anywhere. I'm happy with my Exilim 750 point and shoot.

I take my Olympus LS-10 everywhere I go however. Astonishing what I capture with it. I'm not really a visuals person anymore: photos for eBay and my diary are the limit of my visual artistic expression.

advertisement

Back