advertisement

In ear headphone tips difference

venton

pfm Member
I was shocked with the difference that different tips make to my in ear headphones.
I've had the same tips on for months but thought I'd try some of the other shapes that came with them (Soundmagic E10).
Each one had different sound presentation, and the one I settled on (wide, not much depth) sounds so much better than the ones I had before. Better seal I suppose. Stronger bass and much clearer generally. I'm delighted.
I tried some Inair foam tips but sound was much weaker.
So..,what are the best tips out there? Clear to me they are worth getting right.

I bet it is down to the shape and state of ones ears.

One persons amazing experience is total misery as I found out.

Over to the rest

Definitely worth experimenting with different types in my experience with Shure IEMs. Mine came with a selection of different tips, and although comfort is the primary factor for me, they do seem to change the sound as well. I suspect the main issue is getting a good seal.

Definitely worth experimenting with different types in my experience with Shure IEMs. Mine came with a selection of different tips, and although comfort is the primary factor for me, they do seem to change the sound as well. I suspect the main issue is getting a good seal.

Yep. I could never get on with the silicon tips with my Etymotics. The foam ones worked for me. The opposite now with my Shure 'phones. It does make me wonder whether custom moulds would be the best way to go for comfort / sealing.

James

You do tend to see a few 1 star reviews on Amazon for excellent headphones. Usually saying 'no bass whatsoever'. I am quite convinced this is due to them not understanding the importance of a decent seal for these type of headphones.

I use mine mainly for travel so need good isolation. I have always found Comply foam tips the best compromise between comfort and isolation, I'm sure custom tips would take things even further.

The problem with comply tips is that they need replacing fairly frequently as the foam absorbs wax from your ears. I could have probably bought some customs for the number I've been through.

I agree that most of the poor amazon reviews will be due to poor fit.

I've had great results with Comply tips. Better fit and better sound. They are foam and change shape when exposed to body heat to fit the ear canal.

It might be a daft question but how do you insert the Complys? Do you have to squeeze the foam flat first and then insert, or just push them in?
I got some Inairs but never got a decent seal with them.

It might be a daft question but how do you insert the Complys? Do you have to squeeze the foam flat first and then insert, or just push them in?
I got some Inairs but never got a decent seal with them.

Roll the tips between your fingers, pull back the ear and insert. Hold for a couple of seconds until the foam tips expand.

I went through a few Comply foam tips and although they are very good, they don't last long and for the amount they cost, you soon end up spending way too much on them.
I found a very good cheap alternative is to buy some foam ear plugs - I use the ones from Boots the Chemist which are £4 for 3 pairs. You can make 6 pairs out of these as I cut them in half, then get a biro or something of similar thickness and make a hole in the middle and pull the hole over the tip of the IEM. Works a treat.

This is just typical of my hifi nuttiness. I found a pair of tips which work really well and I'm looking for better!

I moved from Etymotic foam to Comply foams and now custom IEM sleeves. Far more comfy/better fitting/better sounding than any of the other ends I tried on my Ety's.

I moved from Etymotic foam to Comply foams and now custom IEM sleeves. Far more comfy/better fitting/better sounding than any of the other ends I tried on my Ety's.

Do the customs require a mold of ear at audiologist?

In ear headphones will kill your hearing very fast,unreversible.You can read a lot of it on internet,google "ear headphones hearing loss"...In my country we have audiometric examination for drivers licence,and my friend who is doctor told me that hearing at young population who comes to that test is catastrofic.Loudness war in music earbuds is the main reason.

In ear headphones will kill your hearing very fast,unreversible.You can read a lot of it on internet,google "ear headphones hearing loss"...In my country we have audiometric examination for drivers licence,and my friend who is doctor told me that hearing at young population who comes to that test is catastrofic.Loudness war in music earbuds is the main reason.

So will any phones if you insist on playing them too loud. In-ear phones require little volume to provide a very satisfying listen in most situations, but headphones of any type are not a good idea if used to compete with external noise.

So will any phones if you insist on playing them too loud. In-ear phones require little volume to provide a very satisfying listen in most situations, but headphones of any type are not a good idea if used to compete with external noise.

I guess that is where noise cancelling technology comes into play. Not only does it allow you to hear music better but it could save your ears by allowing you to listen at sane volume levels!

Similar to the above post, it's why iem style earphones are the only thing that works for me, the comply phone tips allow me to play music quietly enough to still fall asleep whilst listening on long flights. I often have the iPhone on the lowest volume with my klipsch X11.

It's easy to see why headphones can be dangerous when you hear of all the people complaining about eu volume caps on players, they must listen unbelievably loud with most headphones to run into it!

advertisement

Back