advertisement

Is my love affair with Naim over?

GJP

pfm Member
I have owned and listened to nothing but (low to mid end) Naim amplification for the last 15 years. Whenever I have briefly listened to other amps in dealers I have pulled a face and thought no not for me.

But, I recently split my second system and moved my Rega Brio R into my main system, a week later it is still there and I am not rushing to swap it out.

It's hard to put my finger on it, I am sure some of the detail and dynamics have been lost, but with that more fluidity seems to have been gained and I have listened to more music in the last week than the last couple of months.

It has me wondering whether I should start a more serious affair away from Naim.

If I were to consider a new amp up to £2000 then what should I consider?
The new Rega Elicit comes to mind of course

The Elicit R is a very good amplifier indeed. If you want fluidity and dynamics you need a decent source component to partner with it.

I would suggest a Rega Apollo R + a decent DAC like Rega's own or the forthcoming Lakewest MDAC2 to be launched early next year.

I would put it down to just hearing your tunes in a different flavour, when the novelty wears off you will be regretting any rash decisions.
I tried many flavours of hifi from age 18 to age 50, then I found naim and have never looked back.

My current source is a Naim CD5X and FC2X. I can't see myself ever upgrading from this or spending a lot on a new CD player, it is about at the level I am prepared to pay/happy at.

I experimented a year ago with various transports into a Rega DAC, but after about a year decided my old CD3.5 was still the best. The CD5X is a big improvement on the 3.5, but it does need the FC in my system to control the bass

Just swapped out 152xs and 200. As Peter and amazement say I need to swap back before making any real conclusions.

Some may differ, but I like to change things here and there, it just makes the HiFi bit of music loving a bit more fun. I'd not be surprised if the Naim coming back into your main system was "an improvement" or at least provide a fresh incentive to play lots of stuff :)

I have a mid-range Naim system ( 282/supercap/250/cds 3/Allaes). I also run other equipment which I like as well. A lot of it comes down to room, matching equipment, dealer support, availability, and preference.

I have heard the Brio R into a couple of different speakers (including Wilson Sophia III's of all things). Sounds great. But so does a lot of other stuff. Play with and optimize what you have while going out and demoing things you think you might like. Try not to get too drawn into magazines and on-line forums. Take your time and you'll know if a change is warranted.

I still have mixed emotions regarding being currently Naimless
I have had Naim amplification for over 24 years from 72/hicap/250 to 52/Sc/250 and several different versions in-between.
Currently im with DV L300mk2/ Hx1.2Mk2 and they are superb amps , but sometimes i do miss the Naim signature
Would i ever go back to Naim ?- Yes
But i would say that on the majority of music the DVs have the edge (£ 4 £ wise)- Its a difficult choice but dont be afraid to venture:D

All answers are meaningless until we know what speakers you are using.

The 200 may be forcing the issue, so it's worth trying a 155.

Andrew, that is a very interesting observation. I did used to have a matched 155xs, but then bought an ex demo 200, and to be honest I have never thought it brought a lot to the table. I should never have dithered over your 202, as I have not found as good an example since. Speakers are NM2s, all on fraim lite. Gary

I have owned and listened to nothing but (low to mid end) Naim amplification for the last 15 years. Whenever I have briefly listened to other amps in dealers I have pulled a face and thought no not for me.

But, I recently split my second system and moved my Rega Brio R into my main system, a week later it is still there and I am not rushing to swap it out.

It's hard to put my finger on it, I am sure some of the detail and dynamics have been lost, but with that more fluidity seems to have been gained and I have listened to more music in the last week than the last couple of months.

It has me wondering whether I should start a more serious affair away from Naim.

If I were to consider a new amp up to £2000 then what should I consider?
The new Rega Elicit comes to mind of course

GJP
Pease can you let us know your current setup.
I transformed my all Naim set up with a DualTeddycap for my 202 with Teddy 4/5 SNAICS .

I went from a Naim system to EAR valve amplification and was completely happy. The change it made when I was playing my Linn LP12, CD-player and DAC, was so profound I didn't think about returning once.

In a few months time I will build a new system. I will go back down the EAR valve route or get some ATC/AvantGarde active speakers.

Jack

So, taking it out of a system and them putting it back improves its performance. Interesting...
I think I'll stick to my Quad.

Yes, it can, or it could when I owned naim, wiggling those din plugs in and out of the sockets a few times usually caused the system to perk up, compared with the sockets left unmolested for several months, i.e. remaking the contacts is all I'm saying.

I went from Naim to Accuphase for my main listening, and haven't looked back.

Still use a SN2 for my second system though.

I'm a Naim fan, ever since I heard a Nait 2 back in 1993.
When I read all the raving words about the Rega Brio-R I couldn't resist though, so i ordered one without any listening first. (no dealer in my are that had one)

Imho the Brio-R is probably without competition in its price range. (and higher) I could happily live with it for many years.
It's a lovely amp and I prefered it to the Nait 5i-2, and only prefered the Nait XS by a very small margin.

For the last 4 months I'm using a Sonneteer Campion and I totally love it. :)
I'm not missing my Naim gear at all. (had a Nait XS + ND5xs earlier this year)

I don't quite understand the enthusiasm for the Brio R on this forum. It's perfectly decent, but as I've said a few times before, myself and Banjoman compared to my old (now stupidly sold) Onix 21S on his ES11s and Proac D28s. We liked the Onix more in every way. It is a superbly balanced budget amp and the only reason to go for a modern alternative is to have a remote control. There were lots of other great budget integrated amps in the 80s too, so for me that has to the best way to go at this price point.

To go back to Gary's particular situation, I don't know the speakers, but I found the 200 exciting but a bit pushy on my Harbeths. As soon as I got it in my system I was hearing the emphasis on the leading edge of the upper bass. Saying that I kept it for a couple of years and enjoyed it with 202/200/Dual Teddycap, but I always felt that 152/155 was a more balanced option, more similar in character to the Onix 21S in fact.

As Alco has mentioned, Sonneteer are a great option for recovering Naimies (and a great option altogether). Also Heed. And Teddy's amps are brilliant at a slightly higher price-point, but quite affordable on the sale of a 200 I should think.

I went from a Naim system to EAR valve amplification and was completely happy. The change it made when I was playing my Linn LP12, CD-player and DAC, was so profound I didn't think about returning once. Jack

Me too. Went from CB 135s to EAR 509s four plus years ago, but still with the 552 pre. Lost that lovely quick, dry bass but gained air, tactility and imaging.

Tempted to try upmarket valved pre., but the synergy I have between 552 and 509s does make me wonder. Besides, my Headline is powered by the 552, and I'd lose that facility.

advertisement

Back