advertisement

Is this the last Mr Tibbs split earth mod question?

diybry

pfm Member
Hi All, I've implemented the Mr Tibbs split earth mod many years ago on my hicap, which powers a 32.5. This made a significant improvement when my source was LP12 with MC cartidge. As I listen only to streamed digital these days, I've removed the MM, MC and tape buffer boards and replaced the 321's with Ryansound boards. (It sounds very good)
However, Looking at the PCB in the 32.5, it appears that one of the +ve from the hicap powers the MM and MC cards (or would if they were fitted) and the other +ve powers both 321 preamp boards (RSL in my case)
So, my question is this. As one of the +ve supplies appears to be redundant, is the split earth mod still applicable?
Also, would it be better to mod the 32.5 to take a +ve supply to each of the RSL boards? Or would it make little difference, as I understand the RSL boards have on board regulation?

I don't know the RSL boards, but if they are locally regulated the effect of using a dedicated supply per channel will be reduced. And supply effects at line level are weaker anyway, as there isn't so much gain to amplify any breakthrough. If you can do it as an easily reversible re-wire, try by all means, but I would be genuinely surprised if it gave a big effect.

Somebody here may have experience of something like this and be able to comment more usefully.

One +ve from the Hicap supplies the output gain boards, the other supplies everything else (the input buffers, phono boards and tape boards). You don’t mention the input buffers though, so have they been removed? If so, then only one supply is in use, but I’m not sure which one lights the LED.

I have no experience of the RSL boards, but I believe they use LM317 (or similar) regulators, which means they’re likely to inject noise back into the +ve supply, which would affect other boards on the same supply. Therefore, they may benefit from their own supply, but that would be difficult to implement.

The only remaining Naim board is the NA325 Switch on relay. The RSL boards have replaced the amp boards and the buffer boards as per this video, except I don't have the high level input boards, I have just bypassed the pins for these.
(I've just seen that Kit Ryan has stopped making these boards, a pity as they are great)

Even though locally regulated..the RSL boards still gain significantly from improvements to their supply and earthing (I have found)
I can highly recommend
Removing the volume pot (if you have RSL boards with volume control)
Bypassing the on board Naim relay
Bypassing the balance pot (and put in quality fixed resistors)

These things all make a further improvement to any PS mods

advertisement

Back