advertisement

Integrated Amps with MC phono sections?

jamesd

pfm Member
What's out there?

My quick searching has turned up:

Yamaha A-S1100 (and others higher in the line)
Current Luxman Integrateds

anything else I'm missing?

For context; I have a luxman 505ux (I love it to pieces) which has a phono stage. The MC input is fine, nice sounding, very smooth, but my Dino / NCPSU is far superior.

If it is new rather than s/hand you're looking for, Denon do a few in the form of the PMA-2500NE/1520AE/1600NE. I haven't heard any of the current range but previously owned and enjoyed a PMA-S10II, which had an excellent MM/MC phono stage.

If it is new rather than s/hand you're looking for, Denon do a few in the form of the PMA-2500NE/1520AE/1600NE. I haven't heard any of the current range but previously owned and enjoyed a PMA-S10II, which had an excellent MM/MC phono stage.

for my own purposes, used is fine and cheaper is better. I'm looking to reduce box count for the next few years while I have nosey toddlers in the house. A built in DAC is a bonus, but I could always get a Schiit Modi Multibit (very compact unit).

I'm in the US, also.

Edit: also, I want a MC input because I use a Denon 103 and plan to do so as long as cartridges are disposable/wear items.

I have just ordered a PMA-2500NE, based on my previous experience with a PMA-2000AE.
The older PMA-2000AE (and PMA-2010AE/PMA-2020AE) are more readily available second hand. As well as the PMA-1500AE (and PMA-1510AE/PMA-1520AE) etc.

Other than that, there are a lot of older Sony integrateds like the TA-F670ES and TA-F770ES which are a bit more affordable.
I used both the Sony's above with a Denon DL103, good match.

Even the little old Cyrus One had both phono inputs and they weren't at all bad. These seem to have appreciated a little this year too.

Hmm lots of people seem to be asking about integrated amps lately... A reverse of the old start with integrated and move up to pre and power maybe?

You're probably better off looking for an integrated with a good MM stage and getting a SUT.

You're probably better off looking for an integrated with a good MM stage and getting a SUT.

I’m sure you’re right, I’m just sick of boxes...and their associated cable mess. In an ideal world, it would be an integrated amp with a built in SUT and a DAC.

I’d probably be even better off switching to a MM cartridge on my RP6, but I haven’t found a cartridge I like as much as the Denon 103 for the price (I’d be open to suggestions).

What's out there?

My quick searching has turned up:

Yamaha A-S1100 (and others higher in the line)
Current Luxman Integrateds

anything else I'm missing?

The MC stage in my As3000 and presumably the 2100 is exceptinally good, to good actually considering I have a Lehmann Black Cube SEII!

Perreaux Eloquence 150i, you can get it with a MM/MC card and a DAC. I'm sure there's a 150i for sale in the classifieds ... cough, cough, :). It hasn't got a phono card or DAC fitted at present but I think I can get a Phono card fitted to it, just need to call in a favour (can't get a DAC board though, you'd need to get one from a Perreaux dealer).

I sold my Luxman SQ 38 valve integrated last year, but if you fancy valves, that was designed as the ultimate one box solution for amplification (no dac tho) and has its own MM/MCL/MCH phono stage with dedicated transformer and valves which is V.V.good indeed.
35wpc. Great amp.

advertisement

Back