advertisement

Hummmm

fredster

pfm Member
Hi all.

I recently moved all my gear ( mostly Naim ) to a new room and onto a new rack. I am having issue with some background noise, half way between a hum and a ticking. The odd thing is it gets louder when I place my hand on certain boxes, particularly the Supercap. But the sound is not affected in any way by the volume control.

Any ideas what I am dealing with here ? Could is be earthing / or placement maybe ?

first check its not a buzzing transformer vibrating if so tighten slightly
then if your mains cable plugs are not moulded type check the earth wire has not pulled out
then check your interconnects for continuity especially the grounds pin to pin
sounds to me like a transformer loose
Glenn

Not affected by the volume control - maybe it's physical.
I recently bought a new TV, and when it's on it makes an irregular clicking. Turns out it's caused by thermal expansion of the casework as the set warms up.
You sure nothing's getting a bit overheated ?

No its not a heat thing, the router could be a possibility, I have just installed a power circuit router extender to stream Tidal. I bet its that. My plan is to hard wire the Ethernet when a new flat cable turns up. I will try removing the Ethernet extender and stick to vinyl for a bit !

Just to keep you in touch, without me changing anything a lot of the sound had gone. Maybe just the disturbance of the move and switching around all the cable was enough to upset the system. I went through and re-checked and cleaned any connections anyway and that helped a bit too. So after that I was left with only a small amount of background noise, not enough to notice while music playing. I tried changing the Ethernet power socket connector for a direct cable, this didn't seem to make any difference, but things had already improved dramatically by this stage.

So I guess the overall outcome is, if you make changes like this re-location, make sure you clean and double-check all the connections as you do it and then sit back and leave it to settle for a week if you have any noise and it may just sort itself out !

advertisement

Back