advertisement

I'm organising a celebrity Organ Recital

Nic Robinson

...at the church where I play in Haywards Heath, Sussex. Details below (programme tbc). Please tell anyone you know who might want to come to this. Wayne needs little introduction and is an old school friend. Thanks all.

Celebrity Organ Recital – Wayne Marshall

St Wilfrid’s Church, Haywards Heath

In 1998, Wayne Marshall, the prodigiously gifted international concert organist gave the inaugural recital on the brand new Kenneth Tickell organ. He then came back 10 years later, and we are delighted to say that Wayne will make a third visit on Thursday 21st June to celebrate our organ’s 20th birthday.

Wayne studied at Chetham’s School of Music and the Royal College of Music before commencing a stellar career as piano and organ recitalist, conductor and composer. He is in huge demand all over the world and this year he is playing at the Royal Albert and Bridgewater halls. For Wayne to come to St Wilfrid’s is a rare opportunity indeed, and is a testament to his fondness for the very special instrument Kennet Tickell built for us two decades ago.

The Kenneth Tickell “opus 38” is a 2 manual and pedal organ and has 20 speaking stops. Despite its fairly modest specification, it has a wonderful palette of colours and fills the church very effectively from its purpose-built west gallery, and is at home in a wide variety of music from Bach to Messiaen. The organ’s tone is complemented by its beautiful case in American oak.

We are thrilled that the late Kenneth Tickell’s wife, Pippa will be at the recital as our guest of honour.

Wayne Marshall

Thursday 21st June at 7.30pm (doors open at 7)

Tickets: £20 and £15 from ticketsource.co.uk

(search for “Wayne Marshall”)

Great
1 Open Diapason 8
2 Stopped Diapason 8
3 Principal 4
4 Fifteenth 2
5 Sesquialtera II
6 Mixture IV
7 Trumpet 8
i Tremulant
ii Swell to Great

Swell
8 Chimney Flute 8
9 Salicional 8
10 Voix Celeste 8
11 Principal 4
12 Flute 4
13 Gemshorn 2
14 Mixture III
15 Hautboy 8
iii Tremulant

Pedal
16 Sub Bass 16
17 Octave 8
18 Flute 8
19 Principal 4
20 Fagot 16
v Great to Pedal
vi Swell to Pedal

Tracker key action : Electric stop and combination actions
Slider soundboards

Celebrity Organ Recital – Wayne Marshall

St Wilfrid’s Church, Haywards Heath

Pedal
16 Sub Bass 16
17 Octave 8
18 Flute 8
19 Principal 4
20 Fagot 16
v Great to Pedal
vi Swell to Pedal

Tracker key action : Electric stop and combination actions
Slider soundboards

What - no Bourdon?!!

I saw/heard Wayne Marshall some time ago in Norway. Haywards Heath is too far for me (despite being closer than Norway!) and I have to admit that I do not share his general taste in music but I should like to come.

Can I be pedantic for a moment, please? The employment of the term "tracker action" when describing a mechanical action organ is incorrect. The instruments are of mechanical action and the trackers, along with stickers, backfalls etc. are just part of that mechanism. But I know I'm know I'm fighting a losing cause . . . . .

I have gained some exposure as Cornet IV on other forums and would be pleased to see a section here devoted to that most wonderful of instruments. I think there might be a surprising amount of interest such as that established on the old BBC Platform 3 forum, sadly long gone. Over time, the monikers contributing created a full reed chorus!

Can I be pedantic for a moment, please? The employment of the term "tracker action" when describing a mechanical action organ is incorrect. The instruments are of mechanical action and the trackers, along with stickers, backfalls etc. are just part of that mechanism. But I know I'm know I'm fighting a losing cause . . . . .
You are. Not only that, the information above was from the builder's website...and if it's good enough for Ken...

"Tracker action" is a universal expression, understood by all, and perfectly suitable IMO. I made sausage stew this morning which is gently cooking in the AGA. Technically it's sausage, onion, garlic, carrot, tomato and gravy stew, but you didn't need to know all of that :)

You are. Not only that, the information above was from the builder's website...and if it's good enough for Ken...

"Tracker action" is a universal expression, understood by all, and perfectly suitable IMO. I made sausage stew this morning which is gently cooking in the AGA. Technically it's sausage, onion, garlic, carrot, tomato and gravy stew, but you didn't need to know all of that :)

I thought this an unnecessarily petulant response to what I considered a perfectly reasonable contribution, made in the spirit of helpfulness. It didn't warrant a reply but if other forum members accept your view, they will have been misled. I don't suppose it matters but I prefer to show a little light into the darkness of ignorance when I am able - hence this final note from me before I quit the forum. Or get moderated!

Some while ago, certainly before you were born, together with a few other friends of Cecil Clutton, I was invited to play his newly-commissioned house organ. Amongst this company was Noel Mander who built the instrument - it is possible you may have heard of him - and I had almost the same conversation with him. It was he who insisted that the correct terminology is as I have described so I do not consider that my position lacks authority.

Bye again.

Funnily enough, petulant was the word that came to mind when I read your first post on this thread where you managed to take a thinly veiled snobbish swipe at Wayne (and you know his personal taste in music how?) and to be childishly pedantic in two paragraphs. Here is a page (found on the Harrison and Harrison - perhaps you have heard of them - site in about 2 minutes) where (again) mechanical action is described as "tracker". Noel Mander was technically right and, as a respected organ builder probably felt he was educating you. That does not, however, give you the right to pull everyone up who uses the universally accepted term, especially when the words quoted above were those of Ken Tickell.

advertisement

Back