advertisement

iPhone Not Charging

droodzilla

pfm Member
It's a 3GS (yes I know!).

I just plugged it in and it shows no sign of charging. It briefly flashed up a "iphone charging is not supported with this accessory" message. Tried gently cleaning both the charging slot in the phone and the but that plugs into it.

Any ideas?

I'm not too concerned about the phone itself - I've been meaning to replace it for ages. But I'm bothered about the data. If it's a physical issue with the charging slot, will it be possible to take a full back-up before I switch to a new phone (which will probably be an iPhone 6 variant). Is this the sort of thing an Apple store would be able to help with?

Any charge left? If yes, connect immediately to a computer with iTunes and perform a full back up! Even if no, try plugging it into a computer.

Try a different charging lead. Try turning it off (i.e. hold down power button then slide to power off) and on again.

If no joy...
Was it configured to backup to iCloud automatically when it is on Wi-fi and charging? This is the default with newer iPhones/iOS I think? If so, you may already have a recent iCloud backup without realising it and, once you enter your iCloud details on a replacement iPhone you'll automatically get back everything that was backed up.

Kind regards

- Garry

P.S. If you like the 3GS form factor, the SE is a stonking bargain now. Seen it for under £250 SIM-free recently.

Answering questions...

Yes, it's an official Apple lead.

Back up - I'm in the same boat. The plug won't fit snugly and squarely into the socket in the iPhone so iTunes can't see the phone.

No iCloud back-up, it was never an option for me.

And yes, I'll probably go for an SE if this one's dead in the water.

Anyway first stop is a local iPhone fixer - maybe he'll be able to help (at least it might be possible to try a different charging lead).

That was certainly the problem with our lad’s. Despite him not seeing anything in there, the Apple store produced some mini-cotton bud thingy and sorted him out (with their compliments).

Clean the port out with a tooth pick

This. My wife almost replaced my son's iPhone after it was failing to charge. I cleaned it out with a toothpick - there was an amazing amount of fluff jammed in there - and now it charges perfectly.
Avoid using anything metallic to poke around in the port - a toothpick is the perfect size and material for the job.

Go and get some acetone from the local chemist. Then cut a Cotton bud in half diagonally. Dip pointy bit in the acetone then gently clean out the slot. This worked for me for a while.
Ultimately I bought and fitted a replacement charge socket assembly from the bay and it’s been fine for over a year now

All sorted now. I poked around in the slot (with a pointy metal thing) to no avail.

Took it to a local phone shop who were able to test it with a new charging lead - bingo!

Just as well - my boiler started leaking this morning and I need to get that fixed. :(

I've got a slightly different problem. My iPhone8+ keeps disconnecting itself from my car's USB port once it reaches 92% charge. This is a pain when I'm listening to music stored on it. I've since discovered that my car's USB port has a slightly higher voltage (5.3V without load) compared to both official wall charger and MacBook USB port. The higher voltage is fine with a higher current draw when the phone battery is low. But it seems to trigger the iPhone to disconnect when its battery is almost full and the current drawn is negligible. The thing is, my earlier iPhone5 didn't have disconnection problems on the same port, and it did not suffer battery longevity issues as a result of over-voltage.

I suppose I could take my car to the dealer and point out the problem, which could be fixed under warranty, but that is such a minor matter. Is my iPhone8+ now clever enough to sense over-voltage to protect itself or is there something I can do myself to reduce the USB output more to spec?

advertisement

Back