advertisement

Isabel Oakeshott.

maxflinn

pfm Member
The new darling of the BBC was involved in a Twitterstorm the other day, and it's a good read.

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/965940405215858688

pXI9HBdl.png

Interesting. They've long used cruelty and resentment strategically, in a more or less disguised way, but as with the Corbyn smear it's like they've lost control: all the ugly sentiment is laid bare and it's very unappealing. Hope the BBC continue to wheel her out: she holds up a mirror for a lot of Conservative voters and I don't think many will be able to stand it.

Funnily enough there are nearly that many disabled parking spaces at ASDA in Clapham Junction. It seems a bit mad, unless most of them are on the same level as the shop entrance, in which case it would make complete sense.

Oakeshott is a nasty bitch though. Oh, I've used an un-PC word.

Jack

Last edited:
I counted over 40 on Google maps and nearly 30 were occupied. That was just the top floor. The Google car obviously doesn't go into multi-storeys.

I bet they were using their nan's blue card. Or they were Travellers.

I am joking by the way :)

I don't know what Isabel is complaining about. Sometimes the disabled have to park far away from their destination in spots not reserved for them.

Do you see me complaining that they took one of "our" parking spots?

Joe

Isabel Oakeshott is The Daily Mail walking amongst us. It would be impossible to parody her.

There's a railway station, recently specifically built for the purposes of taking traffic off the roads and onto a modernised and extended railway, which has a substantial number of empty spaces in an otherwise regularly full car park. So more traffic and less revenue for public transport than would be possible with more parking spaces to meet the actual demand.

But never mind. If you need the train you can just drive on into Bicester and cause a traffic jam.

I think she’s reaching down market into the slurry pit to capture the toxic Katie Hopkins market segment- probably an editorial decision by Squire Dacre.

Is Isabel not a Trump advocate too btw?

A perfectly valid point considering no disabled person ever drives or uses the train.

Reading her post she appears to be stating that the disabled spaces are frequently empty. I've read nothing that indicates that she thinks car-parks should be devoid of disabled parking only that there appears to be a dis-proportionate assignment of disabled to regular spaces?

Reading her post she appears to be stating that the disabled spaces are frequently empty. I've read nothing that indicates that she thinks car-parks should be devoid of disabled parking only that there appears to be a dis-proportionate assignment of disabled to regular spaces?
Maybe. But we only have her word for it.

Also, it's claimed that the number of disabled spaces reflects the percentage of blue badges in circulation, which seems logical.

The bottom line is that Oakeshott is a professional far-right troll, who makes good money spreading poison (often on a platform provided by the BBC).

Anyone with compassion and basic human decency will find 101 other issues to feel outraged about before this.

I'm not defending her; If her twitter post is correct and the disabled bays are underused then it would appear too many spaces have been assigned to disabled bays.

If she were genuinely concerned that too many parking spaces had been allocated for the disabled, she'd want to see proper evidence (number of unused spaces over a week or, better yet, a month). But instead a snapshot was posted on twatter by a twit.

Joe

It's a pinned tweet too, meaning like a sticky thread it stays at the top where people see it, so she must be proud of it..

I'm not defending her; If her twitter post is correct and the disabled bays are underused then it would appear too many spaces have been assigned to disabled bays.

Have a look at the thread, this is all explained very well.

Like all pc gone mad trolls Oakeshott exploits the fact that the rationale behind regulation isn’t always immediately visible. She tips her hand here, with framing that obviously exaggerates things and with quips about the Paralympics: she shows us that cruelty is the real driving force behind all these appeals to common sense. Her followers on the thread don’t even bother to self-censor, while her critics do a good job of reading between the lines, and explaining things, and so the cruelty becomes very obvious. This kind of tabloid sadism doesn’t really work on social media.

If she were genuinely concerned that too many parking spaces had been allocated for the disabled, she'd want to see proper evidence (number of unused spaces over a week or, better yet, a month). But instead a snapshot was posted on twatter by a twit.

Joe

Taken from her twitter post "Today it was so packed that all the motorbike spaces were full of cars. I used the Park&Ride which cost double.dont mind walking at all but design is clearly daft"

She would appear to be a regular user of the car park and the disabled spaces appear to be close of the station so one assumes she walks past them?

No worries Mark; I'm not attacking you. I'm simply highlighting the wider political context: namely, a concerted effort by the far-right to dismiss any movement towards compassion for one's fellow human beings as "political correctness gone mad". It's a calculated (and vicious) strategy.

As I said, there are *many* more important issues to feel angry about - not least the treatment of the disabled by the benefits system.

The quip about the Paralympics, I agree, is crass however if the spaces are underutilized and the carpark often full then they are not required. I see no cruelty in this. Her critics appear to quote ratio's without any reference to the actual number of disabled motorists that use this specific car park.

advertisement

Back