advertisement

ifi spdif purifier and analogue power supply

The Mytek is burning in at long last, I was getting worried there for a while, that highly extended and heavy top and bottom end have now settled down and there is a good balance. It is beginning to sound quite special IMO. I think it beats the DAC5 special in the way it portrays expressions of music. e.g it seems to be more realistic sounding when listening to female vocals, their voices seem to express more emotion and have a seamless flow in the information produced that I had not noticed before. Will burn in another few days then do very direct comparisons with the DAC5. This is a keeper no matter what. I can see why it was used by professional recording engineers.

At present I am using a modded Teac 25x, which I think is my favourite transport so far. and audio note sogon digital cable. It gets worse with the ifi so that has been removed from the equation. Still benefits from the WE transformers.

Dan I eill get round to using the JVC one more time, but in the set up I have now I felt the AUdio note sounded so much more dynamic and 'alive'. But I must revisit it once more, and I will try and do so this weekend.

PS the lab 47 cables have in my system at least for now sounded better than the Kaptons. But I am certain every component change has its own favourite match and i can see them being used again once the system changes. They are both excellent. Luke

Yep it's not easy to get it right as you have to get the resistor tolerances extremely close and this doesn't suit mass production.

I know Lampizator also rates the r2r above all else and I think the Schiit Yggdrasil is also an r2r design.

Having tried a few DACs I don't think anything comes close to my AN DAC although I was very impressed with the Chord Hugo & QBD76
Hugo mk2 and Dave walk all over those for SQ.

Dan I have fired up the JVC....... it is so smooth, refined and valve like. I had forgotten how good overall the amp was. It is indeed high end. You were right the ifi spdif did not improve it just took it sideways IMO. It did however improve the PRAT to a certain extent. So there you go it is a very variable upgrade from unit to unit.

Putting the Mytek through the cd inputs of the JVC again revealed a different sound. Faster more expressive and more detailed. Again some will like the ultra sumptuous smooth refined sound of the JVC DAC and others the more dynamic fast paced exciting sound of the Mytek. I love the pre/power though in my set up, I could listen to it for hours without fatigue and with the Mytek they are IMO a great match, not quite as good as with the Pyes but them they cost 5x as much

I have now had a chance to test the Mytek against the Audio Note DAC 5 special. Very very interesting in my set up, and the AN did not have its usual ancillaries associated with it. Both have their own advantages valves versus solid state.

JUST BOUGHT THE JAYS AUDIO CDT3 and THE DENAFRIPS PONTUS, might be one step more above the Mytek.? Evaluating now. Build quality should price them in the many thousands, gorgeous build quality best i have ever come across

I had to look up those 2 units having never heard of them. I would be interested in your findings on the Denafrips Pontus, afraid the CDT is beyond me and I still enjoy my Project RS box transport. Did you order the dac direct from Singapore?

already heard the Denafrips Pontus, and returned it !!!! after 3 days of burn in!!!! to upgrade it

to buy the Denafrips Terminator.

I have an audio note dac5 special and the Mytek Brooklyn. The Pontus was from a different place, a sound so different from what i am use to from digital. I will report back on the terminator once it arrives. But with 0,005% resistor precision and the sound I heard from the Pontus I wonder if CD has at long last reached vinyl status???? Should arrive next week. The Terminator by all accounts is a big step up from the Pontus and the Pontus was special to my ears.

I bought it from Alvin from Vinshine audio in Singapore, the only outlet for the Denafrips, he is a very very trustworthy person to deal with, an excellent communicator and honest.

SMPS
I do think these have a negative effect on what you hear through your system. The more modern IFI SMPS have noise filtering built in, but I still prefer using R-Core Chinese LPSU (£120) - TeraDak DC30W.

R2R Dacs
I have only listened to two. They had similar qualities: An ability to pull out detail; and, a way to project a soundstage which I could listen in to.

I listened to the Schitt Yggdrasil & the Border Patrol DAC - I bought the latter; 16/44.1 only, but really good.

That said, I also enjoyed the Lampizator Level 4; a DS DAC - one I could have happily lived with & preferred to the Schiit. It is not just the technology but also the way in which it is executed.

M

Just tried the ifispdif on the dendrips terminator and it was a no no. tried it on the roksan dp1 and dac and it was a revelation.The DAC might not be the weaker link in that combination anymore. Surprisingly its (ifi)cheaper wart power supply sounded superior in this combo than the analogue regulated one. There you go nothing is written in stone!!!

Just a quick note if anyone is interested I can now compare the following DACS , most are very old, for a very good reason.They sound superior to what I have heard over the last 10 years or so including the Brooklyn from Mytek which I have now sold. I have gone back to my roots. Progress in Hifi has been slow and painful even with all the fancy dacs and cd/dvd players that have come out. The golden era for cd seems to have been in the 90's

Looking for a new dac, with the BP on the shortlist, wondering what you went for in the end, a bit confused at the outcome...are you saying you went with a 90's dac/cd player?

Thanks for your interest in my personal journey. All I can say is that after years of messing around with expensive gear I have come to realise that my real home lies with the older equipment, which perhaps for the first time in 10 years has allowed me to sit down and actually listen to music without caring about the hifi. Pye Valve amplifiers from the 60's, old 1950s Tannoy speakers and CD players/ dacs from the 80's and 90's with the exception of one modern make the Denafrips Terminator which seems to hark back to the old days of cd players. It seems to me, anyway, in the 70's 80's 90's and even 50's and 60's, people/companies had more time and resources for R&D. It was not all about making a quick buck. They achieved qualities in hifi that have not in my opinion been surpassed to this day. I have not heard every bit of hifi gear out there to be able to say that categorically but I have tasted a large slice of it. See some of my other more recent threads for more insight. IMHO save your money there are many gems out there that cost relatively little but are so much more natural and organic sounding.
Thanks Luke

advertisement

Back