advertisement

Investment advice for 16 year old

Jensen, the example you mention (your own property) is a bit of a one off, and surely, if you've bought the freehold, it isn't leasehold any longer, despite the sub-lease. I've never heard of a leasehold cum freehold property as the two are recognisably different forms of ownership. Bit puzzled here and would like to be educated.

Ah, just a thought. Do you mean (like your own example) a freehold property which exercises a lease on another in its curtilage ? Not many of those around, I'd wager.

There are zillions of leasehold properties in the country. All of the underlying freeholds (the land, essentially) are tradeable as a seperate entity. If you are investing for the long term - buying freeholds can be very good investments. Ask the Duke of Westminsters estate!

we took out stakeholder pensions for our children and they grow at huge rates with no further investment . one grew by £75 last year [ £430 ] royal London and another with standard life did the same . if I had put that in the bank for them they would be lucky to get a couple of quid

There are zillions of leasehold properties in the country. All of the underlying freeholds (the land, essentially) are tradeable as a seperate entity. If you are investing for the long term - buying freeholds can be very good investments. Ask the Duke of Westminsters estate!

Sorry, Jensen; I completely misinterpreted your original 'left-field' idea as I was thinking property rather than land rights. Interesting idea and of course this is a variation on what large builders are being taken to task over at the mo'. Two decades or more ago BTL was the no-brainer way to get rich; with hindsight, of course.

Before following hifi forum advice regarding pensions take a few moments to check out acturial rates/forecasts, pension deficits in both public/private sector, the laws regarding roles of pension trustees/major shareholders in company pension schemes etc etc. Your 16 year old embarking on a pension is the best thing that they could do (to prop up the pension of a 66 year old).
Someone proposing property?-ask if they have a vested interest in a 16 year old propping up their property price. Amateur financial advice is a bit like amateur psychiatry- the advisor ends up projecting their own interests/issues on to that of the advisee (as do many professional advisors it has to be said).
The non-financial advice propounded above appears much more useful. Flexibility, transferrable skills, family/social solidarity, positive mental outlook- the stuff you cant put a price on.

Before following hifi forum advice regarding pensions take a few moments to check out acturial rates/forecasts, pension deficits in both public/private sector, the laws regarding roles of pension trustees/major shareholders in company pension schemes etc etc. Your 16 year old embarking on a pension is the best thing that they could do (to prop up the pension of a 66 year old).
Someone proposing property?-ask if they have a vested interest in a 16 year old propping up their property price. Amateur financial advice is a bit like amateur psychiatry- the advisor ends up projecting their own interests/issues on to that of the advisee (as do many professional advisors it has to be said).
The non-financial advice propounded above appears much more useful. Flexibility, transferrable skills, family/social solidarity, positive mental outlook- the stuff you cant put a price on.

You are absolutely right, of course.

I have found every single one of the replies, even the apparently flippant ones, to be very helpful - if not for the actual advice but for the various thoughts and opinions.

I feel safe on this particular forum that the comments are to be (mostly) taken at face value, and I am very appreciative of them all.

Wait for stock market to drop. Then buy shares in 5/6 companies of your/his (apparently my kids told me about Netflix a couple of years ago: shame I wasn't listening !) choice.

:)

No, I've just been putting away all the small amounts of cash from Christmas / birthday presents which have come from family members.

It all adds up. He doesn't even know that he has it,

He must think he's got a pretty mean family.

advertisement

Back