advertisement

Is my cartridge alinged close enough?

garry71

I printed off a protractor to see how well my Planar 1 was set up at the factory, and it's a bit off. I took some piccies, so would appreciate any opinions.

It's on target at C', and slightly off at C and at the grid by a shade over a millimetre. Is this close enough?

Cheers
Garry

That is way off.

What protractor did you print off and did you check it against a ruler as they normally have a line to check it printed correctly.

When I had a Rega I printed off the K Willis protractor which was great.

Can't see it available on vinylengine but I'd use the Rega Baerwald.

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

I did check it with a ruler, and it was bang on. It was the Rega Stevenson protractor I used as that seemed to be the most recommended , but I'll print off the Baerwald one now and check it with that.

Cheers

If it was aligned at the factory, it won't match with a Stevenson, Baerwald or any protractor other than that which Rega provide. Check it with the Rega protractor that came with the deck and it will likely be correct. It's not a case of your protractor being incorrect, and likely not a case of your alignment being incorrect; it's simply a case that the specified geometry and null points are different, and thus the cartridge will appear "off".

stevenson has better tracking for inner grooves so unless you listen to a lot of old classical records the baerwald is a better all round protractor

If it was aligned at the factory, it won't match with a Stevenson, Baerwald or any protractor other than that which Rega provide. Check it with the Rega protractor that came with the deck and it will likely be correct. It's not a case of your protractor being incorrect, and likely not a case of your alignment being incorrect; it's simply a case that the specified geometry and null points are different, and thus the cartridge will appear "off".

It didn't come with a protractor, just the cardboard platter disk with basic setup instructions. I can't find an actual official Rega protractor anywhere.

stevenson has better tracking for inner grooves so unless you listen to a lot of old classical records the baerwald is a better all round protractor

I'm mostly listening to old classical records at the moment, with their fair share of IGD.

I've just tried the Baerwald protractor, and it's off at C even more, by about 4mm. The measurement check line was ok.

Should I stick with the Stevenson, and fine tune it to that then?

FWIW I find the key to final adjustment is to have the headshell screws loose enough so you can move the cartridge a minute amount. Then you can play a record easily with different settings. Listen carefully at each setting, you will find you will go past the correct setting, but you can always go back.
Of course you start with a protractor but even according to Herr Brinkmann the final adjustment has to be done by ear. ( The manual for the La Grange has details of the changes you will hear, it should still be on his website).
P.S. I've read that the bedding in (wear) of a new cartridge is just due to the slight mis-alignment which is almost inevitable.

It didn't come with a protractor, just the cardboard platter disk with basic setup instructions. I can't find an actual official Rega protractor anywhere.
Give Rega a call and I'm sure they'll help you out with the necessary protractor.

Well done! Does it sound any better? I always used Baerwald with a DL-110 on a rega arm- meant cartridge was very forward in the slots and twisted inwards...sounded great though :)

It sounds like there is slightly less IGD on old classical records, but my Bowie albums which are in good nick sound a little different somehow. Can't quite put my finger on it at the moment as one of my ears is playing up a bit with some wax, so it might be that.

It does seem like there's an improvement on the old classicals anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

advertisement

Back