1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

I thought Apple released iOS5 today?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tuk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Tuk

Tuk pfm Member

Have Apple delayed the release of this today because of Mr Jobs sad demise?

2. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

Usually released sometime in the PM of US EST. Which starts about now-ish. Probably in the next couple of hours.

3. Anex

Anex Señor Member

About 6 ish iirc from last time.

RIP Steve Jobs. He always lived life to the Macs.

Yesssss...

4. Tuk

Tuk pfm Member

Ok, cheers!

5. SteveB

SteveB Wir sind schaufensterpuppen

It's out there now though getting a bit of a hammering to judge by the slow pace of the required iTunes 10.5 download that I'm doing.

6. Anex

Anex Señor Member

I'd leave it a while. My download has crapped out three times and started again, and now absolutely crawling along. Also it's nearly 800MB. Hoooj.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Lion 10.7.2 and online recovery feature out today too, 880MB combined for my MacBook, which is slowly sucking them off the internet as I type.

8. Tuk

Tuk pfm Member

I still get the Steve Jobs memorial page on the Apple UK site?? Has it been formally released?!

9. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

How's Lion working out for you Tony? I have avoided updating from 10.6 so far but am tempted to give it a go.....

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Fine, though it has to be said I either don't use or have turned off most of the new features - I seldom use LaunchPad, I use MissionControl exactly as I used Spaces, have turned the ridiculous upside-down mouse scrolling off etc, so hardly any change from Snow Leopard! I'm actually far more interested in what this update brings as to my mind iCloud is by far the most interesting new Lion feature, and we've had to wait until today to get to see it. I suspect it's going to be too slow to be of much use though as typical broadband upload speeds are pretty hopeless - even with iTunes Match covering my 1000+ album iTunes library it would take an absolute age to back the rest of my data up. I love the idea though, it just needs a better network infrastructure, which certainly isn't Apple's fault.

11. SteveB

Go into iTunes, look at your iphone/pad and in the summary tab is a button for the version update. You'll be prompted to get iTunes 10.5 first if that's not already installed.

12. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

I don't understand the hype. Can someone explain me why all mackies absolutely have to download the latest software update at the same time, as if their macs would explode without it.

Here you also see the genius of Apple's marketing guys. Imagine all the world awaiting the new Windows service pack... instead, all you get is cheap laughter from the mac community, saying that the Windows guys were again hoping that this update would finally cure the innumerable existing bugs. Apple, instead, sell their service packs as being milestones in the evolution of mankind. No doubt, it works.

13. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

I think I'd be the same. I'm happy with SL and don't really wanna upgrade all three machines to Lion for the sake of then find out I don't like it as much!

14. SteveB

I'm happy with SnowLep myself but assuming that Lion will (now or soon) be needed to get the best out of cloud and ios5 - or am I mistaken?

15. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

Well I've got two machines to suck down the OSX and related updates, switched to iCloud on those OK. But the iOS5 updates keep crapping out as the servers are so busy the restore checks time out. Times to watch old Frasier episodes until people go to bed and then try again.

16. Anex

Anex Señor Member

OS5 isn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be. It has about 5 minutes play time, and that's about it. Unless there's some hidden features I haven't found yet.

17. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Because iCloud is going to be sooo cooool :)

Soeone told me today that iOS5 will also allow wireless streaming from an apple device to an Apple TV. Is this true? If so, it will have a big impact in the Corporate world (imagine presenting in front of a crowd via an iPad onto a big screen wirelessly!). I'll go out and buy 10 Apple TVs for the company pretty much immediately if this is the case and it works.

Richard

18. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Well Dropbox has been there for quite some time and contrary to iCloud, at least you know what's going on and who has the rights to see what. Well I do hope that you can share your iCloud stuff with others can't you.

About the big impact on the corporate world, just hook your beamer to a small and silent barebone PC, pilot the latter from your android tablet (VNC is your friend) although I presume that even an iPad is somehow able to do so, which is probably an important factor when your customers are of the 'cool' kind (advertising, teachers, etc.).

Wireless HDMI can already be had, it's probably not yet perfect but if it works you won't even need an AppleTV or any other streamer thingy.

19. garyi

garyi leave blank

I removed lion from both macs that had it on and returned to Leopard, just far far to many issues when using other apps, or indeed trying to do anything useful.

The last straw on my macbook was at the office, when plugging an external monitor in the wireless stopped working, (no really)

20. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Ok wifi sync is pretty snazzy. I've wanted that since iPhone 1.